DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Norway is awesome.

Reyoru

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. That's New Norwegian, Rey. We have two written languages; bokmål (directly translated: Book Speech) and nynorsk (New Norwegian). You see, our langauge is very affected by the fact that we were under danish rule for a couple hundred years. Our written language bokmål is very similar to danish. So a man called Ivar Aasen went on a quest (lol) to find back to the old norwegian written language. He combined parts of all the old Norwegian dialects, and made New Norwegian out of it. We learn it in school, and it has to be used for a certain % in all written communicatons from media sources and businesses owned by the goverment.

New Norwegian is only a written language, but there is a number of dialects that resemble it. Personally, my dialect is quite similar to bokmål (wich is also just a written language; it's very "clean" and there's very few people who speak exactly like it). Think of it was Oxford English and normal spoken english.

So in bokmål, and my dialect (wich most people on the east coast speak) it would be:

Jeg heter Rey

"Jeg" is pronounced like "Jei" (yey), while the New Norwegian "Eg" is pronounced like "egg", just with a shorter, simple g.

French is weird, but I haven't had real problems with it. Of course it's weird, with "ne (verb) pas" as "not" and such things, and always all verbs behind each other (note: all verbs except the most important one (and no, I don't know the english name for that one) are AFTER the "pas" if it's that type of sentence), but meh, the reason I had bad marks for French was just because I didn't know the vocabulary. And I hate France. That'll have been part of it too.

*looks around to see if there are any French people here*

*hides away just in case*

I wanted to learn French but my school does not offer French as third language. The only option for third language(we don't have the option not to choose) is Sanskrit and I barely got through it last year. Good thing about Sanskrit: everything is pretty much based on some rules. Bad thing: there are too many rules. There are 24 ways to use a noun, 45 ways to use a verb and rules on which word should be where, which noun to use if it does not exactly fit into those 24 kinds...pretty much headache

Hmm. That's New Norwegian, Rey. We have two written languages; bokmål (directly translated: Book Speech) and nynorsk (New Norwegian). You see, our langauge is very affected by the fact that we were under danish rule for a couple hundred years. Our written language bokmål is very similar to danish. So a man called Ivar Aasen went on a quest (lol) to find back to the old norwegian written language. He combined parts of all the old Norwegian dialects, and made New Norwegian out of it. We learn it in school, and it has to be used for a certain % in all written communicatons from media sources and businesses owned by the goverment.

New Norwegian is only a written language, but there is a number of dialects that resemble it. Personally, my dialect is quite similar to bokmål (wich is also just a written language; it's very "clean" and there's very few people who speak exactly like it). Think of it was Oxford English and normal spoken english.

So in bokmål, and my dialect (wich most people on the east coast speak) it would be:

Jeg heter Rey

"Jeg" is pronounced like "Jei" (yey), while the New Norwegian "Eg" is pronounced like "egg", just with a shorter, simple g.

I found it easier to understand bokmål. That is closer to Swedish than nynorsk.  I have friends from Lofoten and around Oslo so those dialects are easy to understand but the dialect on the south west coast are harder. 

Yeah bokmål is way closer to Swedish. I talk kinda like they do in Oslo, just a bit broader. I imagine your troubles with the south/west coast is like mine with Skåne XD I don't understand a word! And don't even get me started on Danish. It's all blablablablakartoffelblabla XD

Archived