DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Beautiful Game (everything soccer)

Nyanna al'Meara

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for those of you who didn't pay attention to World Cup draw  :mad:, this is how it turned out:

Group A :

Brazil
Mexico
Cameroon
Croatia

Group B:

Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

Group C:

Colombia
Greece 
Ivory Coast
Japan

Group D:

Uruguay
Costa Rica
Italy 
England

Group E:

Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

Group F:

Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran 
Nigeria

Group G:

Germany
Portugal
Ghana
United States

Group H:

Belgium 
Algeria
Russia 
South Korea

So.... this is going to be fun. The toughest groups to me are groups B, D and G. Very early but if I were to predict the results I would say:

Group A: Brazil and Cameroon advance. Brazil is an easy choice obviously, but the second is quite difficult. Mexico has been very poor lately, and Croatia hasn't impressed me much, so I'm going with Cameroon.

Group B: Spain and the Netherlands advance. Australia has no chance, but Chile could challenge the two European teams. Ultimately though they just have too much talent not to pass I think. There should be some nice football in this group though.

Group C: Colombia and Ivory Coast advance. A very hard group to predict. No team stands out, but none are bad either. I'm relatively confident about Colombia, but either Greece or Japan could snatch second place.

Group D: Italy and Uruguay advance. This is a very high level group. Italy will live up their Euro 2012 performance. Costa Rica will fare no better than Australia. Tough call between England and Uruguay, but the sheer attacking talent of Uruguay (Suarez! Cavani! Forlan!), gives them the edge.

Group E: France and Switzerland advance: A laughably fortunate draw for France, but one they can still screw up, seeing as this is after all France. Still I think they should make it through, followed by a solid Switzerland team. Ecuador are too limited, and Honduras won't do any better.

Group F: Argentina and Bosnia-Herzegovina advance. Argentina shouldn't have too much trouble. Difficult to choose between Nigeria who are champions of Africa and Bosnia, but Bosnia were very impressive in qualifying. Iran don't stand much of a chance here I'm afraid.

Group G: Germany and Portugal advance. Perhaps the most frightening group, these teams are either good or great. These teams all had a shot at the next round in any other group, but Germany and Crisita... sorry I mean Portugal, are just a class above. But the slightest misstep could be fatal.

Group H: Belgium and Russia advance. I'm pretty confident Belgium will advance. They're still a little young, but there's tremendous talent in that team. I think Russia will join them and break their curse in major competitions. Algeria and South Korea probably won't make it, but this group is pretty open.

Which means the Round of 16 will look like this:

Brazil vs Netherlands

Colombia vs Uruguay

France vs Bosnia-Herzegovina

Germany vs Russia

Spain vs Cameroon

Italy vs Ivory Coast

Argentina vs Switzerland

Belgium vs Portugal

I believe the Quarterfinals will look like this:

Brazil vs Uruguay

France vs Germany

Spain vs Italy

Argentina vs Portugal

The Semifinals

Brazil vs Germany

Spain vs Argentina (Not at all sure about this one)

The Final

Brazil vs Argentina

The Champion

Brazil (shocker I know)

Lol @ Group G.  I'll probably have to pull solely for France too early again.

That being said, this draw is an opportunity for the USA.  We have a better team than we've had in previous World Cups and we're fitter than most teams.  Beating Ghana would obviously be crucial as would be getting at least a point off of Portugal.  Germany is a terrible matchup for us, but it should be a fun game to watch.  The best I'm hoping for is 5 points and I'm expecting 4.  If we get 4, then scoring on Ghana and keeping Germany outside the 18 as much as possible will be critical.

The US play Ghana first, then Portugal and finally Germany. So the US better hope like hell that Germany beats Ghana and Portugal so that they might go easy on the US. But even Germany's B team is terrifying so.... yeah. That said I agree that the US is doing well at the moment. Now they have to prove they can hang with the best at the highest level.

I think France will do well partly because:

1994: absent (thanks Bulgaria)

1998: champions

2002: out in the first round, failed to score a single goal

2006: finalists

2010: don't want to talk about it

2014: ???

You get the pattern

And the draw is also very favorable even in the round of 16, as long as France finish first of their group. Then they'll probably run in to Germany...

And Chelsea fall! The Blues lose 3-2 against Stoke City. Manchester City could do no better than a 1-1 draw against Southampton. Manchester United have quite probably given up any hopes for the title after their 1-0 loss against Newcastle. Liverpool win 4-1 against West Ham and take 2nd place. Tottenham win 2-1.

Just about all of England will be rooting for Everton against Arsenal tomorrow. If the gunners win they go 7 points clear before two very important games against Chelsea and Manchester City.

Good season this year. Wenger must be laughing his head off to the doubters (at the beginning of the season), although Everton will be difficult.

AVB has got some breathing space. What a difference a week makes, we're now 2 points off second.

The spotlight is on Moyes now at Man Utd, really has to get some results. 

long way to go still and there will be a lot more upsets.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, now settle down. It's merely the proper order of things. :baalzamon:

Also Juventus appear to be running away in Italy. Shame for Roma. It's incredible that with such an amazing start to the season they're now so far away from Juve. I mean this was their first loss!

Hi everybody!! I love football (as good spanish) and I'm a big Real Madrid's supporter. In fact, I was in Glasgow when Real won the ninth Champions League against Bayer Leverkusen (with the awesome goal of Zinedine Zidane). I really think the next World Championship will be very interesting and I can't wait for the next summer to see it :)

Archived