DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I don't like Faile

Conan

I don't know about any one else but I can't stand her. I think she is selfish and will try to make perrin turn on rand. or at the very least do something stupid and perrin will be distracted which will lead to rands death at the hands of fain.

I think everyone or almost everyone thinks that Faile is bad. I started a Egwene Appreciation Thread, and get ready for this to turn into one of those. Good luck. I'll start the debate off.

I agree with this, she really thinks that everything is a political game that she needs to be in, and doesn't think too much about friends and what should be done with a gut instinct. The only time I ever liked her is when she brought in the army to help Perrin when he was fighting the Two Rivers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't recall but I'm fairly sure min said that perrin was key to rand on two occasions the first being dumai's wells. We know that rand will die in amol. I think this will be due to perrins absence. At the end of ToM perrin says something like I'm here for rand not eguane so Faile is going to lose it and perrin will do anything to make her happy therfore he will not be around and rand will die

Faile is a wonderfully believable character.

As such, I dislike her.

Love this.

Well, I will have to say that I like her.

I can well understand the hate for her though.

In tDR she is a silly little girl who ran away from home. She is like any teenage girl in love, her and Perrin do stupid crap.

The incident with the Ways is the worst of her. It was a pretty dangerous thing to do. However, the rest of it is actually right. Perrin is being a wool-headed fool. Trying to get himself killed to "save" the Two Rivers. She was right to get angry.

She is a bit strange, compared to our standards, as a Saldaean. They live along the Blightborder, their women are stronger than most men from Tear or Illian. I can see where the hate comes into play in this regards, she does have strange cultural ways. Confusing as hell.

But I think she gets the short straw. Unlike any of the other women, her reactions and emotions are constantly under scrutiny with Perrin's wolf sense.

Unlike Elayne, Egwene or Nynaeve, we see her through Perrin's eyes most of the time, and we do not see her thoughts or reasons, only the emotions.

She is immature sometimes, like any other, but during her capture she really grows into an awesome character.

Killing Masema was the perfect example of what she has grown to be. She cares for Perrin, and will do what he can't, or won't, for his own good. She has faith in Perrin, as we see in ToM with the Whitecloaks. I don't know what makes people think she will be a problem at FoM. She was only commenting on what he said. Elayne asked him to come to convince Rand. He said he would be there. She assumed that meant he agreed. She doesn't disagree.

I hated what she did in the Ways. One of the things that truly angered me.

The actual Two Rivers stuff I was okay with, up until they got married. Everything after that I couldn't stand.

The worst thing about Faile is what she did to Perrin's character. The next 10 books were whining about how he couldn't understand her and then brooding when she was captured. Whine, whine, whine, angst, angst, angst.

I hated what she did in the Ways. One of the things that truly angered me.

The actual Two Rivers stuff I was okay with, up until they got married. Everything after that I couldn't stand.

The worst thing about Faile is what she did to Perrin's character. The next 10 books were whining about how he couldn't understand her and then brooding when she was captured. Whine, whine, whine, angst, angst, angst.

Yeah, I agree on both counts: the Ways was pretty despicable; and that she has had a negative impact (read: RUINED) on Perrin's perspective for the last four books or so. On the other hand, I think the one is an isolated incident, which she herself regrets, and that the other isn't in her control at all. We all love to hate her because of something that (essentially) has little to do with her. We loved Perrin, and now he can be a chore to read. I think this will be an important part of Perrin's storyline in AMoL. It's time for things to be right, there.

But she's one of those characters who hasn't had a place to be cool, other than a few scattered events. I believe that if she's given a chance to shine, she will.

Plus, we all know she's going to dance the sa'sara, and then all the complaints about her will mysteriously disappear. ;) (No, but honestly, I think that something big has to happen, and whether that be an honest conversation or something a little more...ahem...drastic, I believe it will round out the story a little there.)

I think she's outgrown her Berelain-hate to some degree, which needed to happen. But she still doesn't trust Perrin like she should. She thinks he's as delicate as he once thought she was, that the wrong word or thought will break him. We see the same treatment of Bashere from his wife, so I think it's cultural.

Perrin just needs to take her by the scruff of the neck and shake her, and scream: WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND SALDEAN FARMGIRLS?! That will fix all their problems.

She's parly responsible for two of my favorite WoT moments, though--Perrin smithing in Tear, and Perrin on his way into Cairhien in ACoS--so I can't hate her too much.

