DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's Retirement Home

Maleshub

126 members have voted

1. 1. If Rand lives post-TG, where do you think he'll retire?

• Shara
    • Isle of Madmen
    • Tremalking and Sea Folk Isles
    • Two Rivers
    • Malkier / Liberated Blight
    • Rhuidean
    • Seanchan
    • Another Place (specify)

If he lives, will Rand play an active role in "Randland" after Tarmon Gaidin? Or will he retire with one or more of his women? If he'll retire, where do you think he'll retire? And why?

With Saidin cleansed, Rand might want to spend his last years trying to bring order to a place where male channelers seem to live and suffer. He might, with help from Ashaman or Aes Sedai who can heal madness, turn the place into a better place. The same could be said about Shara where male channelers are for breeding and then killing at 21 as max age. But the Isle of Madmen wins, for me, by a whisker.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he will go back to the TR's it would be a nice way to incorporate Rand's wanting to go home almost from the second he left the TR's until he found out he is the dragon, and his sorrow at not being able to go home from that point further, although we haven't seen anything of him thinking of home recently.

I don't think it will be two rivers or anywhere where he will be easily idntifiable. He will retire to some place with min where he can live out the rest of his life in peace without anyone bothering him anymore

Thinking about that, Rand is a channeler and Min isn't. So, he'll probably live the rest of Min's life somewhere with her (if that's what he decides). Then he'll be alone, or with Aviendha and Elayne.

I don't think it will be two rivers or anywhere where he will be easily idntifiable. He will retire to some place with min where he can live out the rest of his life in peace without anyone bothering him anymore

Thinking about that, Rand is a channeler and Min isn't. So, he'll probably live the rest of Min's life somewhere with her (if that's what he decides). Then he'll be alone, or with Aviendha and Elayne.

I don't think rand will be channelling anymore after tarmon gaidon. His role as the dragon will end at shayol ghul and that includes his channelling.

And he wont live with elayne who will be busy with camelyn or aviendha at rhuidean. It will be min alone and forever.

I think that he will live in the Two Rivers because in the beginning he thought of returning to the Two Rivers and going back to his normal life. I think that going back to his family is the best thing for Rand, especially because all of his pressure. He may have to go help rule a country or something, but I don't think he will.

I won't speculate on his political shenanigans, but assuming he stays alive permanently after the events of TG I'd wager he takes over the Black Tower. Or open some other official channeling school, since the BT will most likely get turned into a smoking crater.

The guy is powerful enough to live around a thousand years, he couldn't possibly 'retire' for that long in isolation.

It pretty much has to be the Two Rivers. Too much foreshadowing, and too strong, for it to be anywhere else, at least at first. Also, it makes for proper legend-type scenarios, if Rand lives with Min in the Westwood. How much can he interact with Two Rivers people? I'd guess not much. The Two Rivers is growing, and only a few remain who really knew him. Min is kind of anonymous, so she might pose as a widow living in the Westwood (the King's forest) while Rand lives with her, with wards to warn him of anyone approaching. I'm guessing they'll have children. And I wonder if Rand not knowing his children with Aviendha is something that she will decide to change.

It pretty much has to be the Two Rivers. Too much foreshadowing, and too strong, for it to be anywhere else, at least at first. Also, it makes for proper legend-type scenarios, if Rand lives with Min in the Westwood. How much can he interact with Two Rivers people? I'd guess not much. The Two Rivers is growing, and only a few remain who really knew him. Min is kind of anonymous, so she might pose as a widow living in the Westwood (the King's forest) while Rand lives with her, with wards to warn him of anyone approaching. I'm guessing they'll have children. And I wonder if Rand not knowing his children with Aviendha is something that she will decide to change.

This...Westwood and seclusion for the rest of his days. Lord knows he has earned it.

Min sees as an aura arround Rand a small Inn in a village. On the door is the mark of the Dragon, no longer a sign of evil, but one of victory and hope. She is probably seeing Rand's future home, hopefully in the Two Rivers, but it could be elsewhere. Mat is on his way accross the ocean to clean up the Seanchan mess and Perrin is gojgnt o have his hands full with Faile and his own emo BS (he's bound to find something new to whine about), not to mention rulling the Two Rivers in the name of the Dragon, so Rand's friends will all land on their feet, but Rand just wants to go away. Very common with PTSD suvivors, and our boy is seriously, seriously suffering from some PTSD.

