DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Mik's Warp] - Demandred is completely useless and unnecessary

Mik

Let me try to draw Barid Bel Medar out of his tent with this post. (*wink* Barid..this one's for you) :wink:

I'll try to make a case for the possibility of Demandred not just being overrated, but completely useless and unnecessary during the Last Battle.

1. Thematic justice & the 'Chosen' pattern

2. Myrddraal abilities

3. Shai'tans Modus Operandi

Thematic justice & the 'Chosen' pattern

RJ is making it more obvious in each book; the Dark One views the ‘Chosen’ very much like how the ‘Chosen’ themselves view the rest of humanity. To the Dark One, they are worth less then dogs, mere insects that –with the Great Lord’s own freedom growing- get reeled in more and more, to the point where they are totally controlled. I think you can safely say that the amount of freedom the Chosen were given and experienced is inversely proportional to the Great Lords own freedom.

Even before this became clear, in the earlier books the Chosen were being manipulated into actions and places without them fully realising it (as Semirhage correctly thought about when she had her chat with Shaidar Haran). Shai’tan made his hollow promises about eternal life, ruling the world, about being made Nae’blis and Ishamael pushed their personal buttons some more to make sure they sowed Chaos in places and in ways that was most beneficial to the Shadow.

It’s a recurring pattern RJ uses of setting Chosen up for their own fall and –if the Great Lords get’s half the chance- cruel punishment afterwards, that becomes clear –at the very least- for all the Chosen (Ishamael/ Moridin exempt ofcourse) that played a big part in the story up untill now. The Great Lord is a cruel and absolute Master; the “uber control freak”, RJ once called Him (blessed-be-his-name! Eh, Mr Ares).

I wonder how much Ishamael knew and learned from those Dark Prophesies (a hefty tome that was!) he kept all to himself up untill he needed one of it’s many prophesies to trick clever Graendal into action. Especially when you consider what we see Ba’alzamon do as early as the prologue of TGH at the Darkfriend gathering where he imprinted memories of events to come and actions to take based on it. Ishamael painted all the Chosen as fools and used them as tools…as nothing more then pieces on the board in the greater game. The Chosen’s value relied only on the fact that they could be used as pieces/ tools in the greater game and thereby having the Fisher progress (deteriorate is a better term actually) in ways most beneficial to Shai’tan.

We know Demandred has been promised the hollow promise of becoming Nae’blis ofcourse…and yes, he can have some sort of revenge on the Dragon Reborn…and yes, he’ll command the legions of the Great Lord of the Dark! Or won’t he?

Well, it’s a given Demandred won’t be Nae’blis…and we all know Demandred won’t be the one who will get to kill the Dragon Reborn if Shai’tan has a say in it… so why would we think Demandred will lead the armies of the Great Lord, given the pattern of how the ‘Towers of Midnight’ fall one by one and how cruel the jokes are that the Great Lord plays on them are?

Given this recurring theme of betrayal & punishment, it’s very unlikely Demandred will actually get to command the legions he’s been putting most, if not all his effort in. It’s RJ’s cruel justice for Forsaken in general. A cruel punishment for Demandred would be a very early failure and no command at all….or he’ll be second in command, because that would really be RJ’s dark justice!

So, if not Demandred, who then get’s the command of the legions of the Dark One on the Last Day…

Why, the uber control freak itself ofcourse! Through the creature that is the Nae’Blis, a vile combination of ‘the Hand of the Dark’ and ‘Death’ itself. How? ….read on…

Myrddraal abilities

I’m going to keep this short and simple;

Myrddraal can link with Trollocs to command them.

Myrddraal have powers that stem directly from the Great Lord of the Dark.

We have seen Myrddraal act and behave as one, as if commanded by something else (see quotes):

The [three] Myrddraal’s black swords rose as one; Trollocs boiled down the slope, thick, triumphant cries rising, catchpoles bobbing above as they ran.

…/ /…

Yet as if the ground were not rearing all around them, the Myrddraal moved forward in a line, their dead-black horses never missing a step, every hoof in unison. Trollocs rolled on the ground all about the black steeds, howling and grabbing at the hillside that heaved them up, but the Myrddraal came slowly on.

