DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[July Discussion] Role Playing Games

SinisterDeath

Locke, don't even waste your time on the newer final Fantasys. They are awful past ten. And even ten was about as much as i could handle for the changes. They have become wayyyyyyyyy to linear. There isn't any open world exploration any more. Might as well be a 2D scroll screen for as many options as you have in them.

Well that's too bad. Open worlds and side plots are maybe the best parts of RPGs. But even so, I would like to play all of them just so that I can experience all the different gameplay things they do with each game. (and to be honest, my game standards are pretty low. I may like some games better, but it doesn't take much to entertain me: I am quite easily amused.)

Going to have to agree to disagree Sakea. I didn't like the story for XII at all. The game play was awkward. Did not like the Summons. I liked the Gambit thing they did but I found it too confusing to figure out. It was awesome it just didn't work well with me. Looked good but the monster design was very boring. For a game that big they could have come up with more monsters instead of cycling the same ones with different colors. For instance, because I know many games use that trick, look at FF VII. That game had a SICK amount of monsters and did not very often use the same-monster-different-color trick. XIII was even WORSE with that.

XII was one that I actually enjoyed quite a bit. The storyline wasn't amazing but I found it servicable, especially with the (imo) really fun gameplay. While I agree that Summonings were exceedingly terrible (Honestly, that was one of the most useless game mechanics ever), I liked the other stuff quite a bit. The live action battles was a nice change of pace and made the battles feel more interactive, the quickenings were realllly fun (and pretty!), and the gambits...well, I really liked the gambits and how they allowed you to optimize your fighting (and avoid menial, repetitive activites). The monster design didn't really bother me; I was just glad that there were rare monsters and such that could be fought occasionally that could actually be challenging

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i first played the first zelda we ended up having to seek out friends' kids to ask them how to get out of the lost forest and through the graveyard and stuff. no i walkthroughs back in the olden days.

i used to play it so much i'd dream it with the music too, or the music and grphics would keep playing in my head and keep me awake.

oh no... it's starting again...

Ah, I have experienced this before. Tis not pleasant. But I guess that is the consequence of excessive addiction.

I would love to play it again. I borrowed her old Nintendo a few years ago but something was missing so I couldn't make it work. Is there an original Zelda game for Nintendo DS? If so I need to buy it. Wonder how much I would remember?

They remade the Ocarina of Time for 3DS. That would be cool to play.

• Community Administrator

XII was one that I actually enjoyed quite a bit. The storyline wasn't amazing but I found it servicable, especially with the (imo) really fun gameplay. While I agree that Summonings were exceedingly terrible (Honestly, that was one of the most useless game mechanics ever), I liked the other stuff quite a bit. The live action battles was a nice change of pace and made the battles feel more interactive, the quickenings were realllly fun (and pretty!), and the gambits...well, I really liked the gambits and how they allowed you to optimize your fighting (and avoid menial, repetitive activites). The monster design didn't really bother me; I was just glad that there were rare monsters and such that could be fought occasionally that could actually be challenging

Should try 13 then.

It merges 10-2 & 12's combat systems, as I described earlier. real time combat, with a mix of gambit (non-player controlled characters) and normal style FF combat. (gauge fills, can auto-select abilities given the situation, useing abilities basd on how full gauge is. will also automatically take into consideration, if the monster is immune to fire, it'll use your ice spells instead) or you can manually select them, relatively just as fast as the 'auto' system. (as you can select them, pre-gauge filled)

mixed with 10-2's 'dress sphere' system, or 12's 'job/class' system, that you can change, on the spot.

Sadly, I hardly qualify as a gamer. I've barely played a handful of the games y'all rave about. :smile:

But I did play World of Warcraft for 5 years. I blame my late husband, he started me out with a text MUD, then when most of his friends quit the MUD to play WoW, I watched him play for about 3 months before I caved and joined myself. Quit a year and a half ago due to an excruciatingly tight budget and a lack of time to put into the raiding guild I was with before I started working full time again.

*moonfire spams the thread before shifting to epic flight form and heading back to Stormwind*

I'm already thankful for my new admission to the BT, as this topic is far and away one of my favorites!

I was introduced to RPGs in 5th grade, a mere year earlier than WoT, and both have yielded fond memories.

My first endeavor was FF3 for SNES. I saw some gameplay at a friend's house, was even allowed to controller 2 characters as P2 (you could divide up the 4 playable party members between 2 players however you wanted) and was hooked. I got the game, and was enthralled with the story. Despite having so many characters, 90% of them were rich, developed characters that you genuinely grew to care for. (discounting Umaro and Gogo). The villain was unique: my first exposure to an antagonist who, to quote the Dark Knight, "Some men just want to watch the world burn". Still today, because of all this, it remains my favorite RPG.

I love every game of the FF franchise I've played, even less-than-amazing titles (Mystic Quest?), simply because it defines the genre to me. In that era I also enjoyed Breath of Fire 2, though it was much more difficult.

Today, I love the xbox 360 FF's, and other less-than-cliche games with RPG qualities: Assassin's Creed series, Mass Effect(s), Borderlands (if you haven't tried that game, it's possibly the best fps rpg out there!) and Diablo 3.

I'm not a big fan of dungeon crawlers like Skyrim, nor mmo's (though I've never tried WoW or KotOR), i seem to enjoy the turn-based and limited RPGs for the most part. (D3 limits multiplayer to 4 at a time)

If I was an RPG, I'd have to go with Borderlands. The games combination of comedy, pseudo-cartoon style graphics (I'm a part time cartoonist) with moments of genuine danger, immense battles and even more immense gear possibilities is a pretty good approximation of how I see myself metaphorically.

