DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WHAT DID YOU SAY? - things that characters might finally find out

Grimmauld

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's stuff that Characters might finally find out, and stuff that might finally be revealed to us.

I for one want to know what questions and answers Rand and Mo got from the Foxes. I dont think the other characters really care.

Abell to find out his son is the leader of a mercenary army.

Marin to find out her daughter is one of the most powerful females in the land.

Mrs Fain to find out her son is a cuckoo.

Tuon that Mat is really actually very simple.

Perrin that Faile likes it rough.

That birgitte is really birgitte.

Anyone telling Moiraine tha taint is gone would be nice.

Mat told her at the end of ToM. Here is the quote:

"But," Mat acknowledged, "he's got most everybody pointed toward the Last Battle. And Verin says he managed to clean the taint from Saidin"

"Blessed Light," Moiraine whispered. "How?"

"I don't know."

"This changes everything," she said, smile deepening. "He has fixed what he once set wrong. 'By the Dragon came our pain, and by the Dragon was the wound repaired.' "

I for one want to know what questions and answers Rand and Mo got from the Foxes. I dont think the other characters really care.

We know two of Rand's:

Q: How do I survive the Last Battle? A: To live, you must die.

Q: How do I cleanse the taint from Saidin? A: We don't know specifically what they said, but they gave him a riddle, which he obviously figured out.

I would like to know his third one though. As for Moiraine, while we don't know what she asked, I'd bet one of those answers told her she had to go to Rhuidean and use the Wise One's ter'angreal. I'd definately love to hear what her other questions were and I'm sure we'll find out.

I don't think Moraine was told she had to go to Rhuidean. In the Shadow Rising, she wanted Rand to attack Illian. Then again, that might have been a trick to get him to go to the Waste because at the time Rand was trying to not do what Aes Sedai wanted him to do

I don't think Moraine was told she had to go to Rhuidean. In the Shadow Rising, she wanted Rand to attack Illian. Then again, that might have been a trick to get him to go to the Waste because at the time Rand was trying to not do what Aes Sedai wanted him to do

I may be wrong, but I believe that was before they went through the doorway.

EDIT: Indeed, Moiraine mentions her desire for Rand to move on Illian in TSR Chapter 6. They all three go through the doorway in TSR Chapter 15

We know two of Rand's:

Q: How do I cleanse the taint from Saidin? A: We don't know specifically what they said, but they gave him a riddle, which he obviously figured out.

I would like to know his third one though. As for Moiraine, while we don't know what she asked, I'd bet one of those answers told her she had to go to Rhuidean and use the Wise One's ter'angreal. I'd definately love to hear what her other questions were and I'm sure we'll find out.

In the book, it comes off that Moiraine is surprised to find herself in the waste.

"They wrote that they would meet us here, on Chaendaer, today. I thought it ... unlikely ... until Rand mentioned the Stones. When he was sure--certain beyond my dissuading--that one existed here.... Let us just say it suddenly seemed very likely we would reach Chaendaer today."

And I believe she goes through the Rhuidean Rings because the Wise Ones say she must.

3: Beyo[/font]nd the Stone"]"The present is much clearer than the future even in Tel'aran'rhiod," the sun-haired Wise One said. "What is happening or beginning is more easily seen than what will happen, or may. We did not see Egwene or Mat Cauthon at all. It was no more than an even chance that the young man who calls himself Rand al'Thor would come. If he did not, it was certain that he would die, and the Aiel too. Yet he has come, and if he survives Rhuidean, some of the Aiel at least will survive. This we know. If you had not come, he would have died. If Aan'allein had not come, you would have died. If you do not go through the rings -" She cut off as if she had bitten her tongue."

3: Beyo[/font]nd the Stone"]Abruptly Moiraine rose to her knees; reaching behind her, she began undoing her dress. "I presume that I must go as Aviendha did," she said, not as a question.

Bair gave Melaine a hard stare that the younger woman met only for a moment before dropping her eyes. Seana said in a resigned voice, "You should not have been told. It is done, now. Change. One not of the blood has gone to Rhuidean, and now another."