I'll go the left field answer with no grounds for it, but he'll kick it at Shayol Ghul. Do like a land reclimation project or some such thing. I'm guessing the Blight won't just suck back into the bore like someone turned on a massive vacuum. Will take time to right all that and I'm going with Rand taking up the job

I chose Other Place because if he does survive, I'd think he and the other girls would all live in Elayne's palace(s) so they can all be together and not impede on Elayne's duties as queen.

Rand is a bit young for retirement don't you guys think? He's 22. And even in Moridin's body he probably has some four hundred years or more left. For sure he will try to avoid becoming a public figure, but spending the rest of his life in seclusion in the Westwood? No way. I don't see Rand as someone who would want no contact with his lovers and his children.

Rand will certainly take a long vacation after this ordeal is over, but for him to waste away the rest of his days as a simple farmer or innkeeper is just unbelievable. Perhaps while he raises a couple of children with Min, but not forever.

We don't know what LTT did before the war with the Shadow, but he spend several hundred years on something and he was rather successful at it. There are many things Rand could do as well.

Study the One Power to create something new or recreate something from the Age of Legends, explore the Land of the Madmen or my personal favourite travel to other worlds through the Portal Stones. Aes Sedai of old were said to have done so and another planet where no one knows of the Dragon or the DO would be the perfect place for an adventure for the fun of it. Plenty of new stuff to discover.

I could see Rand choosing to become a teacher. I mean he has access to all of LTT's knowledge now, which given his status in AoL includes atleast average level of understanding in most scientific fields. In many cases probably more than average. LTT had lived for 4 centuries. Thats a LOT of time to learn things from multiple fields of science. Especially since AoL was atleast as advanced technologically as we are, and probably more so.

Thanks to LTT's knowledge and AoL education, Rand could basically revolutionize Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Biology, Economy, Engineering, Psychology, Politics, Mathematics and so on in the entire world. Even in the fields where LTT was not an expert, he could probably tell enough to other scholars to shave off several centuries from major discoveries. And ofcourse there is the fact that he was trained in OP in AoL which means he could teach a lot to the Asha'man. And since linking was common back then and Semirhage was able to use saidin for her torture weave, we can assume that LTT too would know how to channel saidar thanks to his linking experiences and as such he could likely teach a lot to Aes Sedai aswell.

Thats what I could see Rand becoming. Not a ruler, but rather a teacher and guide to any who want his knowledge/wisdom. That was actually something that was touched on in TGS, where Rands "subconscious" asks him if he wants to set the groundwork for another breaking or for another Age of Legends. If Rand does live, would he really not reveal to the world things like Germ theory or knowledge about genetics or other modern medical breakthroughs that could relieve human suffering on a grand scale?

Then there is the fact that Min has also shown significant interest in becoming a scholar in recent days. Would she really want to just retire somewhere remote and become basically a "housewive" for Rand? I think it would make a lot of sense if she joined Rand in one of the schools and basically continued the work of Herid Fel.

I'd say Malkier. Nynaeve is his best friend by now, from my reading of ToM, and it would be the perfect place of remembrance/victory, while the world bickers on about Seanchan/Aes Sedai/Asha'man/Andor/Cairhien/Tear they will be busy building the world anew on the ashes of the Shadow.

That's true, he might take the role of an Aes Sedai again too.

Rand is actually the only true male aes sedai left from AOL other than the forsaken

But you have to remember this. This current age is all about redemption. Lews therin telamon screwed up which led to the breaking of the world. Rand is about to redeem his past actions and will do that in AMOL. Once shaitan is all sealed up his job is done. The unfinished buisness is over. I won't be suprised if he even loses the ability to channel at the final confrontation.

Rand will be looking for peace and quiet after 3 years of craziness. That's why he will disappear from the scene with min. And logain will resume the leadership of the ashaman.

Archived