DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Retirement Home

Maleshub

126 members have voted

1. 1. If Rand lives post-TG, where do you think he'll retire?

• Shara
    • Isle of Madmen
    • Tremalking and Sea Folk Isles
    • Two Rivers
    • Malkier / Liberated Blight
    • Rhuidean
    • Seanchan
    • Another Place (specify)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he'd be quite happy to herd sheep with his father somewhere in the middle of the Westwood so long as Min is with him and his friends/harem know where to find him.

Would Min be buried next to Kari? And would Rand become another Tam, staying close to her grave? Would he get hit with a death rage when Min dies a natural death? So many things to think about there!

I think that, if Rand lives, he would retire to the Black Tower, whether it remains in Andor, or re-locates. I think he would create a 'new mission' for hismelf, to ensure the Black Tower became some sort of guard over the World (over the World, I stress, not a Big Brother over the people). Or perhaps he would try to make it a true partner and equivalent to the White Tower, only I feel his approach would be different.

I also think that, perhaps initially, he would try to settle back in the Two Rivers, but would be in a 'Frodo' situation - he may have saved Two Rivers and everything he cares about, but couldn't find peace there himself.

i have got some bad news. There wont be any black tower. Certainly not one in andor. It will vapourised in a maelstrom of fury and blood. Rand's mission ends at shayol ghul.

Logain will assume the rest of the aftermath

I think that, if Rand lives, he would retire to the Black Tower, whether it remains in Andor, or re-locates. I think he would create a 'new mission' for hismelf, to ensure the Black Tower became some sort of guard over the World (over the World, I stress, not a Big Brother over the people). Or perhaps he would try to make it a true partner and equivalent to the White Tower, only I feel his approach would be different.

I also think that, perhaps initially, he would try to settle back in the Two Rivers, but would be in a 'Frodo' situation - he may have saved Two Rivers and everything he cares about, but couldn't find peace there himself.

i have got some bad news. There wont be any black tower. Certainly not one in andor. It will vapourised in a maelstrom of fury and blood. Rand's mission ends at shayol ghul.

Do you agree with me that the white tower was torn in half?

Did the Seanchan attack involve fire and blood?

Are the sisters currently in the black tower destroying it?

After all, we only know the black tower will be rent in fire and blood, and sisters will walk its grounds. Unless I misremember the prophecy Elaida gave. But if that's really all, well, the White Tower is still alive.

Although the prophecy doesn't specify whether it would be the physical location or the people who would be vapourised. It also assumes that Rand will live. I should have said 'rebuild' the Tower, whether in Andor or elsewhere. Once he's done everything in the prophecy then he'd have to make his own mission, and people aren't likely to forget him, either way. How the White Tower will react... ?? And would the White Tower still stand or is the survival of the sisters all that would be necessary for the WT to continue? Also, if a taint has been removed from the One Power once, there would be no reason to suppose it couldn't be done again should the Dark One have any nasty surprises up his sleeve.

Actually - this also assumes that the good guys are going to win...

I think the story will end in Shayol Ghul without telling us anything about the aftermath, or about Rand's retirement. WoT has a long habit of anti-climatic endings, and Brandon isn't going to change the ending RJ wrote, not even to write more after it.

Do you agree with me that the white tower was torn in half?

Did the Seanchan attack involve fire and blood?

Are the sisters currently in the black tower destroying it?

After all, we only know the black tower will be rent in fire and blood, and sisters will walk its grounds. Unless I misremember the prophecy Elaida gave. But if that's really all, well, the White Tower is still alive.

The white tower sistuation is completely different. It was an outside attack from an enemy.

The black tower situation is completely different. Half the folks in there are darkfriends. The leader is a new age chosen. Aes sedai and ashaman are being turned in equal measures.

Big difference. The inhabitants are at war themselves. The black tower days are numbered.

Although the prophecy doesn't specify whether it would be the physical location or the people who would be vapourised. It also assumes that Rand will live. I should have said 'rebuild' the Tower, whether in Andor or elsewhere. Once he's done everything in the prophecy then he'd have to make his own mission, and people aren't likely to forget him, either way. How the White Tower will react... ?? And would the White Tower still stand or is the survival of the sisters all that would be necessary for the WT to continue? Also, if a taint has been removed from the One Power once, there would be no reason to suppose it couldn't be done again should the Dark One have any nasty surprises up his sleeve.

Actually - this also assumes that the good guys are going to win...

too much hyperbole my friend. The good guys are going to win. bad guys never win. I know it's sad but that's reality for fantasy these days. The fact that we know of outrigger novels is proof.

The white tower black tower issue is moot. The wheel dictates that the Age of legends will come to pass again once. That would necessiate men and women working together. And that has already happened with guys like flinn, narishma etc.

