DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Spoilers! Chapter One - Eastwards the Winds Blew is up on Tor

Luckers

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, little Elayne quibble -

She set up a schedule of check-ins every two hours. Good idea. But she only left a single team that could make gateways, and apparently the whole team was needed to make one.

When did she expect them to sleep?

Is there any reason why check-ins by travelling couldn't be initiated from the FoM side at least at night? It doesn't seem that egregious.

Overall I liked it, as it made both Egwene and Rand seem more reasonable about their positions. I think I have Light-Side distrust fatigue syndrome.

I am a bit underwhelmed by Rand's learning that he is going to be a father... but as I reflect, considering how poorly the good guys communicated for the entire series, if one expects gravitas from every moment there wont be time for the Last Battle.

Ooh, that's a great idea for a retcon. And if it was planned that way all along, it might account for a bit of her erratic behavior.

I did detect a whiff of retcon about some of these things. I'm not quite as appalled as Luckers, but there is a sort of jarring break in character perspective.

I did like that Egwene had some real research done, and since that happened off-stage, it could account for her new, more reasonable position. She is still very dismissive of "Rand's crackbrained schemes," which seems odd - when has Rand been known for "crackbrained schemes?" Even in the midst of her confrontation with him that set up this meeting, she " remembered the youth that he had been. The earnest young man. Not solemn like Perrin, but not wild like Mat. Solid, straightforward. The type of man you could trust with anything. Even the fate of the world." And later, he was sad, angry, dangerous, unpredictable - but never devising "crackbrained" schemes. His schemes have actually worked out quite well, for the most part (see: going to Rhuidean, capture of Cairhien, capture of Caemlyn, death of Rahvin, death of Sammael, cleansing of saidin). Egwene should be aware of at least some of that.

So she seems a little more reasonable, but not quite Egwene.

She set up a schedule of check-ins every two hours. Good idea. But she only left a single team that could make gateways, and apparently the whole team was needed to make one.

Is there any reason why check-ins by travelling couldn't be initiated from the FoM side at least at night? It doesn't seem that egregious.

There is no reason that couldn't have been done. In fact, that would have made great sense. But apparently it wasn't done - Elayne was waiting on Jesamyn to make contact.

While I admit I have some issues with the chapter, Egwene's issues with Rand still seem random and off, and I don't particuarly approve of Nightcrawler being in the Wheel of Time....

But really, Mark, Luckers. I want to thank you for that wonderful critique, it was so eloquently put together, with lots of detail and specifics on why you reached the conclusions you did and with valid backing for them.

While I admit I have some issues with the chapter, Egwene's issues with Rand still seem random and off, and I don't particuarly approve of Nightcrawler being in the Wheel of Time....

But really, Mark, Luckers. I want to thank you for that wonderful critique, it was so eloquently put together, with lots of detail and specifics on why you reached the conclusions you did and with valid backing for them.

I'll give critiques after the book is released. Or maybe in a critique thread later if I get worked up enough to not ignore this.

Honestly, it doesn't need critiqued though. It's getting so bad IMO that it is beneath honest critique.

What if the answer wasn’t to seal the Dark One away again? What if the answer, the final answer, was something else? Something more permanent.

Yes, Rand thought to himself for the hundredth time. But is it possible?

Anyone else read this as Rand talking to Lew Therin, but it's different because they're one now? The conversation would have been Lews Therin with one thought, and Rand with the other, talking to him. Or vice versa. Either way, it made me giggle with glee.

There is no reason that couldn't have been done. In fact, that would have made great sense. But apparently it wasn't done - Elayne was waiting on Jesamyn to make contact.

How about this: the Caemlyn side does check-ins during waking hours (more efficient, reports would already be prepared), but when they rest overnight, the FoM handles the missives. Its obviously night but but not dramatically late during the Chapter One scene, and the delay is only six hours. Doesnt change the chapter one bit, but makes everyone look a little more competent. Its a small thing, anyway.

Do you really believe that is my critique? That is coming, do not be concerned. In this thread I express no more than disgust.

No, do not be concerned. When I critique this, it will be quite thorough.

Nightcrawler thing will bug me a while.

Mark, I will point out that that's your opinion, not fact. That said, your post about waiting until the full book was out came as I wrote my last comment, and I fully respect that choice. No harm, no foul. :)

Luckers, so you said on the TOR thread, and so I will wait and be interested to see what you have to say. That said, you did still start off by stating it's horrible with no supporting point or evidence, you can't honestly expect not to get some form of poor reaction to that. It's the type of things I see from teenagers and hatedom's, not from intelligent people expressing their opinion.

Honestly, I think that's where most of the issue rises on this little war of ours (Not you and me, just the general issue of BS's efforts on the series). So much of it comes off not as just calm critique and opinion but as actual bile and active hatred. I don't really think you hate by any means, but it definately reads that way much of the time.

