DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gotham - Batman prequel show

Basel Gill

I only saw part of one episode, and it was only once I saw Colm Meaney pop up that I knew what I was watching, but Christopher Heyerdahl (Gruber/Electrocutioner) was prominent in the parts I saw, and was pretty intense.

Also, Penguin as Bullock's bonsai tree is a wonderful mental image. Actually pretty much everything Bullock said this episode was hilarious.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

I only saw part of one episode, and it was only once I saw Colm Meaney pop up that I knew what I was watching, but Christopher Heyerdahl (Gruber/Electrocutioner) was prominent in the parts I saw, and was pretty intense.

Also, Penguin as Bullock's bonsai tree is a wonderful mental image. Actually pretty much everything Bullock said this episode was hilarious.

Did you laugh when whats his face made that zoo comment to Penguin? I know I did!

Not even a rerun tonight. Instead we get a repeat of the hiphop soap opera that Fox has been shoving down everyone's throats for months. Generally, when a network spends a majority of its time telling me "YOU WILL LOVE THIS SHOW! YOU MUST WATCH THIS SHOW!", then I try to avoid that show.

Not even a rerun tonight. Instead we get a repeat of the hiphop soap opera that Fox has been shoving down everyone's throats for months. Generally, when a network spends a majority of its time telling me "YOU WILL LOVE THIS SHOW! YOU MUST WATCH THIS SHOW!", then I try to avoid that show.

True dat

are ya;ll talking about the one with the rap family or the mideval themed musical?

cause i'm avoiding both  xD

and yeah, whats with the break this week.  Gotham literally just came off a month hiatus  o.0  on a side note, i thought my DVR was being a dick by missing a recording.  glad to know it wasn't  xD

but it has been known to do that <_<

are ya;ll talking about the one with the rap family or the mideval themed musical?

and yeah, whats with the break this week.  Gotham literally just came off a month hiatus  o.0  on a side note, i thought my DVR was being a dick by missing a recording.  glad to know it wasn't  xD

The rap one. IMO if the network was as excited about that show as their hype says they are, then it would've premiered in the fall.

And the break is downright weird. What sense does it make to bring a fall show back from the December hiatus, have one new episode, then pull it again for a rerun of a totally different show?

The rap one. IMO if the network was as excited about that show as their hype says they are, then it would've premiered in the fall.

And the break is downright weird. What sense does it make to bring a fall show back from the December hiatus, have one new episode, then pull it again for a rerun of a totally different show?

Maybe Rupert Murdoch is pushing Empire so hard, because he's trying to get the 'black demographic' to find Fox News more appealing by putting a 'black show' on its sister network? :wink:

Any time a show opens up with Johnny Cash, it had better follow it up.

Electrocutioner proper was pretty fun, although I was kind of expecting to see more of him. Laughed my ass off at Gordon's takedown of him, though, and his response to it. Nygma definitely seemed to get a bit of inspiration from him in the middle of his increasing ostracization.

John Doman usually gets looked over when taking stock of the acting on Gotham, but every now and then he reminds you why he's playing the most powerful mob boss in the city. Sorry to see Liza go that way; she wasn't exactly clean, but she didn't earn that. Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown Gotham.

I wasn't expecting Fish to make her move this early, nor was I expecting it to seem so... half-assed. Totally worth it, though, for Penguin taking a full episode of abuse only to end it with that enormous shit-eating grin on his face. Next week should be even more fun.

Also nice to see Peter Scolari, a perpetual Hey It's That Guy.

Oh, and it's kind of sad that Gordon has way, way more chemistry with Thompkins than with the woman he's supposed to end up with. The downside, I suppose, of doing an ongoing series where there's a specific future status quo. Although lately I've been getting the feeling that they're writing in Barbara's canonical instability gradually so that her ass can be getting treated in Arkham for a while. That one scene with her parents gave us more insight into her character and background than anything we've had before, all through subtext.

I'm guessing Penguin's time working in Maroni's restaurant is coming to an end. He's totally lost Maroni's trust now after that slip about Falcone.

And the way Gordon took down Gruber was fun, but it seemed kinda obvious. I'd spent about the previous thirty minutes thinking "Why doesn't someone just throw water on it?"

so its official.  i love this show :wub:  best "show based off a super hero" show ever imo and ranks easily in my top 5 all time favorite shows (which means it'll probably get cancelled <_< )

cheekiness aside xD

Gordons yummy.  didn't think that at first ...  but the more i watch the show the more yummy i find him.  the locker scene sealed it with me for him though :wub:   granted he's no Jamie Lannister or Darren Criss; but he's nice to look at *nods* 

it will be interesting to see where this goes.  Penguin is obviously gonna take over Fish's establishment; which plays right into his story arc that we all know well.  he's got Falcones ear for this, so he's easily 2nd in charge now (all be it, unoffically or until he takes out the other goons).  He can't play both sides any longer though without getting severely bit in the process.  on the safe side, he should cut ties with Maroni and just stick to Falcone.  he has better footing in Falcones gang and more influence.  BUT ...  with this latest move against Fish and succeeding and getting Falcones trust even more ...  i can see Penguin becoming even more of an egotistical narcissist and trying to play Maroni against Falcone to merge the two empires before making a move for them.

