DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Spoilers! Chapter One - Eastwards the Winds Blew is up on Tor

Luckers

Everyone is looking a little more reasonable in this bit - Egwene considering the idea of breaking the seals in a serious way, thinking about timing instead of just rejecting the idea (though I still think she's a little too dismissive of Rand). Elayne having set a schedule of check-ins every two hours - though waiting six when she had that schedule is pretty lax.

@BenevolentCow - I actually liked that Rand was willing to consider different options. There's no way he'll be able to make any kind of unity (which is his primary concern, and on which he didn't waver at all) unless he's willing to be somewhat flexible.

But GRRR!

Talmanes saved in the nick of time.

I didn't like that at all.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone is looking a little more reasonable in this bit - Egwene considering the idea of breaking the seals in a serious way, thinking about timing instead of just rejecting the idea (though I still think she's a little too dismissive of Rand). Elayne having set a schedule of check-ins every two hours - though waiting six when she had that schedule is pretty lax.

Yeah, I like Egwene a lot more here

But GRRR!

Talmanes saved in the nick of time.

I didn't like that at all.

YEAH!! I was right!! *does a little dance*

Also I loved his thoughts on Demandred.

I agree. And, if I may be so bold, the idea that Demandred might betray the Shadow just gained a little more traction in my mind. It would fit with the theme of "doing it right this time." I can envision a confrontation between Rand and Demandred ending with Rand apologizing and Demandred letting him go off and die in the right place and time. As long as it doesn't get ... treacly ... it could be done in an OK way.

And that's your vocabulary word for the day kids. Go look it up.

quote:

“Roedran will come,” Balwer said

interesting roemadred? or roedran?

and the earthquake and land is one with the dragon connection highlighted :) or was it just rand feeling the earthquake? and not from being united with the land?

i thought it was his connection to the land more

@david selig: haha kindle ter'angreal maybe suggest the name to Elayne

Nice way to start everything off, I liked everyone in this. Egwene is as she is supposed to be, as opposed to ToM Semigwene.

I liked how Rand is portrayed so far, I worried.

I am more excited to see Rand/Demandred meeting.

My favourite part:

Of all those to turn to the Shadow, Demandred’s betrayal seemed the most tragic. The man could have been a hero. Should have been a hero.

I’m to blame for that, too, Rand thought. If I’d offered a hand instead of a smirk, if I’d congratulated instead of competed. If I’d been the man then that I am now . . .

The only thing I didn't like was that it seemed to be patching things up from inconsistencies in ToM.

Egwene is how she should have been in ToM, but we seen nothing of this actually in ToM. Her thoughts about the Seals come out of nowhere.

The stuff about the 13th depository, while not unexpected, seems like they were added in as an afterthought, to fix what should have been addressed in ToM.

I feel like these things may have been intentionally left out to create more suspense.

Roedran is interesting. Could be Demandred planning to attack from both directions, it seems a little strange though. Unless Demandred is angry at not being able to have Asha'man because Taim is now Chosen.

A good move by him destroying Caemlyn at this time, it messes things up just that bit more, not to mention makes one of the greatest cities in the world a fortress of the Shadow.

What's Elayne's position on breaking the seals changing all the time for no reason? When Egwene first told her about it, she was ambivalent. At the end of Tom she was all "It's a big mistake, Rand must'be stopped", with no explanation why she changed her mind. Here at the start, about a day later:

"Perhaps we should simply let him do as he wishes.”

“Break the seals?” Egwene asked. “Release the Dark One?”

“Why not?”

Is Rand going to try and turn Demandred!!!

Of all those to turn to the Shadow, Demandred’s betrayal seemed the most tragic. The man could have been a hero. Should have been a hero.

I’m to blame for that, too, Rand thought. If I’d offered a hand instead of a smirk, if I’d congratulated instead of competed. If I’d been the man then that I am now . . .

It's going to be epic!

Oh one exclamation mark away from madness there.

edit: Ah I see Barid got there first .

Is anyone else expecting Kert Wagoner to suddenly teleport?

*BAMF*

I seem to recall that Rand's version of the 'globe of light' was more like a torch flame.

On the first read this one is pretty good. I wanted Talmanes to be dead though, if for no other reason than to not have to suffer his newly acquired 'humor' again.

