DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Adam Baldwin as Lan Mandragoran

even the painting of lan is too pretty for his description. but honestly we are trying to figure out what rj thought was ugly and as the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ex. i think i look good, but i am logically certain that there are many who would disagree. ugly is subjective (and i think i am a bit vain)

Does RJ actually wrote that Lan was ugly. It seems that his face is always described as hard, but that does not necessarily mean ugly. Not pretty, OK but there are all sorts of nuances between ugly and pretty/handsome.

agreed i suppose. but the guy in the painting i mentioned could be considered handsome by some i think, and i just don't see lan as qualifying for that, but as i said it is subjective heh.

Liam Neeson

Clint Eastwood in the 70's or 80's would have been ideal

Most Hollywood stars are short and/or soft faced.

Lan is around 6'7", 250 pounds.

where do you pull that information for his height and weight? it might be useful for another thread, not to mention that would make him taller than most aiel men. even the tallest aiel only reach the height of shaq (7'1") and having lan at 6'7" would mean that lan is taller than rand. he is not.

EDIT: rand is tall, really tall, over 6 feet tall no doubt, but all of the humans are still human sized, and there are a few aiel mentioned as taller than rand, but he is not described as being a massive amount taller than perrin or matt, he is taller, but they are in the average range of height. lan is also described as tall, but if we compare those descriptions to the height of a man today rand would be around 6'2" to 6'3" with lan being 6' to 6'2". even among aiel rand is far from the tallest of the men, and if matt and perrin are as close to average as it seems there is no way that lan or rand approach 6'5".

I always saw Liam Neeson as Rhuarc

And i dont think Lan is 6'7

I think Rand is only 6'4-6'5 and he is taller than Lan.

I always though Lan was in the 6'2-6'3 range.

Gareth Bryne is Sean Connery (the other way around i guess). But he is getting too old if they dont do this fast. Plus he is too big for the role.

Liam Neeson

Clint Eastwood in the 70's or 80's would have been ideal

Most Hollywood stars are short and/or soft faced.

Lan is around 6'7", 250 pounds.

where do you pull that information for his height and weight? it might be useful for another thread, not to mention that would make him taller than most aiel men. even the tallest aiel only reach the height of shaq (7'1") and having lan at 6'7" would mean that lan is taller than rand. he is not.

EDIT: rand is tall, really tall, over 6 feet tall no doubt, but all of the humans are still human sized, and there are a few aiel mentioned as taller than rand, but he is not described as being a massive amount taller than perrin or matt, he is taller, but they are in the average range of height. lan is also described as tall, but if we compare those descriptions to the height of a man today rand would be around 6'2" to 6'3" with lan being 6' to 6'2". even among aiel rand is far from the tallest of the men, and if matt and perrin are as close to average as it seems there is no way that lan or rand approach 6'5".

Rand is described as very tall in the beginning of the series. The Aiel are by far the tallest people in the world.

Rand is even tall for an Aielman. Average Aielman is probably around 6'2-6-3".

I always pictured Rand as being around 6'6", given the descriptions.

"He is about 6'5" or 6'6" (196–197 cm) (as described by Robert Jordan)"

http://en.wikipedia....and_al'Thor

"He is about 6'5" or 6'6" and about 235 pounds. "

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/r/rand.html

Throughout the series, Lan and Rand are described as being similar in height. However later on, Cadusane describes Rand as being "almost as tall and broad-shouldered as Lan". Book 10.

If the series was really set in medeval times, then Rand would be 6 feet tops.

So many "almosts", but I can't find anyone that is a great fit...

Adam Baldwin - Just no for me.

Alec Baldwin - maybe 75 pounds and 10 years ago.

Clive Owen - Pretty good candidate, but I don't like the ears, and I don't really think he fits the bill of "angular".

Dolph Lundgren - good face/build, bad accent/acting. I just can't see him overcoming the accent.

Sean Bean - good face, good acting, but he's 5'10" (movie makers can do wonders to work around stuff like that, though). I do like the earlier idea of him being Tam, though. Although, I always thought Chuck Norris could be an excellent Tam, too.

