DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does anyone else think that the Battle of Camelyn seems veeery oddly timed?

The Fisher King

Exactly my point. Possibly elayne discovers trap weave that is similar. Or discovers a Ter' Angreal that serves a similar purpose. Or maybe they want them to come through because it's suck close quarters all they'd really have to do is make a Gateway right in front of it so as soon as they come out the walk into the gateway and die.

Ah! I see. You mean Rand set it up that way purposefully as a trap. Gotcha. Good be. You figure he's got his Ashaman right there. Thing is, the gates in the cellar of a store in the city, right? Not a smart way to stay on your girlfriend's good side. ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real question is... Why didnt Rand Ward the waygate like he did at SL? you'd think he would have taken a lot more precautions than just guarding it, especially as he spent quite a lot of time at Caemlyn, just seems awefully weak to me, especially as he wanted the Ogier to note down all of them for him, and wanted them all removed if possible. but no he leaves one of them open to be able to access the city of a woman he is meant to be in love with...

Yeah, that's pretty stupid - seriously. If RJ did that for a convenient way for the Trollocs, etc to attack Caemlyn, why not just saw some dreadlords opened some waygates or something?

shadowspawn cant travel through gateways... though I wonder if they can travel through ones made through TP rather than the OP

shadowspawn cant travel through gateways... though I wonder if they can travel through ones made through TP rather than the OP

Gateways are gateways, and shadowspawn cannot survive their use. Ishy's TP Traveling in TEotW's Prologue looked different, air shimmering and solidifying into a man though, so it doesn't appear that TP traveling necessarily uses a gateway per se. Yet had the TP been a way to transport shadowspawn one would think that one or more of the 29 weilders of the TP in the AOL would have taken advantage of it. I'm guessing that the TP non-gateway Traveling is a self-only method of transportation, and though there's almost certainly a way to make a 'regular' gateway with the TP, shadowspawn wouldn't survive its use.

Ishy's TP Traveling in TEotW's Prologue looked different, air shimmering and solidifying into a man though, so it doesn't appear that TP traveling necessarily uses a gateway per se.

Early bookism is what I've written that off as.

The real question is... Why didnt Rand Ward the waygate like he did at SL? you'd think he would have taken a lot more precautions than just guarding it, especially as he spent quite a lot of time at Caemlyn, just seems awefully weak to me, especially as he wanted the Ogier to note down all of them for him, and wanted them all removed if possible. but no he leaves one of them open to be able to access the city of a woman he is meant to be in love with...

He did ward it(if not in the exact same way), someone tampered with them, that is why Verin's note mentioned they falsely thought it was safe.

Didn't BS say that the shadow has figured a way to get around certain wards like what happened to Cad's trunk and the male adam.

It makes sense in a way that Caemlyn would be the first hit - Elaida's foretelling about the Caemlyn royal family being central to the Final Battle:

Rand, Galad, Elayne, Gawyn and Morgase. Might be the reason why Morgase was given so many chapters, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Galad lets himself be killed (or at least cut open) to fulfill the prophecies.

Edit to add: That might also be why Taim's place is being built with rock from Shayol Ghul and the Black Tower is in Andor.

Speaking of the Black Tower, what are the chances that Taim and his 13x13 ashaman go and hit Caemlyn from outside as a sort of pincer movement? The last battle is coming and this could be what sparks the civil war in the Black Tower that we know is coming.

I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if Logain saves the day - saving Caemlyn, thus getting his glory.

Edit to add: RJ loves his foreshadowing and until the Tower, Logain is only seen in Caemlyn - and caged in Caemlyn. What better place for him to win his glory. Either that or he'll save the AS.

Edit to add: RJ loves his foreshadowing and until the Tower, Logain is only seen in Caemlyn - and caged in Caemlyn. What better place for him to win his glory. Either that or he'll save the AS.

I think it is far more likely him and Pevara take down the BT. Then he goes on to rule the AS as equals with Egwene post TG.