Nice way to start everything off, I liked everyone in this. Egwene is as she is supposed to be, as opposed to ToM Semigwene.

Yeah, a big improvement I thought.

I am more excited to see Rand/Demandred meeting.

My favourite part:

Knew you'd love that part. Definitely my favorite as well. I'm happy we've finally heard Rand's thoughts on Demandred. It always seemed odd to me that he had never wondered about him.

The only thing I didn't like was that it seemed to be patching things up from inconsistencies in ToM.

Egwene is how she should have been in ToM, but we seen nothing of this actually in ToM. Her thoughts about the Seals come out of nowhere.

The stuff about the 13th depository, while not unexpected, seems like they were added in as an afterthought, to fix what should have been addressed in ToM.

I feel like these things may have been intentionally left out to create more suspense.

Yeah, it was weird. She goes from not wanting the seals broken at all to suddenly saying they need to be broken at the right time.

Roedran is interesting. Could be Demandred planning to attack from both directions, it seems a little strange though. Unless Demandred is angry at not being able to have Asha'man because Taim is now Chosen.

Can't wait to find out what's going there. Some of what Roedran has done throughout the series just doesn't make me think of Demandred even though it seems inevitable that he is Demandred.

I'd just like to say one thing though: WHY STILL NO LOGAIN!!!

So, little Elayne quibble -

She set up a schedule of check-ins every two hours. Good idea. But she only left a single team that could make gateways, and apparently the whole team was needed to make one.

When did she expect them to sleep?

I guess they take shifts.

What's Elayne's position on breaking the seals changing all the time for no reason? When Egwene first told her about it, she was ambivalent. At the end of Tom she was all "It's a big mistake, Rand must'be stopped", with no explanation why she changed her mind. Here at the start, about a day later:

“Why not?”

It's clearly a side effect of her pregnancy...

“Why not?”

Well she is pregnant.

I read it as an attempt to minimize the damage from ToM. Just like Egwene is suddenly all reasonable and such. In ToM both were incredibly single-minded. I think this is fixing that up.

Ha, funny how Rand finally knows Elayne is pregnant, it amused me.

I found this interesting.

Egwene rubbed her temples. “There is a difference between touching the world and being free...."

Headaches again, when she is thinking about the Seals. Obvious answer is that it is stress and tiredness, but I feel that Aran'gar did something more, a crappy bit of compulsion - which is why it doesn't work really well.

Got to say I expected a lot more of the moment when Rand learns Elayne's pregnant. It was underwhelming.

BTW,

“It is the same here. The seals are broken, like a sword. We can’t just patch the pieces. It won’t work. We need to remove the shards and make something new to go in their place. Something better.”

“Rand,” Perrin said, “that’s the most reasonable thing anyone has said on this topic."

Didn't Perrin himself explain it pretty much the same way at the end of ToM? So he's basically patting himself on the back in a roundabout way.

Egwene rubbed her temples. “There is a difference between touching the world and being free...."

Headaches again, when she is thinking about the Seals. Obvious answer is that it is stress and tiredness, but I feel that Aran'gar did something more, a crappy bit of compulsion - which is why it doesn't work really well.

Ooh, that's a great idea for a retcon. And if it was planned that way all along, it might account for a bit of her erratic behavior.

She set up a schedule of check-ins every two hours. Good idea. But she only left a single team that could make gateways, and apparently the whole team was needed to make one.

That's my point - if all four are required to make a gateway, then they couldn't take shifts. All four would have to be available every two hours.

That's my point - if all four are required to make a gateway, then they couldn't take shifts. All four would have to be available every two hours.

Well, they could take 2 hour shifts each but yeah that's not much.

I read it as an attempt to minimize the damage from ToM. Just like Egwene is suddenly all reasonable and such. In ToM both were incredibly single-minded. I think this is fixing that up.

Yeah, although it's rather amusing, and somewhat exasperating, how she seems to believe that Rand has not thought about the thing at all.

This was... appalling.

The whole chapter?

My favourite bit was the proof that one of the MOST annoying characters from the series has actually finally matured and is thinking clearly unlike many others!

“You are better at Healing than I.” Egwene smiled. “I may be Amyrlin, Nynaeve, but I am still Aes Sedai. Servant of all. My strength will be of use to you.”

Archived