DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Looking for book recommendations

bossman

Hi Guys,

Finished WOT for the 3rd time and looking for some new reading material. I like the whole poor peasant/farmer becomes a king story line but have never come across anything even close to as broad in scope as WOT. Do you guys know of anything even remotely similar?

Other books I enjoyed:

ASOIF

Codex Alera

Elantris

Enders Game

Fallen Dragon

Kingkiller

Mistborn

Night Angel

Stormlight Archive

The Gentleman Bastards

Warbreaker

Demon Cycle

I don't like malazan or the black company. Not sure why but I just don't like them

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are a few other threads aroudn here you can check out with reading recomendations, as well as the pinned thread in this forum.

you might want to try the Dresden File by Juim Butcher though.

Everything by Joe Abercrombie. Start with The First Law trilogy. Also everything by Tad Williams Memory Sorrow and Thorn trilogy, Otherland series, Shadowmarch series. The Chronicles of Dune by Frank Herbert are good. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is pretty great. There's The Way of Kings of course, but I assume you read it though it's not listed. The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny is good. It's too bad you don't like Malazan. That's at least 3 months worth of awesome material. Oh well.

there are a few other threads aroudn here you can check out with reading recomendations, as well as the pinned thread in this forum.

you might want to try the Dresden File by Juim Butcher though.

Patrick Rothfuss; Name of the wind & Wise Mans fear

A hearty +1 to both of these suggestions.

I've mentioned it in other threads...R. Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" & "Aspect Emperor" series. IMO the latest "White Luck Warrior" was the best fantasy book to come out in 2011 by a fair margin. In the author's own words:

I wrote The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor for two kinds of fantasy readers: those who love believing in secondary fantasy worlds, and those who think they have ‘outgrown’ the genre. Over and above that, they’re dark, violent, cerebral and genuinely controversial.

On rereads this has become just about my favorite series and the literary quality is very high. The writing holds up even when compared to works out of genre.

I have been looking for more books lately, so I was wondering if I could get some recommendations based off my top ten books or series, listed below.

10 First Law

9 The Amber books

8 The Saga of Recluce

7 Dragonriders of Pern

6 LOTR

5 ASOIAF

4 WOT

3 prince of nothing and aspect emperor series

2 tigana

1 the kingkiller chronicles

The one book series I've never been able to get into was Malazan. Any suggestions will be appreciated. (I have read a great deal besides these.)

Have you read Robin Hobb's Farseer/Tawny Man trilogies? Probably one of the best fantasy authors out there, and she's definitely the best for writing interesting, believable characters, bar none. They're written in first person and not as action packed as something like WOT, but they make up for it with deep and interesting exploration of the characters, their world and relationships, intrigue and it's consequences.

I've already read lynch's gentleman bastards, but I'll definitely try out the Dresden files. I've read the soldiers son trilogy by hobb and enjoyed it so I suppose I'll try the farseer as well. I'm also going to order a copy of the first book in the vlad taltos series. I rarely see it recommended, but a friend Said it was good. What does anyone here think of that series?

Sanderson has a book out called 'The way of kings', it's supposed to be the first of a big fantasy epic, either way I really enjoyed it.

Also, look for a book called 'Farlander' and 'The Black Prism'. (they're part of multiple book series, both the first ones)

I've read the soldiers son trilogy by hobb and enjoyed it so I suppose I'll try the farseer as well.

If you actually enjoyed Soldier's Son you'll love Farseer. I'm a huge fan of Hobb, but Soldier's Son just wasn't very good. Farseer/Tawny Man, and even Liveship Traders, all deal with similar themes in an infinitely better way.

The Shadow of the Torturer; first books The Shadow of the Torturer by GENE WOLFE

Severian the main character has similarities to Rand al'Thor, it begins gently by introducing us to the character of Severian, an apprentice torturer living in a decaying and ancient city on a decaying and ancient planet circling a decaying and ancient sun.

The choice of words and syntax are strange. Sentences snake around their premises as though seeking out a blind spot at which to strike. Words summoned from ancient tomes sit cheek-by-jowl with modern ideas and expressions. This is the prose of an old place. A place that was once the future but which has now looped back in on itself to resemble the past. Books in the dying earth sub-genre are usually set in universes so far in our future that they draw more heavily from the trappings of Fantasy than they do Science Fiction. Severian’s world is no exception to this rule but the sound of the penny dropping is almost imperceptible. Severian mentions a past in which his people voyaged between the stars. A librarian refers to a crystal containing more books than the entire library. The trappings of traditional SF are here, but they are buried under the detritus of centuries.

Right from the start of the book, Severian’s world is wedged open by a chance encounter with an outlaw named Vodalus. It is not made completely clear why Vodalus is an outlaw but this romantic status seems to combine nicely with the claustrophobia and regimentation of the torturer’s guild and before long Severian is obsessed. He is so obsessed that he falls in love with one of his ‘clients’ and winds up getting himself exiled to some distant city for the terrible crime of allowing a torturee to kill herself. Severian’s exile brings with it a jarring change of writing style. Indeed, while the opening chapters of The Shadow of the Torturer are characterised by a slow trickle of information about the world and characters wrapped around a simplistic narrative, Severian’s voyage from the guild is a disorienting blur of people, names, places and sensations littered with strange repetitions, encounters and synergies that lend the book an almost mystical quality.

Hey Everone,

Couldn't find a place to post this, so I'll just post it here.

I'm out of books to read and would like advice from you die hard fantasy readers.

I have read: Robert Jordan, Raymond E. Feist, Robin Hobb, George Martin, Terry Goodkind (loathed the books).

Please don't come up with posts saying I should read twilight: No!

Any advice on a series I should read? Considering the books I've read (I like the setting)

Thanks!

Archived