DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"

Ironeyes

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you talk about your problems more on DM than in real life?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's also a world full of real people. sometimes you care about them. sometimes it's not about fun but about people.

depends, like in any other situation.

there through the good times and the bad times.

I would say that if they are people you truly care about, then you are interacting with them outside of DM. (I mean that as a general "you," not you specifically, Cindy.) In which case, that encroaches on being more RL than DM.

Like, Ed and I...our relationship is not a DM thing. Sure, we joke around on DM some, but 99% of our communication (including face-to-face interaction when the Army didn't have us in two directions) has always been outside of DM - it is RL.

There are people I care about on here who I do not interact with much further than messenger with, and some I do not do that with because they do not have messenger. You make it sound like DM and "real life" are two seperate worlds, one frivilous and one important - and while the concept of the site is based on "make-believe" in the social area, which can be a frivolity, I still know they are real people I am talking to and I get to talk extensively with some of these people and get to know something of them offline - it is no different than writing letters in that respect, something "real". To say I do not "truly" care, or try to measure how much I am interested or enjoy them, just because I do not get on a phone with them or write them a paper letter or go to the other side of the world to meet them is on the condescending side.

it's also a world full of real people. sometimes you care about them. sometimes it's not about fun but about people.

depends, like in any other situation.

there through the good times and the bad times.

I would say that if they are people you truly care about, then you are interacting with them outside of DM. (I mean that as a general "you," not you specifically, Cindy.) In which case, that encroaches on being more RL than DM.

Like, Ed and I...our relationship is not a DM thing. Sure, we joke around on DM some, but 99% of our communication (including face-to-face interaction when the Army didn't have us in two directions) has always been outside of DM - it is RL.

There are people I care about on here who I do not interact with much further than messenger with, and some I do not do that with because they do not have messenger. You make it sound like DM and "real life" are two seperate worlds, one frivilous and one important - and while the concept of the site is based on "make-believe" in the social area, which can be a frivolity, I still know they are real people I am talking to and I get to talk extensively with some of these people and get to know something of them offline - it is no different than writing letters in that respect, something "real". To say I do not "truly" care, or try to measure how much I am interested or enjoy them, just because I do not get on a phone with them or write them a paper letter or go to the other side of the world to meet them is on the condescending side.

DM and RL are two separate worlds. While our existence in both places makes them overlap in some ways, they are still two totally different realms. And the level that I care about people does vary accordingly. If a person cared for everyone indiscriminately, it wouldn't really be all that special to be cared about by that person. In RL, there are people that I would die for as soon as I would kill for. On DM, there are people that I might be saddened if they were no longer living, but they would eventually be forgotten.

If you truly care about someone, why wouldn't you want to hear their voice? Or see their face? I'm not saying that you should drop your life's savings on a plane ticket across the world, but skype them or something. No matter how deep a conversation gets, if you're only interacting through PMs and you don't wish to take your relationship (not necessarily romantic, but platonic) to another level of seeing/hearing, then why would you consider it equivalent to the people you care about in RL? If I knew my best RL friend cared as much about me as he did someone he only talked to through PMs on a message board, I'd feel great. :sarcasm:

that's a lot of words wrapped around what is essentially a "get a life," comment.

and taken with all the thoughtful meaning with which it was posted :)

If I'd wanted to say "get a life," I would have. That was simply an explanation on why I would leave if DM was no longer fun for me, with a side note on probably why Ed and Ithi both echoed (well, Ithi started it) the "DM is for fun" statement.

Yes, well...given that your "problems" are now buried six feet under, I don't think you should talk about them. O_O

What xP? I guess your intelligence is far more superior than mine, that's probably why I didn't get it :ph34r:

He sees dead people. So do i, for that matter.

Yes, well...given that your "problems" are now buried six feet under, I don't think you should talk about them. O_O

What xP? I guess your intelligence is far more superior than mine, that's probably why I didn't get it :ph34r:

He can also see through 6 feet of dirt, apparently. :tongue:

Well, yes, mine is. But that isn't the point here. :biggrin:

*gasp*

HE KNOWS!

1.)DM and RL are two separate worlds. While our existence in both places makes them overlap in some ways, they are still two totally different realms. And the level that I care about people does vary accordingly. If a person cared for everyone indiscriminately, it wouldn't really be all that special to be cared about by that person. In RL, there are people that I would die for as soon as I would kill for. On DM, there are people that I might be saddened if they were no longer living, but they would eventually be forgotten.

