DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Verin (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes me wonder what Galad's letter was. It obviously wasn't about Rand, since Gawyn's revelation was shocking to him. (Of course, there is the chance he didn't read it at all, but that's a weak excuse.) 

I thought Galad was suitably epic. He did what needed to be done with the Ayyad, and his line " Demandred!" Galad yelled. "Demandred, you call for the Dragon Reborn! You demand to fight him! He is not here, but his brother is! Will you stand against me?" gave me chills. 

Makes me wonder what Galad's letter was. It obviously wasn't about Rand, since Gawyn's revelation was shocking to him. (Of course, there is the chance he didn't read it at all, but that's a weak excuse.) 

I thought Galad was suitably epic. He did what needed to be done with the Ayyad, and his line " Demandred!" Galad yelled. "Demandred, you call for the Dragon Reborn! You demand to fight him! He is not here, but his brother is! Will you stand against me?" gave me chills. 

i totally agree that line was awesome :)

Didn't BS mention that Verin had put in place some contingency plans in case her convoluted plan with Mat's letter didn't work out?  I didn't catch anything even hinting at that in AMOL.  Alanna as the River of Souls POV looks more likely to me now.  Otherwise she was running around and disappearing from place to place purely for the purpose of running around and disappearing from place to place.

Ya it was disappointing that the biggest cliffhangers from the last book were just ignored entirely in this book.  Verin's letters, Alanna's disappearance, Moiraine's time behind the doorway and her wishes, and Lanfear's potential wishes.

I agree with Barid though, Galad's final role was a pretty epic ending for his character despite the absurdity of him going off and dueling Demandred 1v1.

Galad's storyline was great. I love how it ended--with one of the world's best swordsmen maimed, with one of the world's most beautiful men disfigured, but with a pretty firm sense that he had the strength of character to persevere. And likely a very valuable perspective with which to lead the Whitecloaks forward. And oh that sacrifice by Annoura (esp. with the nice touch that we still don't know whether burning out can be Healed).

So what happened with Galad's letter? And Alanna?

They went the way of Roedran and Doibraine.

At least Roedran appeared in this book. Did we ever see Dobraine? Oh Dobraine, you should have been king. Maybe if you had slept with the Dragon Reborn.

Catherine the Great made her lover the King of Poland. It's too bad for Dobraine Rand wasn't bi

Ya it was disappointing that the biggest cliffhangers from the last book were just ignored entirely in this book.  Verin's letters, Alanna's disappearance, Moiraine's time behind the doorway and her wishes, and Lanfear's potential wishes.

I agree with Barid though, Galad's final role was a pretty epic ending for his character despite the absurdity of him going off and dueling Demandred 1v1.

How was Alanna ignored?  Looks like Moridin got her and intended to use her death to help him achieve victory at Shayol Ghoul.

Most of Moiraine's time behind the doorway was revealed in ToM.  

Some, if not most, of Verin's letters made it.  And why must they all be so super-consequential to the story?  Couldn't they have been personal notes?  Everything doesn't have to be key.

I think Lanfear's wishes were pretty explicit in this book.

It sounds like to me  that a lot of people are just mad that every single loop wasn't closed and all the pieces don't fit together perfectly.  But that is what makes it more real to me. 

Alanna was not entirely ignored, but her plot was a massive cliffhanger in the last book (devised by Brandon himself) and a running story arc.  Her ending was just really poorly done.  Just a "Oh hey...Alanna's hear and she's dying."  We never find out if she was a darkfriend, we dont know if she was kidnapped out of the Stone or if she left to go elsewhere first, and we dont know anything else about her.  She was setup as a key piece to the last book and instead we got her just dropped in and dying at the very last second.  It was very poorly done.

What were Lanfear's wishes if they were pretty explicit?  I must have missed this part.

Verin's letters were consequential because they were shown to be an important part of her final plot.  RJ and Brandon went out of their way to show that she sent other letters to other people.  It was a cliffhanger.  They were never mentioned again after ToM.  For all we know, her one letter to Rand may have been key to the whole body swap and Callandor.  We have no clue.

