DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ashandarei

MCauthon

just red again the 4th book and i see that in the chapter of Rhuidean there is pretty long descripton of the heart of Rhuidean and theres a descripton about spear shaped thing that is stuck in the ground neer all the ter'angreal angreal etc.

so i just wonderd does the spear has some power (i cant recall somthing butmaybe u can), is it ter'angreal of some sort i dont.... maybe its nothing but the description of the black spear stuck in the ground is pretty long, and all the items in the yeard are realted to the one force...

First off, that spear wasn't/isn't the ashandarei. Mat's weapon came from the Finns. To my knowledge that spear hasn't been specifically described, most of the angreal in Rhuidean and Tear are glossed over (I assume for time constraints).

It would get rather boring reading descriptions of hundreds of objects which will in all probability have no impact on the story.

The ashandarei came from the Finns, not from Rhuidean. All of the items in the courtyard are Ter'angreal, and we know that Mat's spear is only special as it was a power-wrought weapon. I'm sure some Aes Sedai (or Aviendha who can "read" Ter'angreal) would have noticed if it were anything more by now.

.....It's just a normal ashandarai ....

It's not quite normal. It was made by Aes Sedai during the War of Power and has one of those unbreakable-never-needs-sharpening blades on it just like Lan & Rand's swords (we'll just ignore that one he melted. ;)). Beyond that it has no powers.

There was a Mat PoV.... I think before he left Cairhien where he hurls the ashandarei across the room and into a wall hanging, which it goes straight through and hits the stone wall. He then examines it and sees that it doesn't have a scratch on it and he thinks something about still not being free of Aes Sedai work. Can't remember the exact details, but that's the jist.

How do you know if not all ashandareis are Power Welt?

I bet all weapons from not too far after AoL are power wrought.

I doubt it. I'm sure there would have still been Blacksmiths of the conventional variety even in the Age of Legends. Even if all weapons were power wrought during that age, the world was completely transformed after the core was sealed and the male Aes Sedai went mad. The remaining Aes Sedai may still have made some power wrought weapons but I think they had other things on their mind for a while. Like the breaking of the world...

I don't think it would have taken long for conventional blacksmiths to flourish in the new world.

In the AoL's there probably wasn't a great need for bladed close range weapons. They were at a high technological level with advanced fabrication methods, genetics, etc. They had engergy weapons (shock lances) that could attack at a distance.

Prior to the War of the Shadow there wasn't any real need for swords, esp. ones that are super sharp and unbreakable. Remember Be'lal asks Rand in Tear if he remembers when they took the game of swords and learned to kill with it.

I also remember explanations about when Aes Sedai began making weapons for men. I know Lan tells Rand about it at the beginning of TGH, and I seem to remember Moiraine explaining it as well and specifically saying it was during the War of Power. No books with me right now, so now quotes.

At the beginning of the War of Power, energy weapons (such as shock lances etc.) were used. But as the war progressed and went on for about a hundred years (can't remember the exact amount of years specified as in the BWB), technology started to fail, weapon factories etc. were destroyed. Close to the end of the war it was just easier and more productive to create power wrought weapons for the armies.

To get back to the original thought of the thread...

I've always believed that the ashandarei was given to Mat by the Finns to seal their deal. It's just a power -wrought weapon, nothing else special about it.

Archived