DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Beautiful Game (everything soccer)

Nyanna al'Meara

Hey again!!

To my utmost shame, I've been so busy with work and stuff and my own football (ironically) that I have nooo cluuuue what's up in the footy world (except Bundesliga, which is ahrd to miss tales of here... XD)

Played my first real proper game last Sunday, we won 4:2, aaand our season starts on the 25th, we have a home game :)

Aaand....PINOE IS GOING BACK TO OLYMPIQUE LYONNAIS FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON!!!!! What this means? I might even get to see them (her) :laugh: play live!! :anticipation:

Was in lyon for the spurs game earlier this year. Apart from neo-nazis trying to kill us, i enjoyed it.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Tottenham were a bit lifeless offensively, and Lloris saved them repeatedly. I'm very pleased with Giroud though. If he continues like this he could have a great season. I don't mind Liverpool beating Man U though. Quite satisfying actually.

NANANANANANANAAAAAAAA

My team started off its season this morning, we won 2:0  :happy:

Looks like it was a good weekend. We had probably our final pre-season match today and won 3-1.

On paper, it is worth it. I wonder how he would fit in at Arsenal though. 

Also, YNWA! 

Although, really, Liverpool beating Utd at Anfield isn't a rare thing. We almost always beat them at Anfield even in a crappy season. However, the victory is none the less satisfying. 

My mate is on holiday and he went to see the game at Anfield. Lucky bastard. He had a 3 week window where he was able to go to a match and Liverpool Utd was conveniently there for him haha. 

:blink: Wow I think that's a record for multiposts?

It is rather ironic isn't? There's also the fact that the weaker teams have a better chance of getting first pick in the draft (at least in the NBA), hence why some teams tank at the end of the season. And there's no relegation-promotion. European leagues are actually a lot more cutthroat than American ones. No disputing that the  American league business model is a remarkably successful one though. 

:blink: Wow I think that's a record for multiposts?

It is rather ironic isn't? There's also the fact that the weaker teams have a better chance of getting first pick in the draft (at least in the NBA), hence why some teams tank at the end of the season. And there's no relegation-promotion. European leagues are actually a lot more cutthroat than American ones. No disputing that the  American league business model is a remarkably successful one though. 

Think the American model is probably more sustainable in the long term. You look at Greece where Olympiakos has won the league for the last 13 years or Porto in Portugal, it's a joke.

So there were a bunch of World Cup qualifiers these last few days. So far the teams qualified for Brazil 2014 are:

Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Italy, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, United States, and Costa Rica.

10 qualified, 22 to go:

In Asia, the fifth team that can qualify is Jordan. They will play whoever finishes 5th in qualifying from South America (keeping in mind that Brazil was automatically qualified as hosts), which will probably be either Uruguay or Ecuador. Possibly Chile.

From Oceania (keeping in mind that Australia qualifies in Asia), New Zealand has qualified for the playoff game against whoever finishes 4th in North and Central America, which will be Honduras, Panama, or Mexico.

In South America, Colombia is almost certain of qualifying, and Venezuela almost certainly eliminated, with Chile Ecuador, and Uruguay fighting for the last 3 spots, one of which will play Jordan.

In Africa, the five spots will be decided between 10 teams. Those that will be seeded are: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, and Cape Verde. They will be drawn against Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Egypt, Senegal, and Ethiopia. 

And finally in Europe, there are still 29 teams that can mathematically qualify. These are: (Blue means they're pretty much qualified, Green means they're certain, or almost certain of getting at least a playoff spot, purple means it's too close to call, and orange means they're almost certainly out​) 

Belgium and Germany who are both 99% qualified directly, Croatia who is assured of getting second place in group A, Bulgaria, Denmark, Czech Republic, and Armenia from group B who can still get second place, but are pretty unlikely to get into the playoffs, Sweden, Austria and Ireland from groups C, with Ireland almost certainly out, Romania, Hungary, and Turkey in a very tight race for second spot in group D, Switzerland, Iceland, Slovenia, Norway, and Albania from group E, with Switzerland almost certainly qualified directly, Russia, Portugal, and Israel in group F, with Israel almost certainly not qualifying and Russia and Portugal separated by only 1 point, Bosnia and Greece in group G both with the same amount of points, England, Ukraine, Montenegro, and Poland in group H in a very tight race, and finally Spain, and France in group I, even on points but with France having played 1 game more than Spain. 

So, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland, almost certainly qualified, and I'm thinking they'll be joined by Russia, Bosnia, and probably England though they really have no margin for error, with Montenegro, and especially Ukraine, breathing down their necks. Oh, and Spain. Damnit.

The 8 best second placed teams will contest playoffs, with seeds apparently determined by FIFA rankings.

Everton Chelsea 1 : 0  

Aston Villa Newcastle 1 : 2  

Fulham West Brom 1 : 1  

Hull Cardiff 1 : 1    

Stoke Manchester City 0 : 0  

Sunderland Arsenal 1 : 3    

Tottenham Norwich 2 : 0  

Manchester Utd Crystal Palace 2 : 0

Arsenal top of the league, spurs second (mixed emotions). Bindippers (liverpool) playing tomorrow so could go top.