(TEotW, Chapter 18 - The Caemlyn Road)

In the above quote we see three Myrddraal act as if controlled by something else that commands them as if they are one being…something that perhaps invaded their minds as they themselves can do with Trollocs?

When they looked through the cracks again, to see exactly what they had to deal with, there were three Myrddraal in the room.

…/ /…The Fade picked up a ring from the table. Egwene saw now that it was a much heavier circle of gold than the Great Serpent rings.

…/ /… “Three Aes Sedai,” the Halfman hissed, its amusement sounding like dead things powdering to dust, “and one carried this.” The ring made a heavy thud as the Myrddraal tossed it back on the table. [A Myrddraal recognizing the ring of Malkiers King!?]

“They are the ones I seek,” another of them rasped. “You will be well rewarded, human.” [We seek?]

…/ /…She [Egwene] thinned one flow of Earth to finer than a hair, hoping the Halfmen could not sense so small a channeling, and wove it into the iron chain, into the tiniest bits of it.

One of the Myrddraal lifted its head. Another leaned across the table toward Adden. “I itch, human. Are you sure they sleep?” Adden swallowed hard and nodded his head. The third Myrddraal turned to stare at the door to the room where Egwene and the others crouched. [The three Myrddraal respond like one being. If the senses of three separate beings would register something -say, the sound of a glass shattering-, wouldn’t all three turn to look at what caused it?] [We itch?]

(TDR, Chapter 39 - Threads in the Pattern)

It’s odd how –again- three Myrddraal act like one being would? And why would a Myrddraal seem to recognise Lan’s ring? It’s also surprising how when one speaks, it doesn’t speak of them being a group, but of speaking as if being one.

It’s as if someone or something is linked to these Myrddraal and acts through them like how I envision a mind-trapped person to behave.

Myrddraal, the unexpected ‘neverborn’ offspring of the Trollocs that look ‘as if cast from the same mould over and over’.

Myrddraal –where the name for one or a thousand is still the same- remind me of how the demon Legion introduces himself;

"And he asked him, What is thy name?

And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many"

(Mark 5:9:)

Myrddraal, the children (never)born of the Shadow.

Shai'tans Modus Operandi

As said earlier, Shai’tan. does. not. share; He is the “uber-control-freak” (per RJ’s own words in the q&a).

The Creator and the Pattern are about making the right choices. Shai’tan –being the dark counterpart- is all about total control, the absence of choice.

That’s why I think that when the last Seal is broken, Shai’tan will take as much control of everyone and everything He possibly can, because that is His nature. (I know how wrong the term ‘nature’ is in relation to Shai’tan, but yeah…)

By and through Moridin / Shaidar Haran, He will control the minds of the Myddraal as was hinted of back in tEotW & TDR and through the Myrddraal He will command the Trollocs.

Exit Demandred to the left of the stage please!

Enterrrrr, Shai’tan!

Galad rode at a slow walk, right at the center of a long line stretching out left and right into the gloomy horizon. As he drew the sword inches from it’s scabbard he looked left and right, at the strong, determined faces of the Children of the Light.

He raised his voice; calm, commanding and steady. “The legion will advance at a trot!”

Across the field, the black line of these parodies of life moved as one towards them. The pace of their black horses picked up as well, every step in unison, almost mocking the well organized collective that was the foundation of the Children of the Light.

Galad let out a long sigh and stared one last long moment at the dark, roiling clouds above, hoping that the sun would shine on them. He had known up front it would be in vain. He firmed his grip on his reigns and the hilt of his sword; he would not lose hope!

Not here, not now, not on this day!

He pulled the sword free from it’s scabbard as he dug in his heels and raised it high, shouting “For the Light, The Legion of the Children will charge!” His horse leaped forward from the line, and he heard the roar –one mighty roar- from the throats of thousands of his brave men “For the Light!” as the Legion drew sword and followed in his wake. Their white, spotless cloaks proudly streaming in the wind as if in defiance of the darkness around them.

Across the field the Legion of the Shadow’s children, a legion of thousands upon thousands of Myrddraal drew swords as one and went from slow pace to a full charge with impossible speed, their black cloaks hanging unnaturally still....

