DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Winter Read List (repost!)

Maria

Hey guys, how's your reading going? I have started Clash of Kings and so far it looks great! I also hope to at least read one more book on the list, possibly P&P as I've been meaning to re-read that for a while now.

Anyway, for those of you who have forgotten all about this, here are the books for January/February:

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

Pride and Predjudice - Jane Austen

Oddly enough, I've never read that one. Since I have a burning desire to go spend MORE money at the bookstore next weekend, *grins* thanks for handing me another reason!

*rubs her hands together*

I love Jane Austen, I have every book that she wrote I think. It's in a big omnibus and I can't read just one, I have to read the whole lot. So by the end of the book I feel very much like I should be curtsying to everyone one and speaking like they do! :lol:

Honestly? I have no idea how I got out of it, Mia. I got out of a lot of books my Freshman year of high school by switching band classes for the 2nd semester, though. That's probably where the loophole was. I had to switch teachers and class times to make my band schedule happy, so I got to read Romeo and Juliet twice! It's not accident that I can quote the entire intro and that Leo DiCaprio version a few years ago didn't hurt, either. *grins*

So, I'm making up for it now. I read "Great Expectations" last year because I saw a movie and realized I'd never read the book (oh, how I hate that). Oddly enough, I saw the Kiera Knightly version of P&P on HBO three times over the break, so I'm very interested in the book vs. the movie adaptation. Thus, giving me a reason to read it, at last!

Oh good lord and all that is holy, don't get me started on the Keira version. Nia and I saw it with her mother when I was there last Easter, and at some point the three of us were making gagging sounds and laughing at it because it was so ridiculous. If you want to see a movie adaption of P&P you need to see the BBC mini-series. With Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. It may not be as fancy-pants as the movie in terms of costumes and stuff. But what it lacks in fanciness it certainly makes up for it by, you know, actually being good!

(Also, I'm not the biggest Keira fan, which may have something to do with it)

Urgh. The Film of P&P. Urgh.

Keria wasn't actually my major source of irritation in that film. The Darcy did my head in, as did the Sisters. And the Wickham. And many more!

And Americans, the ending when they are sat on the balcony was made just for you! We miss it here in England.(Thank God *lol*) But that doesn't mean I didn't write a little parody of it *grins*

Not quite as sexy as I should be Darcy: When shall I call you Mrs Darcy?

Keira|Lizzy: Only when you are at your most ickily happiest my Sugar Plum.

Not quite as sexy as I should be Darcy: *begins to snog random parts of Keira|Lizzy’s face* Mrs Darcy, Mrs Darcy, Mrs Darcy.

Hannah: *dies from soppiness overload*

The film was ok, the best thing about the film was the scenery and the sets. They really researched and got the feel of the period I think.

The BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle (sp?) was good, but to my mind the best version of pride and prejudice I've ever seen was a BBC adaptation starring Faye Wheldon as Lizzie. It follows the book practically word-for-word. Unfortunately it only seems to be available to buy on DVD in America and I'm not sure whether my player will run it. :(

Yes....I'm a bit of a fan! :P

Oh, I loved that movie. I just thought the way the families acted was funny. The sisters were really *cough* flirtatious (to be nice), but it was REALLY funny.

But FYI, I'm American and that ending irritated me too. Ok, maybe to end the movie, (since the seen with her father wouldn't do for closre) they should have shown the kiss at the wedding. Just a peck. That would have been better. My little sister saw the end (she's 13) and was like, and I quote:

"WTH? Why on EARTH is he doing that???"

I had to reprimand her on her language afterward, which didn't work, since I'm the older sibling, who obviously MUST not be listened to at all costs... ;)

Archived