DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Flaw with Eye of the World

Ok Rand is the flaw.

In the book when Mat and Rand escape from the people trying to kill them and Rand uses the One Power for the first time. He then gets sick because that is the norm with people who first use the one power.

Problem with all this is that he already used the one power before when they were raising out of the two rivers. He wished that Bela would be able to keep up with the rest of the horses. Now there might be an out here but I don't think it happened this way. When he wished for it he said he felt a chill through his body. Which might mean that he felt a woman channel. Which means either Moiraine or Egwene. Now since Moiraine was surprised that Bela needed less healing then the others that would through out those two. Because that meant that Moiraine didn't heal Bela and she didn't feel Egwene use the one power. And besides Egwene didn't get sick later on in the story. Why didn't Rand get all sick and week in the knees on there way to meeting Min in Baerlon?

The reaction is not only to the first time the source is touched.

"Those were only reactions," Moiraine said patiently. "Each time, the reaction comes closer to the actual touching of the Source, until the two happen almost together. After that there are no more reactions that can be seen, but it is as if a clock has begun ticking. A year. Two years. I know one woman who lasted five years. Of four who have the inborn ability that you and Egwene have, three die if we do not find and train them.

He got sick on the river boat, which channelling was that for? I remember somewhere there is a list of EotW channelling -> sickness but not sure where.

He channelled on Spray, swinging the boom to knock a trolloc off the boat. The reaction comes four days later.

Rands channeling and reactions in TEOTW:

Restoring Bela - Going crazy in Baerlon

Swinging a boom on Spray - His incident on the same boat

Lightning to get away from darkfriends - Rand gets sick shortly after

TEOTW - Rand gets sick almost immidiatly.

Ok Rand is the flaw.

In the book when Mat and Rand escape from the people trying to kill them and Rand uses the One Power for the first time. He then gets sick because that is the norm with people who first use the one power.

Problem with all this is that he already used the one power before when they were raising out of the two rivers. He wished that Bela would be able to keep up with the rest of the horses. Now there might be an out here but I don't think it happened this way. When he wished for it he said he felt a chill through his body. Which might mean that he felt a woman channel.

Saidin is often described as both hot and cold. It was Rand who did it.

He got sick on the river boat, which channelling was that for? I remember somewhere there is a list of EotW channelling -> sickness but not sure where.

He channelled on Spray, swinging the boom to knock a trolloc off the boat. The reaction comes four days later.

Rands channeling and reactions in TEOTW:

Restoring Bela - Going crazy in Baerlon

Swinging a boom on Spray - His incident on the same boat

Lightning to get away from darkfriends - Rand gets sick shortly after

TEOTW - Rand gets sick almost immidiatly.

Exactly. When he was speaking to some Whitecloaks, IIRC?

Working on the grand reread and Rand got sick after talking to Fain. He is said to have a headache and not feel right in general. Then when they dumped the cart on the Whitecloaks he was subconsciously holding the power and acting kind of like a Billy BA.

"I just got into town could you recommend a good inn."

While holding his heron marked blade.

After just getting done laughing at the Whitecloaks.

Also one incident before he used lightning. When he was swinging around on the Spray's mast or whatever, he was channeling then, and he got sick a few days later after Thom fought the fade so they could escape, which was when that darkfriend woman tried to kill them. Then after the lightning, Rand got sick while they hitched a ride on that guy's wagon.

Also one incident before he used lightning. When he was swinging around on the Spray's mast or whatever, he was channeling then, and he got sick a few days later after Thom fought the fade so they could escape, which was when that darkfriend woman tried to kill them. Then after the lightning, Rand got sick while they hitched a ride on that guy's wagon.

No. He was not channeling whilst swinging around the mast. Being foolhardy was the side effect from the channeling, which was swinging the boom to save himself when he, Mat and Thom are boarding.

No, he got sick after the boom. He was channeling when he was swinging around the mast. Why do think Ishy found him soon after the incident? And that he got sick when that DF tried to kill them? He did no channeling after the mast incident and it was before the lightning incident.

No, he got sick after the boom. He was channeling when he was swinging around the mast. Why do think Ishy found him soon after the incident? And that he got sick when that DF tried to kill them? He did no channeling after the mast incident and it was before the lightning incident.

If you are correct, then where is the side effect from the second channeling? He channels the second time while boarding Domon's ship. It does not make sense. Also Ishy finding them? What are you referring to? Ishy can find ta'veren we are pretty sure. He certainly can find their dreams and it is the fade that finds them in Whitebridge. The fade was there days before the lads arrived, because it was the only way they could go.

The first time he channeled on the ship with the boom, he got sick a few days later. Then he pulls that stunt swing around the mast, he was channeling then, and got sick later when that DF tried to kill them. Are ya even paying attention? Also remember what Ishy said, that he had lost them, but after the incident with the Mast, he said Rand made it easy for him to find him again, because he sensed Rand Channeling.

