DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Medieval Mayhem (SCA and other medieval related chatter)

LadyWordsmith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiarthbeorn, that's awesome!!

Where did you order your stuff from, Thane? That will look amazing!!

I'm working on making a Viking apron dress pretty. I made a Celtic Tree of Life in Norse Applique that I'm stitching on the front and using a lucet to make braided cord to do scroll work around it. I also found a beautiful divine to add to the hem of both the apron dress and the under tunic! I need to have it done in two weeks.

Go ahead... Laugh.

Our group currently has a sort of military based structure. We have our squires, men-at-arms.. then we have corporals, sergeants and officers. Usually, the corporals and sergeants are 'regimental', so one each for swordfighting and archery. They are responsible for overal training of the men and women in their discipline. 

Last year, after only 2 years of membership, i was promoted to Officer. This means: i am respinsible for overal training, armory and organising all events in my region. I have an excellent team, so that helps. I organised our groups part of a big medieval tournament last year, and helped the location with overall planning. That was a great succes for all participants. (Unfortunately, the event didn't make enough money, so it will not take place this year) Next to that, i run the Viking group. So, yeah, quite busy. 

How are people 'promoted' ? We look at peoples qualities and, seeing we're still a growing group, promote the people who 1)  put most effort and time and 2)  show the highest skills in their discipline. 

Looking good, Thane!!!

Congrats to your new Knight, Hairth!

People are promoted based on their service to the Crown in their kingdom and, generally, the Chivalry (in Meridies, that means the Knights) agreeing that this person would add to their order. That's true for all three high orders in my Kingdom, though. People write letters of recommendation for awards and the Crown decides whether to award it or not.

Fun times.

I got my Award of Arms in six months, which is seriously unheard of in this Kingdom. Now, my Dad has to call me "Lady Laurencia" so it's totally worth it.

It sounds like a good system :happy: and it would annoy me if i'd have to call my daughter(s) Lady :wink:

We usually don't really enfore the ranks upon our people though. They know who's in charge, and we have great times.

For instance, last training we had, i stepped up to the group, told them a hostile force would approach within 5 minutes and they'd have to get he defenses of the castle ready. Fun times, too. First time someone in charge actually did something like that, and everybody loved it. 

It should be noted that "promotion" is based on service. It took me two years to get my AoA and it took our Seneschal _thirty years_ to become knighted. Others achieve it quickly, others don't. It's not an arbitrary system but rather something that attempts to measure the individual as a person within the chivalric virtues.

In the end, it depends on the people who take the decision for the 'promotion' too. I had a corporal last year.... who, after his promotion, never bothered to show up anymore. The guy looked motivated, had the 'old' senior staff fooled, and actually never wanted responsibility and just to have fun. 

Luckily, i have a new one, and if it's up to me, he'll be sarge in a few years. 

That's grounds for an argument right there, dear. I bet you'd enjoy the SCA, even with rattan weapons.

I can't go to Gulf Wars this year because it doesn't line up with my school break. I'm mad as $!/&*! about it, too.

recent events have been good. I think my groups will be quite busy with vikinghistory and showfighting events this year. We might need to retrain some fighters to be able to fence, seeing there's local musketeer historical events going on later on this year.

Ofcourse, all of you are invited should you make it to Ye Olde Europe *nods* 

And yeah, i think i'd rather enjoy SCA events :biggrin:

There are plenty of people who do slow drills and form work with steel weapons.

I got bonked on the head with a longsword at an academy event a few weeks ago. Good clean fun all around.

how about full out fights/sparring with steel? We don't hand new people steel weapons, certainly, but all the 'seasoned' fighters go close to full contact during training. I got plenty of dents in my old helmet and 4 destroyed wooden shields in 2 years

We do have a "cut and thrust" martial field but it does require some pretty rigorous armoring and training authorizations. I don't know much about it (I should as a marshal) but, in our kingdom, a lot of the upper tier fighters participate. I think if a marshal got to know you at practice, you would probably authorize a lot quicker.

it alawys depends on the fighter i think. Some people qualify faster than others. The thing they need to show is control. We specifically train in swinging fast and hard, but holding back at the last moment so we don't hit the opponent full strength. It takes more strength to stop a blade like that, and it makes good training. When people show they manage with PP-swords, they can slowly start with borrowed steel weapons (provided by out guild). We do not encourage buying steel weapons before one is ready.

One of our biggest problems is getting people to participate in consensual violence. They are absolutely terrified of hurting someone (and I recognize that this is a virtue) so the first year is spent developing controlled aggression. Here's how you fight in a way that puts your sparring partner on the defensive and here are the emotional boundaries where Awful Things happen - it's incredibly difficult for the newcomer as they are also developing the strength to pursue fighting. I think I've gotten pretty good at coaching and working with newcomers and I prefer that it is difficult for them. Someone who's flippant or indifferent to the possibilities of injury is going to become a problem. Thankfully, we haven't had many of those pass our way.

Part of the issue stems from the fact that we fight with intent in full enclosure armor. We have a beautifully sturdy barrier between ourselves and bodily injury and we tend to make some tactical decisions that would be impractical, dangerous or lethal in a real melee. Sparring with less armor has been a welcome challenge for me.

So! What swordsmiths do you recommend? My first real sword was a Viking trainer made by Darksword Armory - it's lively and rings like a bell. I've been eyeing a Fabri Armorum trainer and am valiently resisting temptation.

we usually work with 2 different websites for our weapons:

Celticwebmerchant  I have bought my weapons mainly here, and i am very satisfied with the weapons they have delivered. Battleready, well balanced swords.

Battlemerchant   Mainly bought pieces or armor (helmets, chainmail) here. great quality.

Both websites work with several swordmanufacturers, depending on the type of weapon. I have never had anything of low quality here, and the prizes are good.

Archived