What say you, Barid Bel Medar! *raises sword*

En garde! ;)

Shai'tans Modus Operandi

As said earlier, Shai’tan. does. not. share; He is the “uber-control-freak” (per RJ’s own words in the q&a).

The Creator and the Pattern are about making the right choices. Shai’tan –being the dark counterpart- is all about total control, the absence of choice.

I'd like to focus in on this part, as I found it the most interesting (for a side topic anyways).

Side Note: I'd like to point out that the pattern itself is neutral, encompassing good and evil and just weaving on... although I can't remember which book it specifically describes that in, I do remember that Perrin feels discomforted to find out that the pattern itself is not good, but throws the cheap metal in with the good, so to speak.

Back to What I Was Going to Say: What you said here made me think about the idea of fate and free will within the series. Obviously, this series focuses on the roles of fate and free will, how they sometimes work together, and so on. I like how you said though, that the Creator is about making choices (free will), whereas the Dark One is about the absence of choice (fate). Indeed we almost never see the creator take a direct hand in anything, whereas the Dark One, like a creepy drunk in a bar, enjoys touching the world a little too much. Likely, that is where the statement "the Dark One's own luck" comes from, as the Creator refuses to take part in the world, whereas the Dark One moves events to his liking.

Yet we have good (and bad) prophecies, inspirations of and about fate. So if the Dark One is the embodiment of fate, then Rand would never be reborn without the Dark One. Indeed, because the Dark One is the Lord of the Grave, it seems that he would be in charge of rebirthing dead souls. I think what I'm starting to get at is that the Wheel of Time must have both the Creator and the Dark One to go on in a circular sense. Thus, where the Creator made everything, he made the Dark One to be the driving force of the Wheel, of the rebirth of souls and ages. Ishamael basically says that if the Dark One wins, time will cease. On the other hand (and as many theorists have pointed out), if Rand kills the Dark One, the wheel will break and time will become linear. If such occurs, souls will no longer be reborn, ages shall never return, and fate will be no more. Essentially, if Rand kills the Dark One, free will destroys fate.

I don't know that I needed to write anything down here, but I really enjoyed your quote and the ideas behind it, I think I need to write it down somewhere. Hopefully you'll get more fulfilling replies from other people.

Heh, a nice one Mik.

I would like to say first off that I like Demandred more for his past than any cool events that may or may not be in his future, so even if the above is true, it doesn't diminish his excellence.

However, since you went to the effort for me, I will raise my blade and prepare my riposte. :tongue:

The First:

Demandred cares little for the power and immortality, although he certainly wouldn't be adverse to it.

His reasons for turning in the first place were simple. In a way, he is much like Elan. He made the cold calculation that, with Lews Therin in control, the DO would win. So he turned to the Shadow, which allowed him to pursue his vengeance against Lews Therin. His assumption was not incorrect. The Shadow did basically defeat Lews Therin. The Sealing was a desperate, last minute play to stop total destruction.

You say that Demandred is used by Shai'tan. True, but also Demandred uses Him. He is not loyal to the DO's cause - he uses the Shadow's resources to avenge himself. Of course, he doesn't dare open betrayal - yet- and works for the Shadow in the meantime -nobody directly disobeys the DO and lives long afterwards. He knows the DO is only using him, but as long as he gets what he wants out of it, he is cool with that.

Demandred will betray the Shadow to kill Lews Therin. The DO knows this. He lies to Demandred, giving him promises. Why? Because the Shadow doesn't want to lose his powers until the time comes.

When their alliance is no longer fruitful, the DO and Demandred shall betray one another.

We shall have to see how that progresses though. I have some theories in this regard, but can't say much without certain spoilers.

Moving on to the Shadow's need of his military prowess.

The Shadow needs his abilities as a strategist. For the DO, the physical war is nothing. He has no need of armies, He will break the Pattern eventually. Armies just help keep everyone occupied while he tries to break through the back door, and then game over.

