DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Beautiful Game (everything soccer)

Nyanna al'Meara

For me personally, I played in a recreational league for the first time a couple of years ago.  I was by far the worst player on our team, but I had a really good time and the other players could tell that I not only enjoyed it, but that I was learning as well.

Before that though, I was watching anything I could get on TV.  I don't get to watch much soccer, what with living out in the sticks and not having decent TV or web service.  But when I'm at university, I try and make an effort to catch all of the games I can.

That brings me to teams.  Tottenham Hotspur.   I love the style they play - it's so much different from the other English teams I've seen and it's simply beautiful.  For me, there's no better sight than seeing all the players out there playing football the Tottenham way.  If only we had a real striker...if AVB brought one in, I'd probably cry tears of joy.  Defoe's too streaky for my liking and Adebayor never seems to play consistently well.

Other countries, I'm not nearly as well informed about.  Spain, to me, is boring because of the two horse race, but I have tried following the French league a little bit.  That's probably the league I know the second most about, and I'm going to try to pick a team to follow with Spurs in England.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played from when i was 7 until 16, I won a couple of trophies in those years but I was too lazy to get serious - and not THAT good in any case. 

n

I player striker and AM, I was pretty good at club level - my best was 18 goals from 20 matches-  but not reigonal/state rep level. 

I stopped playing because I was lazy, and decided to focus on school - still lazy at that as well. 

So now I just follow the leagues. 

i dont really follow the english league that much, no balotelli anymore or tevez too actually 

I really don't like Balotelli.  He's talented, but he's also a bit of a loose cannon.  My dislike of him comes from one certain game where he REALLY should have been sent off about 10 minutes from the end due to a really nasty challenge he put in on one of Spurs' players, but instead, turned around and hit the game-winning penalty for City in something like the 94th minute against Spurs.  It was a wonderful game to watch for the neutral, but I was fuming for a week afterward (and still haven't forgotten that incident).

Tevez, I don't really know that much about.  I just thought it a waste that Mancini had so much talent on that bench of his in terms of strikers at City, and didn't make the full use of it when he had it.

Good, a topic about real sport. :wink:

Like NZ, here in Aus Rugby is the dominant. We only really got on to football since the 2006 World Cup where we managed to qualify for again since forever. 

My family comes from England, so I follow the english leagues mostly. Scunthorpe - my dad's birth town- is crap in First Division, so I have to support Liverpool - who are having a horrendous time in the last few years. This year - and I know it's probably said every year, but we have a heap of new signings - looks promising. 

Premier League will be interesting whatever the case, the top 3 from last year all have new managers. 

To a lesser extent I follow St. Ettienne in Ligue 1, I love Bayern in Germany and I keep an eye on Spain, although I don't have any particular team. 

Man, I felt so bad for Australia in 2006. Penalty at the last second against Italy. Worst way to get knocked out.

St Etienne is a great club, and I think they have a great coach in Galthier. Shame Aubameyang left.

lol barid, liverpool you'll never walk alone :P

and the spanish league is pretty much focused around Real Madrid and Barcelona 

Haha, that reminds of this:

If the English Premier League was a classroom.

1. MANCHESTER UNITED is a boy who just perfoms in the final exams and top the class.

2. LIVERPOOL is a child who is very proud of the academic achievements of his grandfather.

3. MANCHESTER CITY is a spoilt child who purchases all the expensive books but is never interested in reading them.

4. ARSENAL is a boy who works hard throughout the year but fails to succeed.

5. TOTTENHAM HOTSPURS is a girl who thinks getting 18pts from a possible 21 in mid year term tests translates to a pass in the final exams.

6. CHELSEA is a boy who fails and blames his teachers then his family finds a new teacher for him every year

Yeah, I have a hard time staying interested in Spain. Big RM fan, but apart from the clasicos and a few other games it's just too predictable. It's particularly bad when either Barca or RM run away with the title.

For me personally, I played in a recreational league for the first time a couple of years ago.  I was by far the worst player on our team, but I had a really good time and the other players could tell that I not only enjoyed it, but that I was learning as well.

Before that though, I was watching anything I could get on TV.  I don't get to watch much soccer, what with living out in the sticks and not having decent TV or web service.  But when I'm at university, I try and make an effort to catch all of the games I can.

That brings me to teams.  Tottenham Hotspur.   I love the style they play - it's so much different from the other English teams I've seen and it's simply beautiful.  For me, there's no better sight than seeing all the players out there playing football the Tottenham way.  If only we had a real striker...if AVB brought one in, I'd probably cry tears of joy.  Defoe's too streaky for my liking and Adebayor never seems to play consistently well.

Other countries, I'm not nearly as well informed about.  Spain, to me, is boring because of the two horse race, but I have tried following the French league a little bit.  That's probably the league I know the second most about, and I'm going to try to pick a team to follow with Spurs in England.

We'll give you Chamack. 10 million, take it or leave it. Actually never mind, you can have him for free.