I think it is far more likely him and Pevara take down the BT. Then he goes on to rule the AS as equals with Egwene post TG.

Could be right. I'm really curious about how Logain will be covered in glory, though.

Could be right. I'm really curious about how Logain will be covered in glory, though.

I still think there's the possibility that Egwene will die

Why and how, man?

Now that would drive the drive the fandom into a frenzy. Can you imagine how ecstatic some people would be. I used to think she was going to be turned possibly. That would have been epic but I don't see either happening now. The AS have already taken their lumps and she has been primed to be the great Amrylin that leads them into a new era. BS said specifically her character development is done and she is ready to kick ass at TG.

Now that would drive the drive the fandom into a frenzy. Can you imagine how ecstatic some people would be. I used to think she was going to be turned possibly. That would have been epic but I don't see either happening now. The AS have already taken their lumps and she has been primed to be the great Amrylin that leads them into a new era. BS said specifically her character development is done and she is ready to kick ass at TG.

I would be quite ecstatic, but like you I don't think it's going to happen. From my point of view all Emondsfielders have plot protection. Even Rand, since he will live again.

As for the battle at Caemlyn, right now I'm a bit ambivalent on it. The only thing of any import there are the Dragons in that warehouse. No important characters are there and it's not as if it would be particularly difficult for the Shadowspawn attackers to be defeated once the armies in Merrilor learn of it. Caemlyn may be destroyed by then, but while a tragedy for Andor it doesn't seem that important to the fight against the DO.

One might argue that because of its limited importance it's a good way to get things going at the beginning of AMOL.

I may catch flack, but Egwene is and always has been my favorite. a little stupid sometimes, but I love her subtleties. She has a great burden on her, almost as much as Rand does, and it's fun to watch. The way she finds herself subconsciously asking Rand which of the two men he is. It was priceless, and played with my heart. Regardless of everything, she still somewhere loves him. She reminds me of Min quite a bit, to be honest.

But I do have a feeling she is toast. The foreshadowing Bryne gave when he told Siuane that she was who we needed now, left me thinking, ok, she was essential to renewing the tower, and getting them set on TG, made me think that she was going to do her part and leave the tower as her legacy. Not to say she won't kick major ass, I just think she's going to go down. Probably in a blaze of glory after taking out Moggy and Cyndane, same time same place, or right after Demandred says LAWL HERE I AM, FINALLY, she goes "heartstone, statue." and pisses everyone off. (thats how you make a scale model choeden kal)

And BS did say something about a GRR Martin Style killing, which means to me that near and dear main characters will be whacked. Probably in a seemingly tasteless way from someone else's point of view.

I re-found one of the few chapters from Egwene's pov that I really remember liking, last night. The one where she is called to the little tower from Cairhien and tells the Wise Ones that she's a no good liar who is not to be trusted and gets beaten by the lot of them for toh.

I re-found one of the few chapters from Egwene's pov that I really remember liking, last night. The one where she is called to the little tower from Cairhien and tells the Wise Ones that she's a no good liar who is not to be trusted and gets beaten by the lot of them for toh.

Do you like it because she was honest and took her punishment? Or because she got beaten? lol

Do you like it because she was honest and took her punishment? Or because she got beaten? lol

In all honesty, I liked it because she fessed up and because I like the Wise Ones. I also liked the surrounding chapters with her. It's not until later that her super-leadership abilities annoy me somewhat. The only time in those chapters that I got a bit perturbed is when she's talking with nyna and elayne about the meeting Rand had with the WT's AS who went to Cairhien (where he shoved her against the wall and put a weave of invisibility around her). The three of them speak like he better watch out and he's in over his head, etc. I just feel like saying, "And who the hell are you three? The dude's got a nation of special forces people following him and has killed forsaken, taken over nations, etc." I think that's why Egwene gets under my skin - everybody else doesn't know what she knows, etc. The ego on her is bigger than Rand's.

Archived