DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MotG Wk 2: Quotable Quotes Game

Quotes

One of the greatest legacies left behind by the world's greatest men and women live in the words they said. This week, I will take you through all sorts of quotes in a series of mini-games. These games will test your knowledge of famous quotes from historical figures as well as some of our favorite literary "greats".

Day One: Who Said It? WoT Edition

Day Two: Fill in the Blanks

Day Three: Who Said It? Historical Greats

Day Four: Best Adaptation

Rules

• You may only submit guesses once per day - guesses may not be changed once submitted.
  • No google! In the spirit of competition, using google to assist you is cheating.
  • Answers should be posted with the spoiler code - [ spoiler ] ANSWERS [ /spoiler ]. When you take out the spaces, it will hide your answers.
    Like this.

• You may jump in and guess any day at any time. I will save the answers until the end of the week.
  • Have fun!!

Day One to be posted shortly...

Day One: Who Said It?

This collection of quotes come from various books within the Wheel of Time series. Your task is to come up with who said each quote. As a bonus, I will give you a bonus point if you can also properly guess from which book I took the quote. Good luck!!

And don't forget the spoiler code for your guesses! (Refer to the OP for instructions on how to do that.)

1. "We used to dig up bones in the sand hills. Strange bones. There was part of a fish - I think it was a fish - as big as this boat, once. Some said it was bad luck, digging in the hills."
  2. "You are needed here, Rand al'Thor. Here, Car'a'carn. Does your honor lie with killing this man or here with those you have brought to this land?"
  3. "A fat lot you know, sheepherder."
  4. "You could get yourself in deep trouble talking to women that way. Women like a man to be quite, and well-mannered. And reserved. Reserved, and maybe a little shy. Cultivate those qualities, and you'll do well"
  5. "You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway."
  6. "It isn't a dream. Oh, Light, you're here. How?"
  7. "Do not be a complete woolhead."
  8. "Shut up! Go away! You're dead!"
  9. "And in all probability hand the Dark One his victory. Remember what - who - it is that he wants. We are in a war, as surely as anyone in Ghealdan, though thousands fight there and only eight of us here."
  10. "Then it has come again. That memory remains whole. The Dark One stirs. I have feared it. Every turning of years, the Blight strives harder to come inside, and this turn the struggle to keep it out has been greater than ever since the beginning. Come, I will take you."

Good luck!!

Day Two: Fill In The Blanks

This collection of quotes come from various historical greats and other quotable quotes. Your task is to fill in the blanks with what the real words are. I will also give you a bonus point if you can twist the quote into something that makes me laugh. However, your joke guesses do not need to be spoiler coded, just the real ones.

1. "Always do ______. This will gratify some people and ________ the rest." --Mark Twain
  2. "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to _____ ______." --Mahatma Gandhi
  3. "Everything has its ________ but not everyone _______ it." --Confucius
  4. "It is easy to be brave _____ _____ ______ _______." --Aesop
  5. "Keep your ______ close, and your enemies _______." --Sun-Tzu
  6. "Always bear in mind that your own __________ ______ _______ is more important than any one thing." --Abraham Lincoln
  7. "A woman is like a ____ _____ - you never know how ______ she is until she _______ ______ hot water." --Eleanor Roosevelt
  8. "Be careful reading health books. You may die of a __________. --Mark Twain
  9. "A countryman between two ________ is like a fish between two ________." --Benjamin Franklin
  10. "An appeaser is one who ______ a crocodile, hoping it will ______ ______ last." --Sir Winston Churchill

Good luck!!

1. good, satisfy

2. live free

3. use, uses

5.friends, closer

9. women, cats

"Always do bad. This will annoy some people and PO the rest."

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to have **x" *ducks PG-13 sign*

"Everyone has their gas, but not everyone uses it."

"It is easy to be brave when you have no enemies"

"It is easy to be brave when you are at the top of the food chain."

"Keep your men close, and your women closer."

Day One

Mat

Aviendah

Min

Verin

Lan

Elayne

Egwane

Rand

Moraine

The Green Man - Eye of the World

Day Two:

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." --Sun-Tzu

"Always bear in mind that your own piece of mind is more important than any one thing." --Abraham Lincoln

"Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. --Mark Twain

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to go streaking." --Mahatma Gandhi

"It is easy to be brave with a night light." --Aesop

"Everything has its taste but not everyone eats it." --Confucius

"A woman is like a blue crab - you never know how loud she is until she's tossed into hot water." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"An appeaser is one who spanks a crocodile, hoping it will blow kisses last." --Sir Winston Churchill

1. "Always do Right. This will gratify some people and irritate the rest." --Mark Twain

2. "Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to speak freely." --Mahatma Gandhi

3. "Everything has its price but not everyone pays it." --Confucius

4. "It is easy to be brave when you are strong" --Aesop

5. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." --Sun-Tzu

6. "Always bear in mind that your own piece of mind is more important than any one thing." --Abraham Lincoln

7. "A woman is like a - you never know how ______ she is until she _______ ______ hot water." --Eleanor Roosevelt

8. "Be careful reading health books. You may die of a papercut. --Mark Twain

9. "A countryman between two kings is like a fish between two fishermen." --Benjamin Franklin

10. "An appeaser is one who hugs a crocodile, hoping it will let go last." --Sir Winston Churchill

"Always do something silly. This will gratify some people and mortify the rest." --Mark Twain

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to kiss goats." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Everything has its time but not everyone wants to it." --Confucius

"It is easy to be brave with superior firepower." --Aesop

"Keep your ice cream close, and your enemies in your sights." --Sun-Tzu

"Always bear in mind that your own chance to party is more important than any one thing." --Abraham Lincoln

"A woman is like a raging storm - you never know how fierce she is until she starts throwing hot water." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Be careful reading health books. You may die of a blunt force trauma when you fall asleep. --Mark Twain

"A countryman between two women is like a fish between two hooks." --Benjamin Franklin

"An appeaser is one who kisses a crocodile, hoping it will roll over last." --Sir Winston Churchill

Day Three: Who Said It? (Historical/Pop Culture Greats)

This is another collection of quotes that comes from various historical greats and other people of mention. Your task is to decide which quote goes with which person. I will provide you an answer bank of the people whom I've quoted - you just have to match the person to the quote. Don't forget to use the spoiler code!