Perrin has always been a whiny emo, this is not Faile's fault. It got worse after his faily was killed, again nothing to do with her.

Apart from the really annoying and completely pointless subplot about Berelain and jealousy, I mostly like Faile. She's smart, she's capable and she gets the job done while Perrin whines and complains.

Faile is probably one of my prefered females in the entire series. Strange Saldean customs/beliefs aside, I actually find her character one of the most straight-forward to read. I dig that she's completely devoted to her man and his survival/success and realisitically has zero interest in the Dragon... In so much that nothing she's doing is to curry interest/favour with Rand, like Berlain was trying to do initially.

I must be in the minority, but I actually liked the Ways. Pretty childish, but I dug it

I must be in the minority, but I actually liked the Ways. Pretty childish, but I dug it

I enjoyed the Aiel humor through it.

I actually enjoy reading both Perrins and Failes story lines, I enjoy that through these two storylines you see more of the logistics of ruling, just like with elayne, and rand (when he sat in cairhein, and to a lesser extent tear). To me it makes the story more realistic, rather than have everything run all peachy 'just because'

I didn't like what she did with Loial and the ways, if it were me I'd convince Loial that she was a darkfriend and that oaths to darkfriends would betray any other oath he took so he would be an oath-breaker anyway, so might as well be a good oath-breaker. But I did enjoy Perrin bending her over and spanking her. That was hilarious!

I blame Jordan, not Faile, for Perrin being whiny and angsty for so long about so many things after their marriage. You can really tell the series was meant to be shorter, but as the plot stretched on with the inclusion of new sub-arcs, Perrin's arc got stretched out for too long. Jordan needed to wrap up a lot of Perrin's personal conflicts far sooner, or at least wrapped them up one-by-one the further the series went.

I tend to be a more tolerant and empathetic reader, but I can see where the frustration with Perrin comes from. Faile's a good character. I like her.

Meh. Perrin was being whiny and fatalistic before the Ways, and as a good emotionally charged relationship goes, Faile went way overboard in her payback.

That, to me, is the story of their relationship: they love eachother but every so often they completely overreact to eachother, and blam, a mess. Were they mature people, sure, it'd be bad... but Faile is too young to get married by Saldaean custom, and I don't think that's by accident. Faile and Perrin were in love for the first time, they messed it up, but that first anniversary of their marriage really shows they're growing up. Or at least, that one shows mostly Faile's, Perrin shows it more smeared out thanks to us being in his head more.

In short, Faile is one of the few women in a sort of normal relationship, rather than the 'I see you, now I love you forevah without troubles' type everyone else has. I like that, even if Perrin was still a whiny idiot about the whole leading thing.

Faile is extremely immature at times, but the main reason I hate her is for what she did to poor Perrin. He was a fantastic character, but he just went downhill after meeting her. I have a feeling if that plot had been a decent read then everyone would say Faile is annoying but there is no real reason to hate her.

I don't know why he likes Faile so much, she really hasn't done anything to help him besides bringing all the people to help at the Two Rivers and he loved her before that. she is annoying, wants things done her way, and is arrogant too.

I don't know why he likes Faile so much, she really hasn't done anything to help him besides bringing all the people to help at the Two Rivers and he loved her before that. she is annoying, wants things done her way, and is arrogant too.

she also runs the logistical side of his armies, helps with the negotiations and politics, and does his lordly duties

I like her because she doesn't mess around. She just does what has to be done. No arguements or arrogant speeches trying to browbeat Perrin into doing what she says. She just does it, end of story.

She publicly supports Perrin, she almost never contradicts him while in a meeting with someone important and help him out subtly, without wanting the glory of making people think she is a genius and make Perrin look like a fool.

She will call him an idiot all right, but she does it in private, so his men and others do not think him weak.

If he does something stupid, she will wait until afterwards to tell him so (unless it is something major that cannot wait).

Which is something none of the others have a problem with, they go head to head in issues making themselves look like bickering children, weakening their own position.

Faile is probably one of my prefered females in the entire series. Strange Saldean customs/beliefs aside, I actually find her character one of the most straight-forward to read. I dig that she's completely devoted to her man and his survival/success and realisitically has zero interest in the Dragon... In so much that nothing she's doing is to curry interest/favour with Rand, like Berlain was trying to do initially.

I agree with you. And personally after Perrin made that comment about Berelain I could forgive her anything.

Archived