DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did they ever explain how Olver was able to sound the horn?

Dagon Thyne

Sammael wasn't a deliberate sacrifice, if Sammael died why should Moridn care?  His death ensured Samm would stop trying to kill Rand but Moridin wasn't going to go out of his way to aid or stop Sammael.  He was more concerned with Rand not getting himself killed.  Semirhage yes I believe was sacrificed as not only punishment for being captured, for nearly killing Rand, but also as a way to draw rand closer to the darkside by forcing him to watch someone he cared for harmed.  She might of had strict instructions on what she was suppose to do.  The main reason Ishy was brought back was as punishment.  The Do knew Ishy wanted death and knew that the worst thing he could do to Ishy was keep bringing him back.  But Ishy was also the DO most effective person, and had done the most over time for the DO.  Ishy was the most trust worthy of the Forsaken since IShy wasn't driven by power but the desire to simply die.  He wanted the Do to win and end it all.  All the other forsaken had the been named Naeblis would of been simply using it to their own advantage, possibly hindering the DO.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@finnssss,

"all the darkhound packs hunting and working as one,"

that's an interesting thought.i will have to reread the third book again,

unfortunately,the dragon reborn is my least favorite from the first six.

as a side note,is mat your favorite character?

It seems to be the only thing that fits and the only thing that is mentioned but is not used until most of the way into aMoL (BS was 60-70% into his first draft of aMoL when he tweeted it.)

Yes, Mat is my favourite character but it was a long time coming. It wasn't until Book 3 that I even began liking him at all and it took until Book 5 after he killed Couladin that he started pulling ahead of the others.

Perrin was originally my fav previous to this and was still a favourite up and till RJ lost touch (I'm being generous here) with him through books 7-10. It was actually the way BS wrote him that brought Perrin back into my good books.

For all the bad BS gets around here, he sure did a hell of a job with Perrin. To be honest, I think BS wrote Perrin better than RJ himself did but obviously BS's Mat was definitely not on the same level as RJ's.

True, a trade off, but Perrin needed some help, a kick so to speak to get him out of the "poor me everyone calls me a lord and I hate it but let me step forward when it is needed" routine.  I think it was done well, but drawn out a little too much where it became nerve-grating to me at points.  BS was given a project that demanded all of his time for the course of several years.  Family, his own books he launched with the help of the fanbase and his own small following, and the book signings kind of took away from the books a little, that and working with a new team trying to get everything smoothed out, the "let's not rush" became a shambles with corrections getting lost and people having to play catch-up. It smoothed out at the end and he did a good job overall.  

Bringing in a ghost writer would have matched the tone of characters but there were a lot of holes that needed filling by a fan and fellow fantasy writer.  Brandon was a nobody, young and new as an author, so he had to make up for what he lacked in experience with his technical skills at writing.  Too many people are too quick to criticize, especially people who couldn't do a tenth of what he managed to accomplish.  It is what it is, and as to the outriggers and prequels we perch on that balance point between knowing that they exist where we can imagine what is within them taking comfort in their semi-presence, and the hard fact that despite the profit they won't be written soon if at all.  So we are left with the possibility, both of what might have occurred as well as one day a ghost writer might be hired to match RJ's description of detail, tone, and literary mannerisms once the ideas are extrapolated and fleshed out from the history in RJ's notes.  This will become closer to reality if the movie ever gets off the ground.   

@finnssss,

i completely agree with you,brandon sanderson did write perrin better than robert jordan,

in the last three books perrin was a little bit more...decisive,but unfortunately,changing writers

didn't change the fact that a new and improved perrin is still perrin,and he always bored me to death.

mat is my overall third favorite character,but only until knife of dreams(you're not going to like it),in my

opinion,matrim cauthon died with robert jordan.

brandon sanderson's mat is a new character altogether(same hat,same ashandarei,same wife,same name-different character).