I agree that Demandred betraying the Shadow gained more traction. In the entire series, I don't think we've seen even a single person betray the Shadow of their own will.

Asmodean was cut off from the DO and had no choice.

Verin had never really joined the Shadow

Fain ... I'm not sure what he is, but he certainly hasn't returned to the light.

He's also the only real general that the Shadow has, which puts him in an excellent position to betray the Shadow. Sammael, Demandred and Bel'al were the only generals among the Forsaken. None of the female Forsaken seem to have any martial competance and Ishamael doesn't seem to know more than pushing ravenous hordes before him. Taim appears to have nothing but disdain for soldiering.

Demandred being in charge of the Trolloc invasion of Camelyn is interesting. He may have been scouting as early as Lord of Chaos, where he spies Elayne in the throne room. He concluded (incorrectly) that Elayne might be separable from the Dragon reborn and that therefore his first non-Blight attack should fall there. He almost certainly has a distraction prepared for the Seanchan as well.

In other news...

We now have a confirmation that the DO will not be sealed and the solution is something else entirely.

Assuming the Demandred section was not just random filler (which is entirely likely), a path has been set to see him return to the Light. Doubtful IMO, but the trail now exists.

Rand's instant denial of Mierin seems to scream that indeed she does need help and it was truthful. If the scene was written as a trap then it was a waste of space given that it clearly didn't work and I dont see the point in writing a scene like that and then going "too bad! Rand is too smart to fall for that!"

Apparently Rand doesn't give a that he's a dad. Interesting.

How about this: the Caemlyn side does check-ins during waking hours (more efficient, reports would already be prepared), but when they rest overnight, the FoM handles the missives. Its obviously night but but not dramatically late during the Chapter One scene, and the delay is only six hours. Doesnt change the chapter one bit, but makes everyone look a little more competent. Its a small thing, anyway.

The delay is only six hours? When the prescribed time is two hours?

Sorry, that's absurdly unacceptable.

Brandon tries to set it up with this from Elayne:

“Jesamyn forgot to check in again from Caemlyn. I left the woman strict orders to send to me every two hours, and yet she dallies. Light, it’s probably nothing."

That makes it seem like checking in late was a habit that Jesamyn had established, and that is why Elayne wasn't initially concerned about a six hour delay. But seriously, how long have they been at the Field of Merrilor? Not much time to establish a habit of checking in late. And if Elayne is concerned about an attack (which the two-hour check-ins would seem to indicate) why is she so unconcerned when the report is late? If you're not going to pay attention to the schedule, why bother setting it up at all?

And it is potentially a big deal, as far as the Caemlyn scenario is concerned. Serious reinforcements only two hours into the invasion might have saved the city, especially if channelers were included.

Luckers, so you said on the TOR thread, and so I will wait and be interested to see what you have to say. That said, you did still start off by stating it's horrible with no supporting point or evidence, you can't honestly expect not to get some form of poor reaction to that. It's the type of things I see from teenagers and hatedom's, not from intelligent people expressing their opinion.

So, people can say they like it without explainng themselves, but not that they dislike it?

No. I would agree with you had I named others fools for liking it--that sort of assertion acts upon other posters, and demands explanation. But simply expressing a feeling toward it... no. That is entirely justifiable.

I have to say, the entire chapter felt really anti-climactic. Talmanes surviving against all odds robs the prologue of its emotional punch, Rand's already figured out Elayne's pregnant, Elayne's reaction to Caemlyn's destruction was oddly subdued, the first Egwene-Egeanin meeting was a non-event as well... There's hardly any emotion or suspense. If this is what the rest of the book is going to be like, I don't think I'll like it much.

I read it as an attempt to minimize the damage from ToM. Just like Egwene is suddenly all reasonable and such. In ToM both were incredibly single-minded. I think this is fixing that up.

Yeah, it feels like Brandon's trying to rehabilitate Egwene's image, hence we get lots of retcon and ridiculous-sounding lines like:

"I may be Amyrlin, Nynaeve, but I am still Aes Sedai. Servant of all."

Next, she'll be kissing babies and mentioning how she sent help to the Borderlands off-screen in ToM. :p

So, people can say they like it without explainng themselves, but not that they dislike it?

No. I would agree with you had I named others fools for liking it--that sort of assertion acts upon other posters, and demands explanation. But simply expressing a feeling toward it... no. That is entirely justifiable.

Not that Luckers needs my support or anything, but yeah - simply expressing an impression the way he did is completely acceptable.

If Demandred ends up turning back to the Light, I will be disappointed. I guess it is pretty obvious at this point that someone is going to and I feel like that person should have had a lot fo screen time. Maybe that makes the turning more obvious. We've all been wondering what Demandred has been up to, he's barely mentioned in the story.

Also, what were you guys really expecting from BS? He was never going to be able to write the end of this story like RJ. Whoever was picked would have been in a no win situation. I'm just glad we're getting the end of the story.

Archived