DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A 3rd Sa' angreal?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As to the WT testing Ter'angreal, I've always thought that this was either linked to T'a'r or accessed one of (or more than one) of the different mirror worlds. It has been said a lot recently that T'a'r is the world of dreams and exists all or in part in all the variations of the current world. (Mentioned as to the pinpoints of light as well as T'a'r itself when one of the girls notices a difference in the new stained glass window in the Hall following it being put in to fill a hole left by the Seanchan attack. There was both Female and Male symbols iirc., while the real one had only the flame of Tar Valon.) The Ter'angreal used for the testing for Sisterhood is different and it was stated in TOM by Egwene that it uses some portion or is somehow linked to T'a'r. Needless to say I believe that T'a'r will play a major part in the next and last book. I can't wait to read it!

Well I'm pretty sure we'll find out what it is in the last book, since RJ and BS rafoed it. If it had been destroyed then it doesn't have a part to play anymore and they would've just told us. So I am pretty certain it's out there somewhere and will pop up in AMoL.

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering if size matters..

Most of the *angreals are small enough to be carried by a person. The really powerful ones, Callandor and the white fluted wand that Egwene used against the Seanchan, are larger, but can still be handled by one person. The CK, OTOH, were huge, built into the land, and were provided with portable access keys. So I'm expecting this third device to be large as well.. and I'm wondering about the White Bridge.

I'm wondering about the White Bridge.

I think Rand would have felt the resonance if it was a powerful sa'angreal, he had already started channeling then. I mean, look at his reaction to the Chodean Kal. I doubt they would make a bridge a sa'angreal, not when people are supposed to walk over it all the time (unless it wasn't made for that purpose, although I can't see any other reason to build a bridge).

Hope it would have an access key, because it is pretty useless as it is in Whitebridge. I doubt even Rand could channel it all the way to Shayol Ghul or around the world to fight.

He did feel something. I've posted on this before, can't find it, so I've have another look at EotW.

And yes, it would indeed need an access key.

ETA:

For an instant it seemed to Rand that a shadow rippled through the milk-white structure. He pulled his eyes away...

At that point, Rand has only channelled twice - once in EotW11, to energise Bela, and once in EotW20, when trollocs attack Bayle Domon's boat. So he isn't too experienced.

As to its being a bridge - consider its position, north of all those lands between the Mountains of Mist and the Spine of the World like Illian and Tear. A last line of defence if the Borderlands should fall? It could have been a bridge, or a tower, or a lifesize statue of Tamyrlin, whatever took its designers' fancy!

And if it is indeed just a bridge, why is it the only structure of its kind? Why aren't there similar crossings on all the rivers?

He did feel something. I've posted on this before, can't find it, so I've have another look at EotW.

ETA:

For an instant it seemed to Rand that a shadow rippled through the milk-white structure. He pulled his eyes away...

At that point, Rand has only channelled twice - once in EotW11, to energise Bela, and once in EotW20, when trollocs attack Bayle Domon's boat. So he isn't too experienced.

As to its being a bridge - consider its position, north of all those lands between the Mountains of Mist and the Spine of the World like Illian and Tear. A last line of defence if the Borderlands should fall? It could have been a bridge, or a tower, or a lifesize statue of Tamyrlin, whatever took its designers' fancy!

And if it is indeed just a bridge, why is it the only structure of its kind? Why aren't there similar crossings on all the rivers?

There's something mentioned in the Age of Legends sequence when Rand goes through the crystals at Rhuidean that made me think of white bridge.... I think it is a terangreal or something else...

ETA:

There's something mentioned in the Age of Legends sequence when Rand goes through the crystals at Rhuidean that made me think of white bridge.... I think it is a terangreal or something else...

I just finished that scene minutes ago...

That being said, nice white bridge theory!

ETA:

I just finished that scene minutes ago...

That being said, nice white bridge theory!

You saw it too, right? It didn't really give away anything, though..... whaddaya gonna do????

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. Just thought I would throw out this idea.

When Lanfear is discussing Callandor she states that there are two (sa'angreals) that a man can use that are stronger. Is it possible that she was simply stating that there were two male access keys to access the large sa'angreal statues?

We know there were two female ones: one Egween saw that was broken in Tanichico and the one Nyn used during the Cleansing.

It's probably safe to say that there were two male access keys. Thus, there were two access keys that existed (one that Lanfear knew of for sure) to get the power from the large male sa'angreal.