either way, and whatever side Penguin chooses to align with ...  the other side will be gunning for him because he knows too damn much.

i'm sad to see the main antagonist to Penguin go in season 1.  i'm guessing that they plan for her cohorts to take her spot as Penguins antagonists (or perhaps Maroni to take her place, if Falcone cleans house (and imo Falcone will be cleaning house)).  but Jada Smith is a great actor and i enjoyed her character very much.   i hope she escapes tbh  i think her downfall was out of character.  it felt rushed tbh. 

i wish that Gordon's stint would have lasted longer in Arkham, to explore the Asylum more.  the Electrocutioner was a good villian, i would have liked to see him go a few episodes, or go on hiatus to return out of the blue as a shocker (yes pun intended).  the actor they got to play him though ....   thats EXACTLY what i pictured Strange to look like.  typically i hate re-casts ...  but i wouldn't mind it for him, just because he fits Strange so well.

i have to agree with you guys about Barabra.  shes annoying.  i dont like her character, i dont care about her character, i find her cut scenes to be "bath room break" material and i really hope she just, goes away.

my favorite scene was near the end with Gordon, the Commissioner and Harvey

Gordon: next person who trys to take my badge, i'll make them eat it.

Harvey: i hope you have some nasty pics of him, cause i'm guessing what you said to him wasn't nice at all

Gordon: *recklessly* i'm tiered of playing it safe

Harvey: you actually believe you've been playing it safe?

:laugh:   poor Harvey, and i said the same thing when Gordon said that too, about the playing it safe lmao

so its official.  i love this show :wub:  best "show based off a super hero" show ever imo and ranks easily in my top 5 all time favorite shows (which means it'll probably get cancelled <_< )

It's already been renewed for a second season; granted, this is Fox, and we've seen examples in the past of how much that renewal is worth in the long run, but just to be a genre show and have gotten that far is more than dozens of others have managed.

I don't think Fish is done just yet; the teasers for next week show her taking her punishment, at least. I think if she were done on the show, she would've eaten a bullet last night. I don't know if Falcone is straight up giving her over to Penguin, but I can definitely see Penguin taking his time in rubbing her nose in his victory over her.

Aw, Butch  :sad:

Nygma dissecting his Chinese takeout  :laugh:

Penguin doing a complete 180 the moment Fish hits his berserk button calling him a nobody. Also, he really needs to learn when to shut up. That little slip is going to bite him in the ass.

Also, "Marie Mercedes Mooney"? Really?

Poor Bruce gets another nice kick in his faith in people. Also, there goes that little pairing for a while. Shame, because I liked the two of them together. Ivy extorting $20 from Bruce and the rapid modulation of expression on Alfred's face in response were pretty hilarious, though.

Next week we get Scarecrow's dad, also named Scarecrow apparently!

solid episode *nods*  next week is gonna be great.  2 hours long if i read the promo right  :wub:

poor Butch *nods*  would much prefer death in that situation.  i actually couldn't believe that Sazz missed that first shot tbh.  i thought he was sorta like deadshot, in that he rarely missed?

glad that Fish isn't done yet, she's a wonderful antagonist.  also glad to see the swing in GCPD starting to happen.

They weren't very clear on whether it would be a two-parter aired all at once or over both weeks.

I think this is the first continuity in which Zsasz has been a hitman and thus used guns with any frequency; prior to this, i think knives were always his thing, as he was more of a serial murderer.

What the hell was that ending?

As good as Cillian Murphy was in the Nolan films as Scarecrow, he never really fit my mental picture of the character. Now Julian Sands in this episode, holy crap did they nail it. That guy has been a creeper all the way back to Boxing Helena. Too bad he was playing his father and not the full-fledged Scarecrow; the actor playing him looks an awful lot more like Murphy.

Penguin, I can't decide if you're brilliant or an idiot or both but I love you. And I love Maroni! Kind of a shame that they've already nipped that arc, because it means we're that much less likely to keep getting scenes of Maroni kicking it with his homies and being a general bro-don. Deceptively quick for his size indeed.

Continue to be amazed at how much chemistry Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin have, especially during that last scene of theirs, especially in light of how little he has with Erin Richards. That's the kind of chemistry that can seriously screw up your long-term story planning, like Sarah Michelle Gellar having way more chemistry with James Marsters than David Boreanaz, despite which one was playing her "all-time great love".

Where exactly did Nygma come into a stash of body parts to be able to frame the M.E? Nice display of his ability to be both cunning and ruthless with "inferior intellects" who get in his way.

Well Red, barring the idea that they're just trolling us hard, looks like you're getting one of your wishes next week.