2.) If you truly care about someone, why wouldn't you want to hear their voice? Or see their face? I'm not saying that you should drop your life's savings on a plane ticket across the world, but skype them or something. No matter how deep a conversation gets, if you're only interacting through PMs and you don't wish to take your relationship (not necessarily romantic, but platonic) to another level of seeing/hearing, then why would you consider it equivalent to the people you care about in RL? If I knew my best RL friend cared as much about me as he did someone he only talked to through PMs on a message board, I'd feel great. :sarcasm:

1.) So are you saying DM is in another universe? Because that is the only way it can be a "separate world" - social media and interactions on it are part of this reality, even if they rarely cause as great a consequence as face-to-face interactions.

2.) As for the rest of that, I think you would do best to stop weighing people by your own social and emotional scales, because being separate people from you, they would necessarily have a different reckoning in this regard. Most friends I meet on here may not hold the same significance to me as my closest friends in real life, but that is because the closest friends I have in real life are my siblings, my son, and a couple others, while most of the rest are "drinking mates" - good for nothing but fun - and then there is a small class in between that who I let into my confidence only to a certain point, and that is where some of the people I speak to on here would fall. Some of them I do know what they look like and sound like; some of them I don't because I understand they have some strong personal reason for not wanting to share that with me. But I do care about them whatever level we are on, whether just words or pictures or speaking, because all such things are vehicles for human sentiment, whether greater or lesser in that ability - they will never match how much I care about my siblings or my son, but almost no one else can offline either. If some random person on DM dies, I won't much care - I did not know them - but if one of the friends I had here died, I would be deeply affected and I wouldn't forget them.

1.)DM and RL are two separate worlds. While our existence in both places makes them overlap in some ways, they are still two totally different realms. And the level that I care about people does vary accordingly. If a person cared for everyone indiscriminately, it wouldn't really be all that special to be cared about by that person. In RL, there are people that I would die for as soon as I would kill for. On DM, there are people that I might be saddened if they were no longer living, but they would eventually be forgotten.

2.) If you truly care about someone, why wouldn't you want to hear their voice? Or see their face? I'm not saying that you should drop your life's savings on a plane ticket across the world, but skype them or something. No matter how deep a conversation gets, if you're only interacting through PMs and you don't wish to take your relationship (not necessarily romantic, but platonic) to another level of seeing/hearing, then why would you consider it equivalent to the people you care about in RL? If I knew my best RL friend cared as much about me as he did someone he only talked to through PMs on a message board, I'd feel great. :sarcasm:

1.) So are you saying DM is in another universe? Because that is the only way it can be a "separate world" - social media and interactions on it are part of this reality, even if they rarely cause as great a consequence as face-to-face interactions.

2.) As for the rest of that, I think you would do best to stop weighing people by your own social and emotional scales, because being separate people from you, they would necessarily have a different reckoning in this regard. Most friends I meet on here may not hold the same significance to me as my closest friends in real life, but that is because the closest friends I have in real life are my siblings, my son, and a couple others, while most of the rest are "drinking mates" - good for nothing but fun - and then there is a small class in between that who I let into my confidence only to a certain point, and that is where some of the people I speak to on here would fall. Some of them I do know what they look like and sound like; some of them I don't because I understand they have some strong personal reason for not wanting to share that with me. But I do care about them whatever level we are on, whether just words or pictures or speaking, because all such things are vehicles for human sentiment, whether greater or lesser in that ability - they will never match how much I care about my siblings or my son, but almost no one else can offline either. If some random person on DM dies, I won't much care - I did not know them - but if one of the friends I had here died, I would be deeply affected and I wouldn't forget them.

*nods* the folly of man, to put his own judgements upon another.

And, yet, how else should one manage their scales if not by the commonly accepted ones when they have no knowledge of a person? Obviously, this will be a wrong assumption, but it would be much closer than any other.

It all depends on one's ability to adapt to new information.

Adapt or die.

Taltos, I have weighed no one. Everything here has been strictly my own opinion and I even clarified that my opinions would likely only apply to myself and those who think the same way I do.

The point of this was not a matter of how much do you care about someone... it started with the simple statement that DM is for fun. When DM becomes all about people I don't care about moaning on about their problems, I will leave. Because, for me and those like-minded, DM is not a place for that, it's a place to just hang around for laughs.

*nods* the folly of man, to put his own judgements upon another.

And, yet, how else should one manage their scales if not by the commonly accepted ones when they have no knowledge of a person? Obviously, this will be a wrong assumption, but it would be much closer than any other.

It all depends on one's ability to adapt to new information.

Adapt or die.

I agree with you there - people do tend to impose whatever they know best or common models on certain situations - but I rarely do that because I have come across enough aberrant situations or situations far different from my own to be cautious of making assumptions (because there is a pretty true saying about assume...).

There are actually other worlds in this universe, Taltos.

Girls come from Venus, for example. Venus is another planet in our universe, and more close to home, our solar system. :smile:

Ok...?

Archived