DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Medieval Mayhem (SCA and other medieval related chatter)

LadyWordsmith

I buy a lot of swords and knives and general equipment specific to my focus at http://www.kultofathena.com

We have very specific armor requirements, so most of the armor generally available online is either inadequate (too flimsy, less-than-ideal joint coverage) or universally sized (which, in the way of armor, is a yucky.)  Since I'm only 175 soaking wet and 6'1", there isn't a whole lot that will fit me in the universal armor department.  My lamellar is awesome and that's one piece of armor I was able to buy and wear right out of the box but everything else is either custom made by me or an armorer or tailored to fit.

Reenactment goods like personal grooming, camp items and garb bling is a little more expensive than I'd like it to be, so I usually make one or two middling purchases here and there to keep the kit expanding. I also try to make what I can.

Lore, what sort of armor are you looking for? I have a lot of contacts with armorers than I can pass along to you. They seem to be migrating to Etsy and I've had a lot of luck finding stuff there.

On my end, big things are happening.  Our Shire is practically bursting with activity and we're seriously looking at becoming a Barony.  We have had an explosion of Arts and Science productivity and we seem to be getting bigger as a group in leaps and bounds.  It's pretty awesome.

I was taken as a Man-at-Arms to our Seneschal a few weeks ago and I have a spiffy blue belt and a tomahawk with his symbol burnt into the handle.  We're talking a lot about the nature of chivalry and service and it's becoming much more like a mentorship with some fighting thrown in for fun.  

And I made a new ensemble.  My wenching has become notorious and people are now requesting that I go to events in drag and I am vain and frivolous and like making new things.  So, here is my brightly colored apron dress.

20150310_203134_RichtoneHDR-1_zpsihsxggg

My own mother says I look preggo.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmao that's awesome!!!

I found a gambeson online that I'm going to put a motorcycle jacket under until I can afford/make my steel arms and coat of plates. I am going to buy cops for my knees and Kyn said he'd help me make full legs out of them. Squee! I'm going mid 14th century for my kit.

As for where I buy stuff... I dunno because I haven't bought armor yet. I'll share links when I do, though!

I have to say, concerning sizes and such, the websites i buy at also provide a service to personalize your armor. So, you give the measurements, and they make them accordingly. There isn't a lot of armorers around here to make things like full plate armor.

All my items so far have been spot on, and fit really well. And if something doesn't fit, customer service will see to it that i will have something fitting. it's nice.

We're doing late 14th century in our group too. I already have the gambeson (a good one, protected me from broken ribs a few times), gauntlets, helmet, longsword, steel shield... i just need leg protection and i'd be good. ftr, i use a longsword as a one-hand weapon

Armstreet is NICE!!! dangerous, though. My wallet doesn't like me window shopping. LOL

Yyyeah. There are certain shops I refuse to visit on or around pay day.

Armstreet has a nice dress I would look killer in. >_>

We'll see. I sacrifice so much for beauty. *glorious vanity GLORIOUS*

$15? REALLY!?! Holy crap! 

The hardest part about making your own is the water sealant. You have to put a couple of coats on it and you have to get it even and cover every inch. It's harder than you think...

*laughs* there's something to be said for handmade leather! I'm hoping I can finally get some period shoes and one of my Shiremates found the perfect pair at Gulf Wars that I just HAVE to have! 

I have to be careful about shoes because I've developed Plantaar Fasciitis (loads of fun, let me tell ya!) in the last year. 

So.

Our Seneschal's car was broken into Friday night and all of his armor was stolen.  The entire kit is a late Dark Ages/early Crusade armor rig that he built by hand over the course of the last year.  The gauntlets alone were an investment of eighty hours of labor in his shop.  We pepperedthe entire city with fliers and reward posters while the rest of us scoured Craigslist, ebay and pawnshops.  Last night, somebody posted on the city's lost and found page that they had found the armor.  Apparently, the thieves dumped the entire bag into a bush outside the high school a few blocks from his house.  Some of our Shirefolk are helping out the young woman who returned the armor with home-baked pies and other things of gratitude.  He's reclaiming the armor from the police this afternoon.

Important Rule.  Don't keep expensive things in your car.

wow.. that is lucky. I guess the people who broke into the car didn't realize the value (or they did, and knew it would be traced easily). Glad that everything is back though

If i leave stuff in the car, i put it in the garage, out of view and safely locked *nods*

Archived