The first time he channeled on the ship with the boom, he got sick a few days later. Then he pulls that stunt swing around the mast, he was channeling then, and got sick later when that DF tried to kill them. Are ya even paying attention? Also remember what Ishy said, that he had lost them, but after the incident with the Mast, he said Rand made it easy for him to find him again, because he sensed Rand Channeling.

No that is not correct. Read it again. He does not get sick a few days after the boom channeling. They are side effects, not just sickness. Getting sick is one of the side effects.

"perhaps fever and chills that came on suddenly and put you to bed...headaches and numbness and exhilaration all mixed together, and you taking foolish chances or acting giddy."

The swinging on the mast and dismounting like a gymnast was the side effect, not channeling and was four days after the channeling. The third time he channels is calling the lighting to escape the inn. He then gets sick a few days later. The channeling and side effects are getting closer together, until they disappear altogether.

Nope. While his giddiness on the mast might have been a side effect, he was also channeling, because before the lightning incident, Rand got chills and stuff again, so where did that come from? You don't get sick twice from one touching. Then after the lightening, he got sick again and they hitched a ride on that wagon.

Nope. While his giddiness on the mast might have been a side effect, he was also channeling, because before the lightning incident, Rand got chills and stuff again, so where did that come from? You don't get sick twice from one touching. Then after the lightening, he got sick again and they hitched a ride on that wagon.

Like I said, read the passages again. It sounds like you are basing all of this on memory. Well that is cool so was I, but I went to the book to find that quote. While I had it out, I read the relevant chapters. Your memory is incorrect. So please read the bloody book again...He does not get sick on the boat. He does not get sick before the lightning incident. You are confused.

Channel in TR = sick in Baerlon

Channel boarding chip = sick on ship

Channel lightning to escape = Sick on cart, I would need a reread but isn't the darkfriend after the cart in the timeline just is a bit mixed up couse of the flashbacks thing?

Like I said, read the passages again. It sounds like you are basing all of this on memory. Well that is cool so was I, but I went to the book to find that quote. While I had it out, I read the relevant chapters. Your memory is incorrect. So please read the bloody book again...He does not get sick on the boat. He does not get sick before the lightning incident. You are confused.

Yea he doesnt get SICK on the boat, didnt he climb up the mast or something stupid, without realizing what he was doing til he was at the top?

Edynol, I think you're confusing the feeling of saidin in general (either chilling cold or blazing heat) with the sickness that sometimes comes after channeling without a guide. What Rand felt just before he called a lightning wasn't sickness due to any previous channeling; it was the feeling of embracing the Source. He felt that most times that he channeled in TEotW and TGH, only at first he didn't realize what it was (and so the descriptions are more obscure).

You have the right of it Xo...

Like meltdown said you're not remembering it accurately. He addressed the other points, but I wanted to mention that he doesn't channel at all, or get sick when the DF "lady" tries to kill him in the barn. After the lightning incident they stop for Rand to play flute. While negotiating their deal Rand becomes sick as a channeling reaction and Mat bullies the innkeeper into letting them bunk in the barn. Then the DF tries to kill them and Mat stops her with the SL dagger before throwing her dagger into a bucket of water (causing it to boil). Rand had little to nothing to do with stopping her attack.

Correctly it goes...

1. Channeling = Healing Bela, Reaction = Whitecloak giddiness. Time Between Channling and Reaction = Seven Days.

2. Channeling = Making the Boom Swing, Reaction = Climbing the Mast. Time Between Channling and Reaction = Four Days.

3. Channeling = Calling Lightning in the Four Kings, Reaction = fever and chills. Time Between Channling and Reaction = Two Days.

4. Channeling = EotW, Reaction = Memory Loss. Time Between Channling and Reaction = Straight Away.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was the case, but insistence to the contrary was so strong I was beginning to question my memories. That and the fact I was in bed with the flu for three days, I think I was getting a bit delusional. I could not make a distinction between reading some posts and feverish dreams. Got really confusing when I looked up quotes then fell asleep and started dreaming about WoT.

Edynol, I think you're confusing the feeling of saidin in general (either chilling cold or blazing heat) with the sickness that sometimes comes after channeling without a guide. What Rand felt just before he called a lightning wasn't sickness due to any previous channeling; it was the feeling of embracing the Source. He felt that most times that he channeled in TEotW and TGH, only at first he didn't realize what it was (and so the descriptions are more obscure).

I often wonder about that. He feels tingles all the time when he is around Moraine and the girls when they are leaving the TR. So maybe when he calls lightning there is a woman on the other side of the door that is holding the Power. Rand doesn't know that he can sense the Power in women yet. So his chills and tingles might be that.

It's kind of vague in the beginning of the story. I think Jordan didn't know how that was going to work out until later on in the story.

Archived