What about my speculation?

about the original topic; maybe the characters were mistaken about the Horn being bound to 1 sounder.  The prophecy says "let whosoever sounds me think not of glory, but only of salvation".  Maybe anyone that fits that prophecy would be able to make the Horn work.

about the original topic; maybe the characters were mistaken about the Horn being bound to 1 sounder.  The prophecy says "let whosoever sounds me think not of glory, but only of salvation".  Maybe anyone that fits that prophecy would be able to make the Horn work.

Well, A Memory of Light gives a pretty explicit answer...

@finnssss,

i completely agree with you,brandon sanderson did write perrin better than robert jordan,

in the last three books perrin was a little bit more...decisive,but unfortunately,changing writers

didn't change the fact that a new and improved perrin is still perrin,and he always bored me to death.

mat is my overall third favorite character,but only until knife of dreams(you're not going to like it),in my

opinion,matrim cauthon died with robert jordan.

brandon sanderson's mat is a new character altogether(same hat,same ashandarei,same wife,same name-different character).

I wouldn't go so far to say that he died completely. There were still Mat scenes that were obviously written by RJ so it wasn't all BS.

[Removed]

A number of the characters felt off or flat but out of those Mat's characterization was probably the worst. This is all that really needs to be said on the topic:

I didn't understand Mat. I tried so hard to make him funny, I wrote the HIM out of him.

Although it should be noted to Brandon's credit that he views the misstep as a learning experience...

I cast the wrong Mat in these books, and I simply wrote him poorly...

The interesting thing about this is, though it is the biggest mistake I made in my writing of The Gathering Storm, it also is one of the things that taught me the most.

[Removed]

Well, A Memory of Light gives a pretty explicit answer...

the scene mentioning Mat's death?  that scene does not answer that speculation.

Also, I would prefer a non-book comment from either author; since book scenes would be no more than character belief.

Let's not bring personal things into these threads. 

1. Posts should be made regarding another post, not the character of the user. As I don't think jack of shadows's comment was intentionally inflammatory, but merely a misunderstanding, I'm not going to take any action. However, PM me (Finnsss) if you wish to discuss the matter. 

2. The personal dialogue is unacceptable. No need to go through it again. 

Sammael wasn't a deliberate sacrifice, if Sammael died why should Moridn care?  His death ensured Samm would stop trying to kill Rand but Moridin wasn't going to go out of his way to aid or stop Sammael.  He was more concerned with Rand not getting himself killed.  Semirhage yes I believe was sacrificed as not only punishment for being captured, for nearly killing Rand, but also as a way to draw rand closer to the darkside by forcing him to watch someone he cared for harmed.  She might of had strict instructions on what she was suppose to do.  The main reason Ishy was brought back was as punishment.  The Do knew Ishy wanted death and knew that the worst thing he could do to Ishy was keep bringing him back.  But Ishy was also the DO most effective person, and had done the most over time for the DO.  Ishy was the most trust worthy of the Forsaken since IShy wasn't driven by power but the desire to simply die.  He wanted the Do to win and end it all.  All the other forsaken had the been named Naeblis would of been simply using it to their own advantage, possibly hindering the DO.

The main reason was a punishment? Perhaps. At least Ishy might have seen it that way, but the DO knew he wanted the Wheel to end. None of the other Chosen could he trust as Naeblis, since they wanted power. Ishy wanted oblivion.

The DO being the DO I just figure he gives few rewards but dishes out lots of punishments.  Not only did Ishy lose everytime he faced Rand and then finally died in Tear, but he was also running around pretending to be the DO.  Yes the DO knew he needed his AOL forsaken, but the DO also won't overlook his failures.  The DO needed him but I think Ishy was never going to get the final rest he wanted if the DO had won.

We will never know if the tie to the horn was true or just something people thought but was wrong like the belief that the heroes would come back and serve the DO if the wrong person sounded it.    What we do know is any tie Mat had to the horn was severed when Rhavin killed him.

Archived