DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I can't sleep

Tigara

For the past 5 or 6 days, it has taken me 1 to 2 hours to fall aslep after I go to bed. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that I could try that would help me get to sleep faster.

Note: Counting sheep never works. Don't suggest that.

Guest Emperor

Reading. A good book makes my eyes flutter.

Work out in the evening. If you work out in the early evening, you are more likely to be tired at night.

What time do you get up? I find when I sleep in I have trouble falling asleep.

Yeah, the best tip is a regular sleeping schedule.

Other than that, when I can't sleep, I lie on my back with my hands on my sides and not open my eyes. I'll say to myself "this is the last time my eyes are open before I wake up", then I just lie there until I fall asleep.

You poor thing. My husband is a chronic insomniac. Its hard on both of us sometimes, especially when he's gone a week or more without sleep.

What works for Seggie, when I can convince him its worth it, is no TV or computer for an hour before bed time, no caffiene all day and waking up at the same time every morning, regardless of what time he went to bed. If we strictly follow that regimine, he sleeps fine. But then I'm denying him his favorite things, video games, mountain dew, sleeping in... =)

Pfff. Quantum physics would be interesting. Pick up some Shakespeare :P

What I do before bed is read something fun, something I won't get too emotionally involved in. Most of the time when I can't sleep, it's because I'm dwelling on some concern of mine, and reading helps me clear my head.

Shakespeare is great! mind you I don't read it in bed mainly cause I have his complete works in one huge tome!

For me, getting to sleep is rarely a problem, but on the occasion that I can't I sniff some Lavender essence, great to help you drop off!

Interruption to this post: Yay! Snow has arrived, as i type it is nearly midnight and snow is falling outside and seems to be sticking! Yay for snow!!!! *bounces*

The best thing to do is to NOT stay in bed worrying about how you can't sleep. Get out of bed and do something passive, like watching a mild (non-action packed) TV program, doing boring homework, or reading a book that you won't get too involved in (e.g. not a WoT book or something that will make you want to stay up all night to finish it). Go back to bed when you start feeling too tired to continue the activity.

Don't exercise within 4-6 hours before you go to bed, or you will be too energized to fall asleep. A good time to exercise is late afternoon, right after school and before supper.

Sometimes, a paradoxical intervention works. Tell yourself that you will stay up until 4 a.m. (or another hour way later than you usually fall asleep) and try your hardest not to fall asleep until that time. Some people find that it works because they eventually give up and go to sleep.

Try Valerian, or something like that unsure to the correct spelling i used to have troubles sleeping for a bit, its a herbal pill so dont worry, i just sont know if its available anymore i dont use it anymore

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_(plant)

see.

though id talk to a doc first, they may even tell you about this.

Kath: I could try not watching TV or playing vidoe games, but the only time I get to use the internet is shortly before bed.

Dwyn: I would watch TV or read a book, but then I get in trouble for not trying to sleep. The staying up late only works sometimes for me.

Maria: I do have a regular sleeping schedule. I go to bed between 10 and 10:30 and I wake up at 7:20.(unless my alarm doesn't want to work, then my Mom wakes me up at 8 for breakfast)

Larmie: That could work. I'll try it.

arg, I hate it when I can't sleep! I usually try to focus on my breathing. Seriously, Tam's flame and void technique DOES work! It's actually a real practice some yogis use! I first focus on making my inhale and exhales longer. then I count (not sheep!). As I inhale I count 'one' in my head and envision the flame dying down. As I exhale I count 'two' and envision the flame growing back to normal size. I only count to ten and then start over. If any thoughts interrupt you just start back at one. That usually gets me to sleep in ten-fifteen minutes. Hope it helps!

Well, last night I got a good sleep. It only took 10-15 minutes to fall asleep.

First, I made some herbal tea which relaxed me. Next, I went ot bed and took some deep breaths.

lastly, I did what Maria suggested and didn't open my eyes and kept my hands by my sides and thought of nothing. It worked! thanks for all your suggestions!!

*hugs everyone*

*thinks*

*glomps*

Archived