I'm going to say something honestly that people might bash me for, but sadly, I never got into and actually dislike the entire Zelda franchise. Something about it just never clicked with me, and certain titles were even off-putting ("Hey!" - "Listen!")

Hopefully that's not TOO sacrilegious...

randomh3r0, just so you know, FF3 on the SNES, was actually FF6. And yes, it is the bet game ever. Kefka > All. :wink:

Oh yes, I definitely know the FF6/3 thing and all that, I just figured I'd call it the American name since that's how I played it :)

FF2 (FF4 in Japan) had a really well-done remake for the DS that improved the graphics without changing the story, I'd certainly love something similar for FF3!

randomh3r0, just so you know, FF3 on the SNES, was actually FF6. And yes, it is the bet game ever. Kefka > All. :wink:

Oh yes, I definitely know the FF6/3 thing and all that, I just figured I'd call it the American name since that's how I played it :)

FF2 (FF4 in Japan) had a really well-done remake for the DS that improved the graphics without changing the story, I'd certainly love something similar for FF3!

Closest they did, was on the chronicles edition, which had CG's doneto at, that time, modern standards for it. They are (silent) CG's mind you.

Closest they did, was on the chronicles edition, which had CG's doneto at, that time, modern standards for it. They are (silent) CG's mind you.

I gotta imagine it'd be epic to do a fully-orchestrated and vocalized version of Celes' opera scene.

My first endeavor was FF3 for SNES. I saw some gameplay at a friend's house, was even allowed to controller 2 characters as P2 (you could divide up the 4 playable party members between 2 players however you wanted) and was hooked.

Wait, what, really? You could play FFVI multiplayer on the Super Nintendo!?!?!? Oh man....*suddenly tempted to buy a SNES...*

I got the game, and was enthralled with the story. Despite having so many characters, 90% of them were rich, developed characters that you genuinely grew to care for. (discounting Umaro and Gogo). The villain was unique: my first exposure to an antagonist who, to quote the Dark Knight, "Some men just want to watch the world burn".

Agreed. The characters in that game were totally awesome.

In that era I also enjoyed Breath of Fire 2, though it was much more difficult.

I remember playing that game and unlike The 7th Saga, I was actually able to beat it (after a bit of work) That was a fun game.

SD yeah i'm a totally Demon Souls fan. glutton for punishment i guess :laugh: i re-started the game for the 3rd time and finally started on Royal Class. i'll be killing that damned red dragon with soul arrows and heavy bolts before running the bridges on the 2nd part. flamming thing has cost me i can't tell you how many souls :dry:

i made the mistake of playing my first go on this game in Hunter class, then goign for Knight class. i was able to buy a soul arror finally, then foudn out i wouldn't get the ability to cast it until world 1.4 and decided another reboot was in order. so far i've sucked probably a good 2 weeks worht of hours into the game sicne i bought it 2 years ago. i still haven't bought Dark Souls, but its on my list to buy once its under $30's

Well, Dark Souls is better than demons souls imo, if only cause of the checkpoints. (more of them) And a few other things that made it less of an annoyance.

But hey, its also coming to the PC. I dunno if your pc is good enough for it (mine is) but i'll be picking it up come august.

blah to PC games! hell yesh to PS3 games :happy:

i've heard theres more checkpoints and armor and crap dropped by the beasts ... but the down side is, where Demon Souls gave you a fair shot at beating everything, there are portions of Dark Souls that are just there to kill you no matter what. that it takes unfairness in gamming to a new level :laugh:

edit - i've heard theres an actual story line in Dark Souls as well :smile:

My personal favourite would have to be dragon age (either game) with Dark souls a close second, I'm just a sucker for a good fantasy setting XD.

I tend to go for plot driven games and get bored easily with just traveling and finding stuff, wich is why I can't play Skyrim in longer sesions :unsure:

Also I'm with red2111 ps3 all the way! :happy:

My first endeavor was FF3 for SNES. I saw some gameplay at a friend's house, was even allowed to controller 2 characters as P2 (you could divide up the 4 playable party members between 2 players however you wanted) and was hooked.

Wait, what, really? You could play FFVI multiplayer on the Super Nintendo!?!?!? Oh man....*suddenly tempted to buy a SNES...*

Definitely. And that's all the reason you need to buy an SNES :)

beyond final fantasy two, they get very silly to me. aimed at much younger ppl.

Like to see younger people understand the plot of FFX. :wink:

lol... by younger i mean younger than me. that's quite a range :)

I agree to an extent. I think FF games are kind of like children's cartoons to a degree (stay with me here): There's about 60% of the game being readily available to all ages. 8 year old kids could appreciate the colors, cut scenes, and to an extent could probably navigate the battle systems, and possibly even make it a good ways through the game. However, there's that other 40% (in this metaphor, the "adult humor" found in most cartoons now days) where only slightly more developed minds can get through... the complex plot points, the nuances of the leveling systems, political attributes, character development and the intense strategy battles (foes you probably couldn't beat on your first try). So to that end I say it's a great balance. There's rpgs out there that focus more on that second half of attributes, and those are fine, but sometimes after a few hard fought battles it's nice to see a little bubble-gum and unicorns for a few mintues while you get your head on straight again.

Just my two cents.

(BTW: Final Fantasy 13-2 on xbox 360 was actually a fantastic game, and a sequal no less!)

Archived