Moiraine paused. "Does that make a difference, that I have been told?"

"Perhaps a great difference," Bair said reluctantly, "perhaps none. We often guide, but we do not tell. When we saw you go to the rings, each time it was you who brought up going, who demanded the right though you have none of the blood. Now one of us has mentioned it first. Already there are changes from anything we saw. Who can say what they are?"

None of this disproves that she could have been told to go to Rhuidean. But, since her reasoning for using the rings was already in the book, I do not think RJ also has her using one of her 3 questions to explain her decision to walk through the rings.

We know two of Rand's:

We kinda know the 3rd one. It has something like the south and east have to be as one, and the west and north have to be as one. I think it was mentioned at some point in TGS when he was trying to negotiate with Tuon.

Does Gawyn know Morgase is alive yet? I have read ToM twice, but cant remember if she had been revelaed yet when Gawyn was in Caemlyn...i dont think he knows yet.

I am currently rereading LoC and Gawyn made an interesting promise to Egwene; he promised to not kill Rand (Phaw! like he could ever kill him) if Egwene could find proof that Rand didn't kill his mother. Now he'll just kill Rand because he knocked up his sister out of wedlock ;)

Does Gawyn know Morgase is alive yet? I have read ToM twice, but cant remember if she had been revelaed yet when Gawyn was in Caemlyn...i dont think he knows yet.

I am currently rereading LoC and Gawyn made an interesting promise to Egwene; he promised to not kill Rand (Phaw! like he could ever kill him) if Egwene could find proof that Rand didn't kill his mother. Now he'll just kill Rand because he knocked up his sister out of wedlock ;)

He finds out in the last book. (Right)

Gawyn learned Morgase was alive near the end of the ToM at Merrilor when Elayne arrived and met with Egwene.

The part about the south and east must be one and the north and west must be one was part of the first answer

Thanks Wolf505, I forgot when they went through the doorway after she revealed part of her plan

We know two of Rand's:

We kinda know the 3rd one. It has something like the south and east have to be as one, and the west and north have to be as one. I think it was mentioned at some point in TGS when he was trying to negotiate with Tuon.

Nope, that is the first part of how to win the Last Battle and survive.

"The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

If the toothy Aiel are actually the male channelers and the other Aiel figure out that all the Aiel they have been sending have turned against them.

The rest of Arad Doman finding out their king is alive.

Everyone who finds out about Moiraine.

Also, Jain farstrider dying, though that is small.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that springs to mind is what Tam's reaction will be. He already knows about Min but what will he think when Aviendha and a pregnant Elayne show up, even Lan went wide eyed when he found out. Come to think of it the only characters that really know the full extent of Rand's love life (other than Rand and his girls) are Lan and Nynaeve so I think a few people are in for a shock.

Tam: "That's my boy!!!"

We know two of Rand's:

I think she knew that she'd end up in Snakes and Foxes land after fighting Lanfear. So, I'm guessing that was an answer to one of the questions. I wouldn't be surprised if the question had to do with Lanfear. She probably knew Rand would have problems with her.

We know two of Rand's:

I think she knew that she'd end up in Snakes and Foxes land after fighting Lanfear. So, I'm guessing that was an answer to one of the questions. I wouldn't be surprised if the question had to do with Lanfear. She probably knew Rand would have problems with her.

One of them mentioned Thom. And I'm guessing her marriage to her? I can't think of why that would even be a question but...

We know two of Rand's:

One of them mentioned Thom. And I'm guessing her marriage to her? I can't think of why that would even be a question but...

Well, if they said that to defend Rand from Lanfear she'd end up in Snakes and Foxes land she might have asked, "Will it be possible for me to escape?"

"Yeah, get Mat and the old dude to save you."

Done and done. ;)

I always thought being rescued was what Morianie saw in Rhuiden.

Agreed. Moiraine's letter is what tends to make me think this way.

My dearest Thom,

There are many words I would like to write to you, words from my heart, but I have put this off because I knew that I must, and now there is little time. There are many things I cannot tell you lest I bring disaster, but what I can, I will. Heed carefully what I say. In a short while I will go down to the docks, and there I will confront Lanfear.
How can I know that? That secret belongs to others.
Suffice it that I know, and let that foreknowledge stand as proof for the rest of what I say.