The french league is going to gain importance with Paris and Monaco. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Spain. I think Lyon and Marseille can hang in there. Marseille typically manages to maximise it's potential.

i dont really follow the english league that much, no balotelli anymore or tevez too actually 

I really don't like Balotelli.  He's talented, but he's also a bit of a loose cannon.  My dislike of him comes from one certain game where he REALLY should have been sent off about 10 minutes from the end due to a really nasty challenge he put in on one of Spurs' players, but instead, turned around and hit the game-winning penalty for City in something like the 94th minute against Spurs.  It was a wonderful game to watch for the neutral, but I was fuming for a week afterward (and still haven't forgotten that incident).

Tevez, I don't really know that much about.  I just thought it a waste that Mancini had so much talent on that bench of his in terms of strikers at City, and didn't make the full use of it when he had it.

Balotelli has to be a nightmare to coach. Unbelievable talent, but god can he be annoying. 

That said I felt terrible for him after the final at Euro 2012. The guy was in tears and was trying to force his way off the field. You could tell Spain had just completely shattered his dream.

Balotelli has to be a nightmare to coach. Unbelievable talent, but god can he be annoying. 

That said I felt terrible for him after the final at Euro 2012. The guy was in tears and was trying to force his way off the field. You could tell Spain had just completely shattered his dream.

he's much better now that he's back in milan tho, i mean did you see him in the confederations cup, he controlled himself well, and he never misses a penalty :wink:

We'll give you Chamack. 10 million, take it or leave it. Actually never mind, you can have him for free.

The french league is going to gain importance with Paris and Monaco. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Spain. I think Lyon and Marseille can hang in there. Marseille typically manages to maximise it's potential.

I hope that it stays competitive.  I don't like PSG for buying their way to title contenders - same can be said for any team that splashes the cash in the hope of boosting themselves up from mediocrity.  Wasn't Monaco in the second division this past season?  I heard that they'd gotten bought by some ultra-rich guy, but heard nothing more about them since. I'm assuming they pulled a PSG and Manchester City.  Maybe one of those teams will really learn the hard way that money doesn't win you championships.  Lyon, I really hope stays relevant.  I was impressed by them when we played them in the Europa League and I was pulling for them to pull ahead of PSG, but it didn't happen.  Marseille, I don't know too much about.  I do know that Lille won the French league a couple years back, and Montpellier too, because I have a friend who went to university there when they won the title.  Here's hoping something like that will still happen.

he's much better now that he's back in milan tho, i mean did you see him in the confederations cup, he controlled himself well, and he never misses a penalty :wink:

Yeah he probably left Italy too soon. Players should really stay in their home country's league for a while before they're ready to go elsewhere.

I hope that it stays competitive.  I don't like PSG for buying their way to title contenders - same can be said for any team that splashes the cash in the hope of boosting themselves up from mediocrity.  Wasn't Monaco in the second division this past season?  I heard that they'd gotten bought by some ultra-rich guy, but heard nothing more about them since. I'm assuming they pulled a PSG and Manchester City.  Maybe one of those teams will really learn the hard way that money doesn't win you championships.  Lyon, I really hope stays relevant.  I was impressed by them when we played them in the Europa League and I was pulling for them to pull ahead of PSG, but it didn't happen.  Marseille, I don't know too much about.  I do know that Lille won the French league a couple years back, and Montpellier too, because I have a friend who went to university there when they won the title.  Here's hoping something like that will still happen.

Montpellier won last year, and Lille the year before that, and Marseille before them.

Monaco was in the second division this year. They're going back up but it wasn't easy Nantes was vying with them for 1st place most of the season. But they're spending a lot of money this summer buying big names.

I don't particularly mind teams becoming important through money to be honest. How many top teams are poor? Madrid spends tons of money for instance. So do Chelsea, and City, and it's not like United, Bayern, Barca, Milan, Inter, or Juve don't take out the checkbook when they need to. It's not like Monaco and Paris came from pits of french football either. Both have been members of Ligue 1 for a long time. PSG had a pretty good team in the 90s, and Monaco made the Champions League final back 2004. Both teams have a history so it's not like they came from nothing. 

I've always liked Lyon. They were a great team in the mid 2000s, and they're generally a very sound team I think.

Hehe, :blush: most of these teams and names I don't know zilch XD

I agree about Balotelli.... he's a skilled forward, and definitely one of the main men in his team but he always left a rather arrogant impression..  not to mix up the game with player's personalities, but it crosses over into his play and well, meh.
I love how many funny .gifs there are of him and his antics though :laugh:

Ok strap in. Football is pretty much my life...

I'm from Australia, huge fan of the Central Coast Mariners who GLORIOUSLY won the Grand Final last year. At the 4th time of asking. I've been to every single one, and to finally walk out of that stadium with the win was incredible. As was topless drinks with the Lord Mayor at the back of the bay :biggrin:

Amazing night. In my opinion the team who wins the league are champions, but the Australian perception has always been the Grand Final. Big Game mentality. The Mariners have a couple of 'minor' premierships under the belt already but to have the weight of expectation finally lifted, the chokers tag removed, is quite nice. And now we've sold half our bloody squad, but we'll see what happens next season.