Since Rand busted the sa'angreal, the unbroken male access key, even if found, would be worthless.

Thanks.

Mentioned it back on the first page but there is a possibility it could be in the WT. We never did hear what it was Nyn and Elayne where taken to in their first "need" search that brought them to a store room in the tower.

Yep, I've asked about that before too, and it's one of the things I hope get's answered. I mean, why haven't they went and gotten it already??!!?!

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. Just thought I would throw out this idea.

When Lanfear is discussing Callandor she states that there are two (sa'angreals) that a man can use that are stronger. Is it possible that she was simply stating that there were two male access keys to access the large sa'angreal statues?

We know there were two female ones: one Egween saw that was broken in Tanichico and the one Nyn used during the Cleansing.

It's probably safe to say that there were two male access keys. Thus, there were two access keys that existed (one that Lanfear knew of for sure) to get the power from the large male sa'angreal.

Since Rand busted the sa'angreal, the unbroken male access key, even if found, would be worthless.

Thanks.

Nope, because Lanfear differentiated between the one she knows still exists (the Choedan Kal) and the one she is not sure about. She didn't know that any of the access keys still existed until TSR when Asmodean told her in TSR, but she did know that the statue existed (she saw Rand use it in TGH).

I guess this is a separate question that makes sense to ask here. Is the statue of the Choedan Kal able to be used without the access key? I know the access key allows you to control and use the Choedan Kal anywhere and that Rand attempted to access the actual statue accidentally when he came upon the excavation site, but could he have really used Choedan Kal without the access keys?

I guess this is a separate question that makes sense to ask here. Is the statue of the Choedan Kal able to be used without the access key? I know the access key allows you to control and use the Choedan Kal anywhere and that Rand attempted to access the actual statue accidentally when he came upon the excavation site, but could he have really used Choedan Kal without the access keys?

I doubt it. If you could, the Forsaken would have been all over them from the outset.

No, they weren't even tested during the War of Power. The access keys were made so that they could be accessed from anywhere; they weren't made as an extra buffer. At least, not according to the BWB. The Forsaken could have used them, but only at the site, and judging by their reactions to learning that the statues still existed, they might have been scared to try.

In regards to the 3rd sa'angreal, I still think the most likely case is that it was lost or destroyed.

No, they weren't even tested during the War of Power. The access keys were made so that they could be accessed from anywhere; they weren't made as an extra buffer. At least, not according to the BWB. The Forsaken could have used them, but only at the site, and judging by their reactions to learning that the statues still existed, they might have been scared to try.

I'm less certain of this. That's not necessarily to say that I disagree, just that I'm... less certain.

would be good to find what the item in the WT that Nyn and Elayne were supposed to find to help bind Rand and the Aes Sedai, even if it is not the 3rd one (i personally its unlikely we will see that one at this point but who knows as mentioned by Suttree it could be that item in the WT or it could be lost )

The item they eventually found in that same search was the Bowl of the Winds. Moridin said that those were used to control the weather in a small region in the Age of Legends, so there might be another Bowl in the Tower's stash. Though it would be odd if the Sea Folk Aes Sedai were unaware of it.

Random side thought, I've been half thinking for a long while now that the thing Nynaeve and Elayne Needled out in the Tower might be a ter'angreal originally involved in the drilling of the bore....

The item they eventually found in that same search was the Bowl of the Winds. Moridin said that those were used to control the weather in a small region in the Age of Legends, so there might be another Bowl in the Tower's stash. Though it would be odd if the Sea Folk Aes Sedai were unaware of it.

Though to be clear they weren't 'needing' something to fix the weather, they were 'needing' something to help Rand and secure the rebel Aes Sedai in his support. Yes, the bowl played that role both in that fixing the weather helped Rand and that the girls were able to convince the Aes Sedai they'd need Rand to make it work, but the 'need' standards could easily be fulfilled without it having anything to do with the weather.

correct me if i am wrong when they started the search, they first ended up in the WT and the item would have been closer to what their need at that time was, the bowl did the trick at that time but not in a straightforward manner, i think the item could be something else

how likely you guys think that the stash in the WT will be "read" by Avi or Elayne tries to understand them?

i think egwene would likely in her prep have considered all the ter angreal and if any unknown can be used, the best candidate to test them would be Elayne who might call on Avi to help her and maybe that way we get to see the item in question but its a far stretchhhhhh

lol

Archived