City's new manager Pellegrini under pressure.

Bale scored for Madrid on his debut, although they drew 2-2.

So 1st Champions League matches this week:

Group A:

Man U 4-2 Bayer Leverkusen

Real Sociedad 0-2 Shakhtior Donetsk

Group B:

Galatasaray 1-6 Real Madrid

Copenhagen 1-1 Juventus

Group C:

Olympiakos 1-4 PSG

Benfica 2-0 Anderlecht

Group D:

Bayern Munic 3-0 CSKA Moscow

Viktoria Plzen 0-3 Man City

Group E:

Chelsea 1-2 Bale

Schalke 3-0 Steaua Bucarest

Group F:

Naples 2-1 Bayer Dortmund

Marseille 1-2 Arsenal

Group G:

Austria Vienne 0-1 Porto

Atletico Madrid 3-1 Zenith St Petersburg

Group H:

AC Milan 2-0 Celtic Glasgow

Barcelona 4-0 Ajax Amsterdam

So, pretty predictable results apart from Juventus and especially Chelsea. Didn't expect Real Sociedad to lose either. Ronaldo and Messi both scored hat tricks. Real Madrid payed Galatasaray pay very dearly for their missed chances.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal are top of the table 2 points clear of Tottenham and Liverpool. Bet nobody would have seen these 3 on top  after 6 games before the season started. I'm trying not to laugh at Man U's current state, especially since I actually like Moyes.

Real lost to Atletico. Messi is injured. No changes in Germany. Roma looking scaaaaaary in Italy. Monaco and PSG tied atop the table in France.

And Nantes beat Rennes 3 to 1 HAHAHAHAHAHA...... no one gets how awesome that is? Oh well.

Tomorrow is the Champions League. Arsenal vs Napoli at the Emirates!

Moyes was the wrong choice for united. Not because he's a bad manager but because he hasn't won anything. Utd have been successful for the last couple of years because of their reputation. Their team hasn't actually been that good but Ferguson gave them an aura of invincibility.

That is now gone and the fans are already calling for moyes's head. If you go on their fans forums they are talking about possibly not finishing in the top 4 (champions league spot worth £30-60m). This from the team that finished 15 points clear last season.

Oh and man city lost aswell tee hee. suarez the cannibal is back. Scored 2 and didn't eat anyone. Which was disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

Germany, Belgium, and Switzerland have qualified for the World Cup.

In group A, Belgium is qualified, Croatia second.

In group B, Italy is qualified, Bulgaria second and unlikely to make the playoffs.

In group C, Germany is qualified, Sweden second after a very important victory over Austria.

In group D, Netherlands is qualified, Turkey and Romania tied for second.

In group E, Switzerland is qualified, Iceland is second.

In group F, Russia is almost certainly qualified, Portugal probably in the playoffs.

In group G, Bosnia and Greece are tied, with Bosnia owning a much better goal difference.

In group H, England is first, Ukraine second, and it will be going down to the last day.

In group I, Spain is first after a close 2-1 victory over Belarus, and are qualified unless they lose on the last day (unlikely) and France beat Finland.

And in a friendly match France defeated Australia 6-0....which is actually kind of important because FIFA rankings will determine seeds for the playoffs, and for France to be in the top 4 they must defeat Finland and hope Germany defeat Sweden, which is why Sweden's victory over Austria was important.  

Colombia has also qualified. Ecuador and Chile will probably qualify as well, with Uruguay playing Jordan in the playoffs.

Honduras is almost certainly qualified, while Mexico, thanks to a brilliant late goal by Raul Jimenez will probably get the playoff spot against New Zealand.

Russia, Bosnia, England, Spain, Chile, Ecuador, and Honduras have qualified for the World Cup. There are still 11 places to take. 4 in Europe, 5 in Africa, 1 for North America or Oceania, and 1 for South America or Asia.

Mexico, having been miraculously saved from elimination by two stoppage time goals from the US against Panama, will play New Zealand for a spot in Brazil, and Urugay will be playing Jordan.

In Europe, Portugal, Greece, Croatia, and Ukraine will be seeded for the playoffs, and will play France, Sweden, Romania, and Iceland. The match ups will be decided Monday I believe.

Finally in Africa, these are the result after the 1st leg of the final qualifying stage:

Ivory Coast 3-1 Senegal

Ethiopia 1-2 Nigeria

Tunisia 0-0 Cameroon

Ghana 6-1 Egypt

Burkina Faso 3-2 Algeria

So apart for Ghana who are pretty much qualified, still all to play for.

Also, Bruno Metsu, who was coach of Senegal at the 2002 World Cup when they shocked France in the opening match and went on to make the Quarter Finals, and generally did tremendous work for football in Africa, has sadly passed away at the age of 59. RIP.

Archived