DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's your favorite sport in the Winter Olympics?

Since we are the Travel Social Group, suppose you were able to travel to Sochi and watch some events. What tops your list of events to see?

Mine are:

1. Couples figure skating

2. Curling

3. Speed Skating

I like sports like bobsled, luge, etc, but I imagine they would be a lot more boring live without the TV commentary. On the other hand, I might like figure skating more without Captain Obvious telling me things like "they love being out on the ice" as if it is a useful nugget of insight.

And yes, I actually like curling. I love shuffleboard... curling is shuffleboard, but with more strategy and on ice, so it is a good thing!

One caveat.... I can't stand when the announcers rave about how something is the best score EVER in a sport... when the current scoring scheme was developed less than 4 years ago. About as meaningful as if goals in soccer were changed to be worth 20 points each, and then raving that a team broke a world record for most points in a game.

I like the Biathalon where they ski and shoot and that is followed by curling because I just find it interesting how they slide the "rock" across the ice and then the people in front have to use the brooms to clear the ice ahead.  It is very strategic and pretty interesting.

I've thought that (disregarding knee injuries) if I ever did an Olympic sport, I would probably be best at the biathlon. I love shooting a lot. Never gone skiing, but I think I would enjoy it.

Figure skating has always been my favourite since I used to watch Robin Cousins as a very young child and then of course, Torville & Dean... magic on ice. That fascination still holds me spellbound.

Also curling. It's very big here in Scotland and my ex hubby used to play so it kinda grew on me.

• 3 weeks later...

SOCHI, Russia – There is a new sport sweeping these Winter Olympics, and the Russians aren't faring too well at it. Well, Russian men at least. Russian women are doing just fine.

In between watching Evgeni Plushenko get injured and Russia get Oshie'd and ice dancers twizzle about, Russian women are partaking in an age-old custom: flirting. And according to local women, after looking at what the international scene has to offer, they're saying Russian men don't deserve gold, silver or bronze.

It was Anna who first told me this. An Olympic volunteer, she wore the kind of boredom that can only rest on the face of someone who spends eight hours a day scanning barcodes of journalists' accreditation passes and not getting paid a dime for it.

After a few minutes of idle chatter, I asked her what her favorite memory of the Olympics would be. "The people I met," she said thoughtfully, starting a narrative that began like it came from the "Politically Correct Things That Volunteers Should Say to Nosy Journalists" handbook. But then she flipped the script.

"Actually, the men I met," she added in near-perfect English. "I know what I want now. I want to marry a foreign man."

Companies like  A Foreign Affair have know this for years, Kenneth Agee Marketing director  for A Foreign  Affair say, " Russian women once exposed to American or European men are hooked.  The difference in culture make foreign men very appealing to Russian and Ukrainian women." A Foreign Affair operates singles tour to 15 different countries introducing  men to foreign women.  Their  web site boasts that an average social events have  20 to 30 men and 100 to 300 women.

America Men 1, Russian Men 0

Archived