There is a lot that can be left open that feels done well, and then there are important plot points that are forgotten or wrapped up very hastily and that is just sloppy writing.  An example of an open ended world or plot that is intentionally left open is the ending with Rand and his women.  And the entire Seanchan storyline.

Alanna was not entirely ignored, but her plot was a massive cliffhanger in the last book (devised by Brandon himself) and a running story arc.  Her ending was just really poorly done.  Just a "Oh hey...Alanna's hear and she's dying."  We never find out if she was a darkfriend, we dont know if she was kidnapped out of the Stone or if she left to go elsewhere first, and we dont know anything else about her.  She was setup as a key piece to the last book and instead we got her just dropped in and dying at the very last second.  It was very poorly done.

What were Lanfear's wishes if they were pretty explicit?  I must have missed this part.

Verin's letters were consequential because they were shown to be an important part of her final plot.  RJ and Brandon went out of their way to show that she sent other letters to other people.  It was a cliffhanger.  They were never mentioned again after ToM.  For all we know, her one letter to Rand may have been key to the whole body swap and Callandor.  We have no clue.

There is a lot that can be left open that feels done well, and then there are important plot points that are forgotten or wrapped up very hastily and that is just sloppy writing.  An example of an open ended world or plot that is intentionally left open is the ending with Rand and his women.  And the entire Seanchan storyline.

I seems obvious to me that she was abducted.  I'm a little fuzzy but didn't it say that Cadsuane and the others thought Alanna left immediately but they didn't feel anything (like a gateway).  Seems pretty plausible that Moridin or one of his male channeler lackeys could have scooped her up pretty easily.  It was a cliffhanger and it did pay off for me.  She was abducted by Moridin to be used against Rand at the very end....  

re: Lanfear -- looks like she wanted to be the one to step in at the last second and save the day for the Shadow.  I think those thoughts are Perrin's but they seem be a very good guess based on what we know of her.  After Rand "revealed his soul" or whatever, there wasn't much left for her...

Just because Brandon and RJ show that Verin sent out a lot of letters, doesn't mean they all had to be key plot points.  Maybe they were, but I don't see how Brandon (and RJ) could have shown us everything, even if they wished to.

There are things I want to know also, but there is no good way to resolve every single plot point. 

I seems obvious to me that she was abducted.  I'm a little fuzzy but didn't it say that Cadsuane and the others thought Alanna left immediately but they didn't feel anything (like a gateway).  Seems pretty plausible that Moridin or one of his male channeler lackeys could have scooped her up pretty easily.  It was a cliffhanger and it did pay off for me.  She was abducted by Moridin to be used against Rand at the very end....  

re: Lanfear -- looks like she wanted to be the one to step in at the last second and save the day for the Shadow.  I think those thoughts are Perrin's but they seem be a very good guess based on what we know of her.  After Rand "revealed his soul" or whatever, there wasn't much left for her...

Just because Brandon and RJ show that Verin sent out a lot of letters, doesn't mean they all had to be key plot points.  Maybe they were, but I don't see how Brandon (and RJ) could have shown us everything, even if they wished to.

There are things I want to know also, but there is no good way to resolve every single plot point. 

I'm still inclined to think that Alanna was a Darkfriend who got in way over her head.  Her interest in the boys from tDR forward was just too out of place, and her other actions just don't make a whole lot of sense otherwise. 

Lanfear wanted out from under Moridin's thumb.  She must have had some inkling of what Moridin expected to happen at Shayol Ghul, and used that information to her advantage.  Once Rand and Moridin were distracted, she could move in for the kill.

The last we saw of Alanna, she was gone from her room in the Stone with strong hints of her having had just opened Verin's letter.  That is a major cliffhanger.  She did not just get randomly abducted; she had just opened Verin's mysterious letter and THEN vanished.

Not resolving the issue of Verin's letters is a massive fail in the final book.  If the letters were not important at all (strongly implied that this was not the case) then a simple sentence from a PoV or two could have solved this.  Instead, the more likely conclusion is that Brandon flat out forgot about them.

Archived