Shaidar Haran, as the DO's own manifestation, with all his powers, has no need for tactics, why not leave it to a human? Even if SH and Moridin are one and the same, Elan never held a field of command. Moridin shall be occupied with what he considers more important tasks, not the menial physical war. He must face the Champion on the Last Day. Demandred is the only General left.

The DO uses its tools. Demandred's tactical and strategic prowess exceeds that of the rest of the Shadow's servants. The DO shall allow Demandred to plan the war, then take his chance to kill Rand away.

However....

Demandred doesn't intend to lead them personally, he thinks that a General should never have to fight like his soldiers. Elan Haran would be doing him a great favour by commanding the Shadowspawn on the ground. The Nae'blis a menial ground troop under Demandred's strategy for the war! Very considerate of him!

(As an aside, I love the idea of the Legion of Shadar. That would be a kickass scene with thousands of Myrddraal headed by the Haranator himself raising blades in unison for a charge.)

Shai'tans Modus Operandi

That’s why I think that when the last Seal is broken, Shai’tan will take as much control of everyone and everything He possibly can, because that is His nature. (I know how wrong the term ‘nature’ is in relation to Shai’tan, but yeah…)

Interesting to see this reflected a little with Rand - Rand is at his darkest when he believes he has no choice in fighting the LB and dying, as he realises that he can still choose to do it then he becomes Rand Sedai. Good catch :)

Elan never held a field of command.

I'm not sure that's true:

You defeated me at the Gates of Paaran Disen.

I've always wondered if he meant a duel by that, or a battle. I mean it's awfully precise to be a battle. How big can the gates of Paaran Disen be? If it was a battle I imagine Ishamael would have simply said "You defeated me at Paaran Disen".

It's not as limiting as you make it sound, I don't think. It doesn't mean "we were both standing beneath the gate when you defeated me", but would rather sit quite well with a failed attack on the city by Ishamael, which LTT routed. At least, that's my understanding of the phrase; if a native Anglophone could provide his perspective, I'd appreciate it.

I take it to mean a personal confrontation. I feel like if it was a full scale battle he'd have said "You defeated my armies" instead of the much more personal "me". Could be totally wrong though. Could be a good question to ask Brandon and it isn't exactly spoiler material, so I don't see why he would have a problem answering if there's something about it in the notes.

To recap, LTT "humbled [Elan Morin] in the Hall of the Servants" (that was most definitely just the two of them, although I'm sure there were spectators). Probably when Elan declared his new allegiances. Then (however long after) he "defeated [him] at the gates of Paaran Disen".

Kovan, why would it then be "you" and not "your armies defeated mine"? I think it's customary to attribute any action of the army to its leaders, as in "Montgomery defeated Rommel at Alam el Halfa". I was more looking for input regarding the grammatical structure, that is, whether "at the gates of" could refer to a battle waged in front of them, or even in the metaphorical sense of a battle fought to gain access to the city.

Ahh, sorry for the confusion. Rand did indeed defeat Elan at the Gates of Paaran Disen.

From the BWB it says the Elan never held a direct field of command.

BWB: Chapter 5 DO and male Forsaken: Ishamael

...he [ishamae] was assuredly the DO's top captain-General despite the fact that he never held a direct field of command.

I'll be reasonable and say this doesn't necessarily mean he was not a strategist, but I think this is referencing Ishamael's place as Nae'Blis (or similar position, if not Nae"blis in the war of power) Just as he is today, the DO's top dog, however, this is unrelated to the actual military side of things, more like the top dog who led the other Chosen. (like he does now)

Elan never held a field of command.

I'm not sure that's true:

You defeated me at the Gates of Paaran Disen.

I've always wondered if he meant a duel by that, or a battle. I mean it's awfully precise to be a battle. How big can the gates of Paaran Disen be? If it was a battle I imagine Ishamael would have simply said "You defeated me at Paaran Disen".

"The Gate of Paaran Disen" could be a geographical location like a pass or a strait, rather than a manmade gate.

"Pillars of Hercules" = Gibraltar ; "Gate of Hot Springs" = Thermopylae,

Or it may even be a bridge = Golden Gate.

In which case the expression makes sense.