1. "Don't worry, they usually don't swim backwards."
  2. "The taste of death is upon my lips. I feel something that is not of this earth."
  3. "Money can't buy life."
  4. "My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go."
  5. "Love one another."
  6. "You can do anything, but not everything."
  7. "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to looks like a nail."
  8. "We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
  9. "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
  10. "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

Answer Choices:

• Bob Marley
  • David Allen
  • Mozart
  • George Harrison
  • Mother Teresa
  • Kurt Vonnegut
  • Steve Irwin
  • Abraham Maslow
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Aristotle

Good luck!!

2. "The taste of death is upon my lips. I feel something that is not of this earth."

Mozart

8. "We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."

Aristotle

9. "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." Hahaha I love that!!

Vonnegut

10. "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

Mother Teresa

And those are all I know without looking them up :wink: .

You can do any of the days at any time. :biggrin: That's why I'm waiting until the weekend to post the answers...gives everyone as much opportunity as possible to participate.

Day 4 to be posted shortly.

Day Four: Best Adaptation

This is an incomplete collection of quotes from various books in the Wheel of Time. This is your opportunity to get your creativity flowing and rack up points. I have provided the first half of a quote and it's up to you to finish it. It can be funny, clever, witty, etc. I will award them on a sliding scale between 1 and 4 points. So, no matter what, you're guaranteed at least one point for each attempt.

These answers do NOT need to be spoiler coded as they shall be different for everyone.

:smile:

1. "I'm a good Queen's man, like I said, but even fools say something worthwhile now and again. Even a blind pig..."
  2. "For the last time, I am not playing a trick on you. There is a..."
  3. "I compliment you on how soft my shirts are, and you snap my head off. And I said you looked cheerful, hardly the opening of a battle, I though. It was a compliment, woman..."
  4. "Light and honor, I do not know how many sisters will be required to handle..."
  5. "You've certainly been married long enough to know you shouldn't let your husband..."
  6. "A small lesson for you in the difference between wives and..."
  7. "She is shielded somehow, I know, but when she can channel again, she will..."
  8. "Now, Moghedien instructed me to offer you what assistance I thought I could give, but I'll tell you right now, I won't..."
  9. "It went exactly as I planned it, of course. You are speaking to..."
  10. "Until I sail back to Seanchan, you will amuse me with your tales of your family and its tradition. It is a relief to find a second man in this Light-forsaken land who can..."

Good luck!!

1. "I'm a good Queen's man, like I said, but even fools say something worthwhile now and again. Even a blind pig can see that giant glob of mud in your hair."

2. "For the last time, I am not playing a trick on you. There is a fairly competent remake of King Lear."

3. "I compliment you on how soft my shirts are, and you snap my head off. And I said you looked cheerful, hardly the opening of a battle, I though. It was a compliment, woman. Those are meant to remind you of what a good job you're doing being my lapdog. Now. Be a good girl and darn my socks." (~What Siuan heard~)

4. "Light and honor, I do not know how many sisters will be required to handle this Seanchan finger-trap."

5. "You've certainly been married long enough to know you shouldn't let your husband paint your toenails."

6. "A small lesson for you in the difference between wives and morat'raken."

7. "She is shielded somehow, I know, but when she can channel again, she will cook us the most delicious pizza anyone has ever tasted."

8. "Now, Moghedien instructed me to offer you what assistance I thought I could give, but I'll tell you right now, I won't do your taxes."

9. "It went exactly as I planned it, of course. You are speaking to the new Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards."

10. "Until I sail back to Seanchan, you will amuse me with your tales of your family and its tradition. It is a relief to find a second man in this Light-forsaken land who can make an egg salad that doesn't make me sick up."

• "I'm a good Queen's man, like I said, but even fools say something worthwhile now and again. Even a blind pig can dance a jig"
  • "For the last time, I am not playing a trick on you. There is a myrdaal behind you"
  • "I compliment you on how soft my shirts are, and you snap my head off. And I said you looked cheerful, hardly the opening of a battle, I though. It was a compliment, woman SO STOP BLOODY YELLING AT ME!!"
  • "Light and honor, I do not know how many sisters will be required to handle this yowling baby"
  • "You've certainly been married long enough to know you shouldn't let your husband go wandering astray"
  • "A small lesson for you in the difference between wives and myrdaal"
  • "She is shielded somehow, I know, but when she can channel again, she will carve our insides out with a spoon"
  • "Now, Moghedien instructed me to offer you what assistance I thought I could give, but I'll tell you right now, I won't lift a finger to clean all the crap off you"
  • "It went exactly as I planned it, of course. You are speaking to the person who invented the wheel"
  • "Until I sail back to Seanchan, you will amuse me with your tales of your family and its tradition. It is a relief to find a second man in this Light-forsaken land who can boil water without burning it"

Archived