Liam Nesson - probably my favorite pick out of the popular guys - has the height, great actor, etc. Might be getting/looking a little old for the part.

Brock Lesnar - hell no. No acting chops, plus his face seems pudgy to me regardless of how cut the rest of him is.

Viggo Mortensen - Actually a pretty good pick, looks, acting, etc. Only 5'11, and Lord of the Rings kind of ruins it.

Daniel Day Lewis - I personally picture Lan as larger than this guy looks - he's pretty skinny. But, he has the height, the angular face, and plenty of forehead for the hadori. Definitely looking older these days though, too - might be too late for him.

I have some suggestions - I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but I'm throwing them out for the purpose of discussion...

Eric Bana - he's big enough, not sure that he's got the "angular" thing going, probably too pretty but makeup does wonderful things.

Ken Shamrock - looked the part back in the day, probably too old now. Probably can't act either. Looked a lot more angular before he had his nose broken a dozen times - not so much now. Also has very dark eyes and no forehead.

Kevin Sorbo - He's got a lot of the qualifications, but Hercules just ruined him for anything else in my mind. Looks too soft for Lan.

Based on the names so far, I think I'd vote either Liam Nesson or Clive Owen - probably Liam. I think it would ultimately have to be a no-name actor that really fits the bill though.

Rand is even tall for an Aielman. Average Aielman is probably around 6'2-6-3".

"He is about 6'5" or 6'6" and about 235 pounds. "

http://encyclopaedia...ers/r/rand.html

Throughout the series, Lan and Rand are described as being similar in height. However later on, Cadusane describes Rand as being "almost as tall and broad-shouldered as Lan". Book 10..

I think Rand is actually descirbed as being average height for an Aiel.

I really don't think Lan isn't 6'7 either. Was Caddy looking at them side by side? Maybe Rand was slouching?

Anyway, TGH chpt 1, Rand & Lan training on the tower-

"...Lan stood just as tall [as Rand] and more heavily muscled, if not quite so broad in the shouders. [...] a face unlined as if to belie the tinge of gray at his temples."

So many "almosts", but I can't find anyone that is a great fit...

Adam Baldwin - Just no for me.

Clive Owen - Pretty good candidate, but I don't like the ears, and I don't really think he fits the bill of "angular".

Dolph Lundgren - good face/build, bad accent/acting. I just can't see him overcoming the accent.

Sean Bean - good face, good acting, but he's 5'10" (movie makers can do wonders to work around stuff like that, though). I do like the earlier idea of him being Tam, though. Although, I always thought Chuck Norris could be an excellent Tam, too.

Liam Nesson - probably my favorite pick out of the popular guys - has the height, great actor, etc. Might be getting/looking a little old for the part.

Brock Lesnar - hell no. No acting chops, plus his face seems pudgy to me regardless of how cut the rest of him is.

Viggo Mortensen - Actually a pretty good pick, looks, acting, etc. Only 5'11, and Lord of the Rings kind of ruins it.

Daniel Day Lewis - I personally picture Lan as larger than this guy looks - he's pretty skinny. But, he has the height, the angular face, and plenty of forehead for the hadori. Definitely looking older these days though, too - might be too late for him.

I have some suggestions - I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but I'm throwing them out for the purpose of discussion...

Eric Bana - he's big enough, not sure that he's got the "angular" thing going, probably too pretty but makeup does wonderful things.

Ken Shamrock - looked the part back in the day, probably too old now. Probably can't act either. Looked a lot more angular before he had his nose broken a dozen times - not so much now. Also has very dark eyes and no forehead.

Kevin Sorbo - He's got a lot of the qualifications, but Hercules just ruined him for anything else in my mind. Looks too soft for Lan.

DDL definitely has the type of face I picture Lan having. Clive Owen is a good pick. Neeson would have been great but he's 60 now.

Bana is a good suggestion.

Sean Bean is all wrong for Lan. Great choice for Tam though.

Casting a live action WoT I think you can fudge the traits some characters more than others. The actor playing Lan doesn't have to be 6'6, it's not really crucial to his character. On the other hand characters like Rand (whose heritage demands he be very tall) or Perrin (whose size informs his personality) should be as accurate as possible.

Archived