I really don't think it's as complex as that, so I decided to consult my trusted friend, the interweb :smile:

Meaning, just Google "at the gates of"; it's commonly used to mean "in front of", or "as one side tried to take the city". Like with the Germans at Stalingrad or the Ottomans at Vienna.

Let me try to draw Barid Bel Medar out of his tent with this post. (*wink* Barid..this one's for you) :wink:

I'll try to make a case for the possibility of Demandred not just being overrated, but completely useless and unnecessary during the Last Battle.

1. Thematic justice & the 'Chosen' pattern

2. Myrddraal abilities

3. Shai'tans Modus Operandi

Thematic justice & the 'Chosen' pattern

RJ is making it more obvious in each book; the Dark One views the ‘Chosen’ very much like how the ‘Chosen’ themselves view the rest of humanity. To the Dark One, they are worth less then dogs, mere insects that –with the Great Lord’s own freedom growing- get reeled in more and more, to the point where they are totally controlled. I think you can safely say that the amount of freedom the Chosen were given and experienced is inversely proportional to the Great Lords own freedom.

Even before this became clear, in the earlier books the Chosen were being manipulated into actions and places without them fully realising it (as Semirhage correctly thought about when she had her chat with Shaidar Haran). Shai’tan made his hollow promises about eternal life, ruling the world, about being made Nae’blis and Ishamael pushed their personal buttons some more to make sure they sowed Chaos in places and in ways that was most beneficial to the Shadow.

It’s a recurring pattern RJ uses of setting Chosen up for their own fall and –if the Great Lords get’s half the chance- cruel punishment afterwards, that becomes clear –at the very least- for all the Chosen (Ishamael/ Moridin exempt ofcourse) that played a big part in the story up untill now. The Great Lord is a cruel and absolute Master; the “uber control freak”, RJ once called Him (blessed-be-his-name! Eh, Mr Ares).

I wonder how much Ishamael knew and learned from those Dark Prophesies (a hefty tome that was!) he kept all to himself up untill he needed one of it’s many prophesies to trick clever Graendal into action. Especially when you consider what we see Ba’alzamon do as early as the prologue of TGH at the Darkfriend gathering where he imprinted memories of events to come and actions to take based on it. Ishamael painted all the Chosen as fools and used them as tools…as nothing more then pieces on the board in the greater game. The Chosen’s value relied only on the fact that they could be used as pieces/ tools in the greater game and thereby having the Fisher progress (deteriorate is a better term actually) in ways most beneficial to Shai’tan.

We know Demandred has been promised the hollow promise of becoming Nae’blis ofcourse…and yes, he can have some sort of revenge on the Dragon Reborn…and yes, he’ll command the legions of the Great Lord of the Dark! Or won’t he?

Well, it’s a given Demandred won’t be Nae’blis…and we all know Demandred won’t be the one who will get to kill the Dragon Reborn if Shai’tan has a say in it… so why would we think Demandred will lead the armies of the Great Lord, given the pattern of how the ‘Towers of Midnight’ fall one by one and how cruel the jokes are that the Great Lord plays on them are?

Given this recurring theme of betrayal & punishment, it’s very unlikely Demandred will actually get to command the legions he’s been putting most, if not all his effort in. It’s RJ’s cruel justice for Forsaken in general. A cruel punishment for Demandred would be a very early failure and no command at all….or he’ll be second in command, because that would really be RJ’s dark justice!

So, if not Demandred, who then get’s the command of the legions of the Dark One on the Last Day…

Why, the uber control freak itself ofcourse! Through the creature that is the Nae’Blis, a vile combination of ‘the Hand of the Dark’ and ‘Death’ itself. How? ….read on…

Myrddraal abilities

I’m going to keep this short and simple;

Myrddraal can link with Trollocs to command them.

Myrddraal have powers that stem directly from the Great Lord of the Dark.

We have seen Myrddraal act and behave as one, as if commanded by something else (see quotes):

The [three] Myrddraal’s black swords rose as one; Trollocs boiled down the slope, thick, triumphant cries rising, catchpoles bobbing above as they ran.