Could still be them trolling us, though. I mean, the teases for this week set off major Batcave alarms in the fandom, which came to nothing, plus a meeting between Penguin and Nygma that was amusing but went nowhere.

This episode had quite a few badass moments which didn't equal a great whole because the show still had ADHD and can't focus very long on any one plotline; they keeping having to focus on fifteen of them at once. As strong as some of the Bruce stuff was, I think they should have held it off for another episode, just to give some more attention to the rest of the plots. For a while I forgot Cranes Senior and Junior were even in this episode.

That said, we finally see Fish being a BAMF, staring down rapey dudes and stabbing her way into taking charge of wherever the hell she is in a matter of hours.

We got to see Bruce take a transition from doe-eyed confused Bruce to rage-filled survivalist Bruce. Let it all out, honey.

While I was annoyed by Crane's motivation being a fridged wife, the atmosphere was really creepy (that house and the grounds were lifted straight out of Burton's Sleepy Hollow), and the hallucinations were even better. All the Scarecrow bits at the end were surprisingly effective.

Also, "Oswald's"? Not the Iceberg Lounge just yet, huh? Maybe he'll save that for when he moves up to bigger and better. Nice that he still ended up working an umbrella into the decor, despite not being heavily associated with one yet in this series (while he was Fish's "umbrella boy", we haven't really seen him using it as a cane as he ought). Also, Falcone is a straight up nasty piece of work when you get right into it.

Also, they're already releasing promo pics for two episodes from now, spoiling the fact that

Butch is alive and well, and Selina will be spending time hanging out with Barbara of all people

The hallucinations were really good. But this episode was all over the place, and it typified the show's overall weakness. Since it has premiered, Gotham has had trouble figuring what it wants to be. Is it a superhero origin show? Is it a cop show? Is it a mob drama? Yes, to all three. Some episodes succeed in bringing one storyline to the forefront. Others have a mishmash of formats that never really focuses on any one thing. This was one of the latter.

its not the joker.   the kid is a fanastic actor (he plays a bipolar kid on Showtime's "Shameless")  and my god he did a wonderful trolling for the Joker (seriously who ever they get to play the Joker needs to be that psychotic).

the acting itself made you say "thats the Joker"  it was like Heath Ledger's Joker and Jack Nichlson's Joker & Jack's Shinning Character all had a baby, who was then named Jerome.

but its not the Joker.   i'll be happy if it is the Joker ....  but its not the Joker.   the Show was trying to hard to sell him as the Joker.  Ding-Ding from Breaking Bad's costume was straight out of the 60's Adam West show.  this guy is reveled to be Jeromes dad and connected to the character we're believing is the Joker. 

The coming form the circus, which has clowns, which is heavily connected to the Joker, giving a character who has no canon background a joined background with Dick Greyson doesn't make sense (and is the main reason i'm not 100% sold on this begin the Joker) ....  the hype around "dude this is the Joker" in the promo's.  even the age difference between Bruce and the Jokers is correct ....

and then i recall the directors words from that article i posted a few weeks ago.  where they stated they weren't ready for the Joker in Season 1 and were gonna have fun trolling the audience with the character.  the actor was great.  i loved his performance.   i hate the director for trolling with the Joker and while i secretly hope and wouldn't be displeased if it was the Joker ...  i'm not falling for it.  i do hope that they do something with Jerome though >:)

i loved the Scarecrow, and unlike ya'll i think they did a good job juggling the 4 story arcs simultaneously in the previous episode.  i love that Fish is still in the game, her character is a wonderful addition to the Gotham Universe imo.  they're setting up the arc for the Scarecrow to be put in the Asylum, which is wonderful.

i'm seriously biting at the bit right now for Dr Strange to be introduced.   gah i cannot wait for his character to come in and start shaking things up

I think there was even a bit of Cesar Romero's Joker in Monaghan's performance. Mostly in the laugh. Plus, "Jerome Karlsson"? At least it's not as on-the-nose as "Joe Kerr".

Red, I love how when they look like they're actually giving you part of what you wanted, you're certain they're just screwing with you; it's adorable, really. Not that I disagree; if he were actually meant to be the Joker, I don't think they would have advertised it so heavily, thus spoiling the episode's plot resolution.

You know, even after watching it again on Hulu to make sure there wasn't anything I missed thanks to divided attention last night, I'm still not convinced I saw the entire episode. There seemed to be too much space where chunks of the story were missing.

I was rather bemused by the fact that Barbara, no matter her level of intoxication, returns to her apartment after at least a month to find it inhabited by two adolescent street girls eating whatever of her food is still edible, and her only real reaction to their unexpected presence is to go "huh" and start asking them for dating advice. A nice little touch I noticed the second time around is that civilized living with Selina seems to be agreeing with Ivy, as her hair is clean and the dark circles under her eyes are gone. For the first time I could see more of Poison Ivy in her than just her hair color. Everyone has been talking for months about how Camren Bicondova looks like a mini Michelle Pfeiffer; I'm wondering how all of the child actors on this show would look as their adult personas.

Archived