I also play, and have done for the past 4 years running now. In that time I've won the grand final twice, and the premiership once, last season, remaining unbeaten all the while.

This season I'm with a new team and 9 games in we've won 7, drawn 2, ten points clear at the top of the league. Life is good :biggrin:

So I play wing or striker of a weekend, along with playing or training 3 nights a week too. I can't stop, much like others in the thread, so it's good to let it all out.

And Barid, I am also a Liverpool fan. Amazing.

2014 will be interesting in regards to Australia's campaign. I have very very little faith in the current coach, SCRAPED through the qualifiers...... Just always picking the wrong damn team, always picking the older experienced over the younger and emerging, and even the talented youngsters are benched until the 70th damn minute...

Our captain and center back Lucas Niell is WITHOUT A CLUB and 35 YEARS OLD. 

yeah.

XD whoooohooo!!!!!!

Y'all are my new bffs. *shrinks and pockets them* :laugh:

Oh, and looks like my first official footy thing (if the game on Friday doesnt happen) will be on the 28th.... tournament against 5 other teams from the region. Meeep!! :D

I don't have high hopes for out 2014 campaign. I'm glad we got to Brazil, but barely. We shouldn't be celebrating, we should be training!

Also agree with you about the damn "Grand Finals". Australia's preoccupation with grand finals is fascinating. I get the excitement of it, but actually structuring the league so that the grand final is the most important thing is...strange... to say the least. 

I don't follow much of the A-League. I love that we are getting into football, but after all my life of watching the euro leagues, the A-league is like watching football in slow motion. 

Still, I am proud that we are building up a decent league and it wont be too long before it rivals the big leagues!

Oh, and this has little to do with the actual game but.... I love Andrew Lloyd Webber and musicals and obvs football so I was STOKED to find this the other day.... he wrote one on the beautiful game :wub:

And it's a pretty epic, even motivational, song XD

:blink: Wow, that was.... Ok. Um, I might need a little bit of time to process that...

Yeah.... It was...interesting to say the least... 

On another note, I assume this...whatever it was from... was played in Toronto, because the song has nothing to do with Toronto or Canada that I can see. 

At least it has it's priorities right though. Good show. 

Hey berfs!

Guess who's going to Anfield for the game against Manchester United :biggrin:

I'm a Chelsea fan myself, but some of the guys from work got tickets for the game, so I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully I'll get a trip to Stamford Bridge this fall as well.

Hi all,

Thankfully now that Pre-season has started it won't be much longer until the Premier League starts again.  Looking forward to this year, New Manger at Man Utd and Man City, The self proclaimed "Special One" has returned.  Arsenal apparently with plenty of money to spend on transfers, Liverpool’s Influx of New players, Tottenham Looking better and better (Can they keep hold of Bale?..........Hmm)

Its going to be very strange though, as a Man Utd Fan and not seeing Sir Alex Fergusson on the touchline is going to be surreal.  He was the Manager for three quarters of my life, with only a dim recollection of the Ron Atkinson years.  But, we have a new man, so I shall await and hope that he can handle it.  I have faith that David can.

I am slightly gutted that Bayern (or should I say Pep?) got their hands on Thiago.... Looks like an outstanding talent, and good luck to him, but he is going to have to fight to get into that astonishing Bayern Midfield...  

Just briefly touching on the Champions League Final 2012-2013, Well done to Bayern (Even though I was hoping for a Dortmund Win), they really did deserve the trophy.

Anyway, Glad to see a Football thread on here

Tony

I am slightly gutted that Bayern (or should I say Pep?) got their hands on Thiago.... Looks like an outstanding talent, and good luck to him, but he is going to have to fight to get into that astonishing Bayern Midfield...  

Just briefly touching on the Champions League Final 2012-2013, Well done to Bayern (Even though I was hoping for a Dortmund Win), they really did deserve the trophy.

Nyeeehehhee :tongue:

And yeah, Dortmund really kicked a$$...ball.... XD and have made an even better game for themselves and I can't wait to see them play again. Actually - Saturday 27th July, 8.30pm (German time) they're playing Bayern in a pre-season friendly. Muahaha, I will most definitely be there (by the TV, at least) XD

In other news I discovered the awesomeness that is Megan Rapinoe and she's becoming veeeery close to tie for my favourite soccer player.... heck, she brings a guitar to practice and SINGS MISSY HIGGINS SONGS. Ajihdfhxdfhsdfsdfkk.

5-1 in the end. Just saw the result. It's Man U so nothing to be ashamed of.

Rapinoe was playing with Lyon's women's team this year before returning to the US at the end of the season to play in the NWSL. If she comes back next season, you might get to see her play in the Champions League against one of the german teams.

Archived