…/ /…

Yet as if the ground were not rearing all around them, the Myrddraal moved forward in a line, their dead-black horses never missing a step, every hoof in unison. Trollocs rolled on the ground all about the black steeds, howling and grabbing at the hillside that heaved them up, but the Myrddraal came slowly on.

(TEotW, Chapter 18 - The Caemlyn Road)

In the above quote we see three Myrddraal act as if controlled by something else that commands them as if they are one being…something that perhaps invaded their minds as they themselves can do with Trollocs?

When they looked through the cracks again, to see exactly what they had to deal with, there were three Myrddraal in the room.

…/ /…The Fade picked up a ring from the table. Egwene saw now that it was a much heavier circle of gold than the Great Serpent rings.

…/ /… “Three Aes Sedai,” the Halfman hissed, its amusement sounding like dead things powdering to dust, “and one carried this.” The ring made a heavy thud as the Myrddraal tossed it back on the table. [A Myrddraal recognizing the ring of Malkiers King!?]

“They are the ones I seek,” another of them rasped. “You will be well rewarded, human.” [We seek?]

…/ /…She [Egwene] thinned one flow of Earth to finer than a hair, hoping the Halfmen could not sense so small a channeling, and wove it into the iron chain, into the tiniest bits of it.

One of the Myrddraal lifted its head. Another leaned across the table toward Adden. “I itch, human. Are you sure they sleep?” Adden swallowed hard and nodded his head. The third Myrddraal turned to stare at the door to the room where Egwene and the others crouched. [The three Myrddraal respond like one being. If the senses of three separate beings would register something -say, the sound of a glass shattering-, wouldn’t all three turn to look at what caused it?] [We itch?]

(TDR, Chapter 39 - Threads in the Pattern)

It’s odd how –again- three Myrddraal act like one being would? And why would a Myrddraal seem to recognise Lan’s ring? It’s also surprising how when one speaks, it doesn’t speak of them being a group, but of speaking as if being one.

It’s as if someone or something is linked to these Myrddraal and acts through them like how I envision a mind-trapped person to behave.

Myrddraal, the unexpected ‘neverborn’ offspring of the Trollocs that look ‘as if cast from the same mould over and over’.

Myrddraal –where the name for one or a thousand is still the same- remind me of how the demon Legion introduces himself;

"And he asked him, What is thy name?

And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many"

(Mark 5:9:)

Myrddraal, the children (never)born of the Shadow.

Shai'tans Modus Operandi

By and through Moridin / Shaidar Haran, He will control the minds of the Myddraal as was hinted of back in tEotW & TDR and through the Myrddraal He will command the Trollocs.

Exit Demandred to the left of the stage please!

Enterrrrr, Shai’tan!

Galad rode at a slow walk, right at the center of a long line stretching out left and right into the gloomy horizon. As he drew the sword inches from it’s scabbard he looked left and right, at the strong, determined faces of the Children of the Light.

He raised his voice; calm, commanding and steady. “The legion will advance at a trot!”

Across the field, the black line of these parodies of life moved as one towards them. The pace of their black horses picked up as well, every step in unison, almost mocking the well organized collective that was the foundation of the Children of the Light.

Galad let out a long sigh and stared one last long moment at the dark, roiling clouds above, hoping that the sun would shine on them. He had known up front it would be in vain. He firmed his grip on his reigns and the hilt of his sword; he would not lose hope!

Not here, not now, not on this day!

He pulled the sword free from it’s scabbard as he dug in his heels and raised it high, shouting “For the Light, The Legion of the Children will charge!” His horse leaped forward from the line, and he heard the roar –one mighty roar- from the throats of thousands of his brave men “For the Light!” as the Legion drew sword and followed in his wake. Their white, spotless cloaks proudly streaming in the wind as if in defiance of the darkness around them.

Across the field the Legion of the Shadow’s children, a legion of thousands upon thousands of Myrddraal drew swords as one and went from slow pace to a full charge with impossible speed, their black cloaks hanging unnaturally still....

What say you, Barid Bel Medar! *raises sword*

En garde! ;)

I think you forgot to mention what drove the fades and the Trollocs into Shadar Logoth as well. That was a curious wondering of some of the POV's while Rand and Co. were within its walls.

Archived