DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Medieval Mayhem (SCA and other medieval related chatter)

LadyWordsmith

here is a pic of my late medieval weapons: 

1888532_10203221526161538_766623265_n.jp

dagger is 62 cm, onehanded sword 102cm, longsword 122cm. The pic has my old helmet in it. That type of helmets has been banned within our group after a few accidents (swordpoint through eyeopening) without serious injury. I broke my nose like that once. So, here's a pic of my new 14th century bascinet.

63964_10204968156946216_5655205888030504

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to vent a bit, sorry in advance.

Together with the rest of the 'southern staff', we set up an annual plan with goals for this year, and general plans to keep the group going. If nothing changes, the current group will be bankrupt end of next year. We have lack of income and will need to move to find other sources. Among the suggestions was creating real re-enactment groups within the current group, so we could participate in more events, get our name known in other groups, other people, and hope to get more events in like that. We also added new measures for safety during fights, general houserules and a future vision of what we think the group might become.

Unfortunately, the current daily administration shot down all plans, even will lessen chances of ANY kind of re-enactment in future times. They stubbornly stick to THEIR idea of what the group needs to be, being 14th century. Problem is, none of the equipment available is 14th century, and they are too stubborn too even admit THAT.

Sunday, the 'southern staff' will talk to all the volunteers present, ask them what THEY think, and then we will probably reveal that the entire staff is thinking about founding a group of their own due to lack of vision of the current daily administration.. It'll come to that, i'm sure.

I'm immensely frustrated about the administration. We handed them a good, executable solution to keep the group going for a couple of years... and they refuse... They just added the last nail to their coffin....

I'm also sad...

b9764338de7d19ce54c606e88c24bc97cde8300b

• 2 weeks later...

Those are awesome!  Are you any good with them?

i definately stand my ground, and when using sword and shield, i'm very hard to beat. In my group, i am the in-official sword and shield instructor for masterclasses. I know how to get past shield defense, break shieldwalls without weapons and use my shield as secondary weapon. I switched to steel longsword and steel shield. Improved reach for the sword helps a lot, even if it's harder to fight one-handed with a longsword.

Sorry to hear that Thane. :( its always hard when those at the top don't want to listen.

Well, they wouldn't listen, and they will see the consequences. Our own group is being set up, and hopefully all organised by the end of the month. That's when we have our first official even already. Personally, i am not putting that much effort into the 'old group' anymore. I'll still be going, but i won't be working my ass off like i did last year. I have switched to other priorities.

Saturday is going to be madness.

12:30 - 18:00 Showfighting, sworddemo, archery demo, historical teachings to the audience. 

18:00 - 22:00 BBQ with showfighting to entertain the crows

22:00 - 3:00 Gladiator style tournament during a party evening. 

So, that means, a full day of fighting... And there'll only be 8 swordfighters to do the entire day. Any volunteers?

one busted wrist, 3 bruised fingers and 2 bruised ribs later, the event is done. Wow... it was hard... but fun, and we managed to get our name around. Might look good for future events.

I got home at 2:30, got to bed around 3:00, and been up since 7:00 again with the kids.... yeah, it's 7:35 pm now and i don't think i'll stay awake much longer. :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Both? It depends on what we're talking about. I am finishing up a 12th century bliaut, but most of my older garb I bought because I needed it quickly. I taught myself to lucet, so I don't buy cord anymore, I make you.

But I bought my longbow. And I'll probably both buy and make my armor (I've started fighting).

i buy weapons. I don't have the blacksmithing means to make the on my own. Only thing i did that comes close is attach my spearhead to a wooden shaft, that's it. And fairly simple.

I have people in my group who help make clothing, which is great. If you have to buy accurate clothing (wool, linnen), they can cost a lot. Sometimes just buying the materials is cheaper (if you know where to look).

The one thing i really do myself is making round shields, viking age. I have a larger party of wood, for free, which i use to make them from. Overall diameter around 31.5 inches, weight about 13.5 lbs. Here's a pic, still needs a shieldboss (being made by our own apprentice blacksmith) Production costs are about $20, which is a lot cheaper than buying one (between $80 and $100)

11075011_10206181385276166_5868336229105 

for the edges, i used this:

134664_0.jpg 

i soak 4-5 of those for 2 full days, so they become souple. Then, i use basic upholstery nails to attach and it needs to dry for 2-3 days. It's quite a cheap solution, whilst still using original materials. Buying rawhide strips easily costs double or triple compared to buying the dog bones and working it yourself a bit. 

The shieldboss will be made by smiths who are part of our re-enactment group. So, they get training, i get free shieldbosses. Win-Win situation :biggrin:

I'd make a profit if i'd sell my shield for about $40.-. And, seeing the good quality wood i use, people get worth for their money. Too bad shipping would be so damn expensive (at the weight of a shield), otherwise i could make to order internationally.. 

Archived