When you receive this, you will be told that I am dead. All will believe that. I am not dead, and it may be that I shall live to my appointed years. It also may be that you and Mat Cauthon and another, a man I do not know, will try to rescue me. May, I say because it may be that you will not or cannot, or because Mat may refuse. He does not hold me in the affection you seem to, and he has his reasons which he no doubt thinks are good. If you try, it must be only you and Mat and one other. More will mean death for all. Fewer will mean death for all. Even if you come only with Mat and one other, death also may come. I have seen you try and die, one or two or all three. I have seen myself die in the attempt. I have seen all of us live and die as captives.

Should you decide to make the attempt anyway, young Mat knows the way to find me, yet you must not show him this letter until he asks about it. That is of the utmost importance. He must know nothing that is in this letter until he asks. Events must play out in certain ways, whatever the costs.

If you see Lan again, tell him that all of this is for the best. His destiny follows a different path from mine. I wish him all happiness with Nynaeve.

A final point. Remember what you know about the game of Snakes and Foxes. Remember, and heed.

It is time, and I must do what must be done.

May the Light illumine you and give you joy, my dearest Thom, whether or not we ever see one another again.

Moiraine

It could be that she is referring to the Doorway in Tear, but she gives that information away to Egwene, Elayne, and Nyneave in TSR. Plus she knows that the doorway isn't very secret. The First of Mayene, The Highlords of Tear, the Aes Sedai, and Mat and Rand know about it.

On the other hand, the arches in Rhuidean are kept very secret. None but the wise ones know what they do. That is a secret she should keep.

I always thought being rescued was what Morianie saw in Rhuiden.

Agreed. Moiraine's letter is what tends to make me think this way.

My dearest Thom,

There are many words I would like to write to you, words from my heart, but I have put this off because I knew that I must, and now there is little time. There are many things I cannot tell you lest I bring disaster, but what I can, I will. Heed carefully what I say. In a short while I will go down to the docks, and there I will confront Lanfear.
How can I know that? That secret belongs to others.
Suffice it that I know, and let that foreknowledge stand as proof for the rest of what I say.

When you receive this, you will be told that I am dead. All will believe that. I am not dead, and it may be that I shall live to my appointed years. It also may be that you and Mat Cauthon and another, a man I do not know, will try to rescue me. May, I say because it may be that you will not or cannot, or because Mat may refuse. He does not hold me in the affection you seem to, and he has his reasons which he no doubt thinks are good. If you try, it must be only you and Mat and one other. More will mean death for all. Fewer will mean death for all. Even if you come only with Mat and one other, death also may come. I have seen you try and die, one or two or all three. I have seen myself die in the attempt. I have seen all of us live and die as captives.

Should you decide to make the attempt anyway, young Mat knows the way to find me, yet you must not show him this letter until he asks about it. That is of the utmost importance. He must know nothing that is in this letter until he asks. Events must play out in certain ways, whatever the costs.

If you see Lan again, tell him that all of this is for the best. His destiny follows a different path from mine. I wish him all happiness with Nynaeve.

A final point. Remember what you know about the game of Snakes and Foxes. Remember, and heed.

It is time, and I must do what must be done.

May the Light illumine you and give you joy, my dearest Thom, whether or not we ever see one another again.

Moiraine

It could be that she is referring to the Doorway in Tear, but she gives that information away to Egwene, Elayne, and Nyneave in TSR. Plus she knows that the doorway isn't very secret. The First of Mayene, The Highlords of Tear, the Aes Sedai, and Mat and Rand know about it.

On the other hand, the arches in Rhuidean are kept very secret. None but the wise ones know what they do. That is a secret she should keep.

Yeah, but the Foxes in the arch at Rhuidean give you actual things, the Snakes in Tear answer questions. I always wanted to know what Moiraine actually did while in Rhuidean, she didn't come back with anything. Did she go through the crystal and see her Cairhien ancestors?

Archived