DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rome Total War 2

Durinax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so what do you guys think on the 8 factions, although it is sounding like there will be many more but released as dlc

When will the DLC end????

I am so looking forward to this, but chances are I wont play it until the end of time. First Total War I played was the original Medieval.

so what do you guys think on the 8 factions, although it is sounding like there will be many more but released as dlc

When will the DLC end????

I am so looking forward to this, but chances are I wont play it until the end of time. First Total War I played was the original Medieval.

end of time.... thats a ways away. I plan on getting it immediately and destroying the britonnia isles

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm still waiting for Modern: Total War. It may never be. :tongue:

You know what would be even better? Wheel of Time Total War. Reading about The Band of The Red Hand inspired me to break out Empire Total war.

Now imagine fighting The Last Battle in a Total War game.

I remember someone making High Rule Total war for Medieval II ages back :biggrin:. It looked pretty cool but I was never really that into Medieval Total War, even though it was the first one I played.

Be kind of eager to see what they would do after Rome II actually. Perhaps they'll explore other interesting time periods in history?

Any guesses?

It'd be fair to say that Rome II has launched under a storm of bugs. The good news is that the most outrageous - CTDs and dodgy performance - were almost immediately fixed in the first two patches (on release day and then on Friday).

Some core problems with the gameplay remain: the map is way too big, resulting in a much slower-paced game than most previous Total War games. There's too many factions, with the end-of-turn sequence taking quite a long time as a result (though a bug meaning this took five or six minutes seems to have been fixed, with it now taking about two minutes). The UI is also a bit of a change from previous games, though once you get into it it does make sense and gives a lot of very good information. Diplomacy can be challenging at the start of the game, with it being very difficult to get trade deals (I found it better to get a non-aggression pact, making them well-disposed towards you, and then a trade deal) with severely limits funds at the start of the game.

On the plus side, both battlefield and campaign map AI is amongst the strongest in the series, though in the latter case not quite as good as Shogun II's. The new legion system I found annoying to start off with (you only have a few armies which you can reinforce, rather than tons of units you assemble into armies, splinter apart, send off by themselves etc as in the previous games) but has ended up being both fairly logical and also quite powerful, encouraging micro-management of the armies without them being so numerous for it to be annoying. The way armies and navies can support one another is also quite clever, and opens up some impressive new tactical options. Agents are extremely useful and logical as well.

Overall, I'm not convinced if it's as good as previous games in the series (Rome I, Medieval II and Shogun II in particular) but it's certainly a very good game once you get over it's teething problems.

Be kind of eager to see what they would do after Rome II actually. Perhaps they'll explore other interesting time periods in history?

It's a pretty open secret that the next game from the main team will be a Warhammer tie-in game, whilst CA's other team will likely be working on the next historical game. Apparently CA don't want to make a game with a 'III' in the title and it's too soon for a sequel to Empire, so that suggests a new era/setting. My guess would be either a game set in ancient China (though this has always been problematic due to the lack of other, contemporary civilisations for them to conquer/trade with) or some kind of American-focused game, maybe headed into the Civil War era. The only other option is forwards into WWI, which I think people had written off as being too boring but the WWI mod for Medieval II surprisingly turned out to be pretty good.

There's also a Total War Arenas MOBA, which is out next year but not really the same kind of thing.

Archived