Rand's job is to clean the mess that happened 3000 years with his pride. Once that's finished he will walk away from the ineventual chaos that will follow a major batlle ending. That's where the aes sedai and ashaman come in. Ofcourse you will have the seanchan to play things up

too much hyperbole my friend. The good guys are going to win. bad guys never win. I know it's sad but that's reality for fantasy these days. The fact that we know of outrigger novels is proof.

The white tower black tower issue is moot. The wheel dictates that the Age of legends will come to pass again once. That would necessiate men and women working together. And that has already happened with guys like flinn, narishma etc.

Rand's job is to clean the mess that happened 3000 years with his pride. Once that's finished he will walk away from the ineventual chaos that will follow a major batlle ending. That's where the aes sedai and ashaman come in. Ofcourse you will have the seanchan to play things up

I'm still getting used to how quotes work, so if this goes wrong - mea culpa and I apologise in advance. Also 'Outrigger novels'? I'm sorry, I've never heard of that.

I have, however, read a novel in which both sides of a war almost totally annihillate each other, and all that's left are the survivors of either side - (none that we hear of during the rest of the series being the leaders). Before this happened, though, the good guys were losing, and the characters we are interested in, and stick with during the next couple of novels, only survive because of a mass escape through magical portals. The fact that the good guys essentially lost (even though some survived) was why I liked the novel - it's called 'Black Gryphon' by Mercedes Lackey. Some of the bad guys, including their leader, cause problems for later generations of good guys, as do the problems caused by the mass annihilation itself.

Another, more prominent, example of things not always going the heroes' way is in Lord of the Rings - the Scourging of the Shire. The hobbits return to find their beloved home ravaged and have to fight on and repair the damage, despite having won the bigger war, and even then Frodo is never at peace. Even the Elves retreat from the Western World, despite their lands being free of the threat of Sauron. I personally think that this is one way WoT will end, if we assume Rand's survival.

The Black and White Towers working together is a very valid point. I don't think it's unreasonable that Rand would work to make this happen after a victory over the Dark One, rather than his concentrating on the Black Tower.

But I feel the view of the Turning of the Wheel is rather fatalistic. If it's all destined to happen again and again then it offers very little incentive to improve things. And if Rand truly believed this, then his only option would be to walk away once he had done his job, and try to come to terms with everything he feels so guilty for. Personally, I hope this isn't how it ends.

(I was going to add my theory on how MoL will end, but can't figure out how to use the 'spoiler' button either!)

I'm still getting used to how quotes work, so if this goes wrong - mea culpa and I apologise in advance. Also 'Outrigger novels'? I'm sorry, I've never heard of that.

I have, however, read a novel in which both sides of a war almost totally annihillate each other, and all that's left are the survivors of either side - (none that we hear of during the rest of the series being the leaders). Before this happened, though, the good guys were losing, and the characters we are interested in, and stick with during the next couple of novels, only survive because of a mass escape through magical portals. The fact that the good guys essentially lost (even though some survived) was why I liked the novel - it's called 'Black Gryphon' by Mercedes Lackey. Some of the bad guys, including their leader, cause problems for later generations of good guys, as do the problems caused by the mass annihilation itself.

Another, more prominent, example of things not always going the heroes' way is in Lord of the Rings - the Scourging of the Shire. The hobbits return to find their beloved home ravaged and have to fight on and repair the damage, despite having won the bigger war, and even then Frodo is never at peace. Even the Elves retreat from the Western World, despite their lands being free of the threat of Sauron. I personally think that this is one way WoT will end, if we assume Rand's survival.

The Black and White Towers working together is a very valid point. I don't think it's unreasonable that Rand would work to make this happen after a victory over the Dark One, rather than his concentrating on the Black Tower.

But I feel the view of the Turning of the Wheel is rather fatalistic. If it's all destined to happen again and again then it offers very little incentive to improve things. And if Rand truly believed this, then his only option would be to walk away once he had done his job, and try to come to terms with everything he feels so guilty for. Personally, I hope this isn't how it ends.

(I was going to add my theory on how MoL will end, but can't figure out how to use the 'spoiler' button either!)

This is the flaw with the series. Doomed to repeat all over again and again and again. Sometime in the future lanfear and beidomon will drill a hole, war happens, saidin tainted and redemption happens later on.

We know rand is going to seal the bore. But imagine just imagine if the bad guys win. Shaitan does not have to win and break free from the his prison but i would love a scenario where rand seals the DO but it ends in a heavy price where the shadow takes over the world and dark friends rule supreme.

Aes sedai and ashaman are being hunted in equal measure by moridin and demandred working in cahoots!!!

Archived