DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will the Mayans Ruin Wheel of Time?

Rufae

Mayans+were+a+bit+off_12-12-01.jpg

It's a little old, but it still works. :D

sorry dude but the mayan calander doesnt need to account for leap year, it is just number of days, the leap year is in place on our calender to keep december in the winter july in the summer. the number of days on the mayan calender corrosponds to december 2012. although the idea that it is the end of the world is nonsense, it is just the start of the next baktun (bad spelling) and the end of their long count for a cycle, so the 13th baktun will start, just as the 12th started a few hundred years ago. the leap year doesnt add days that werent already there, it just keeps the months from shifting to different seasons. the mayans wouldnt have cared about that, there is hardly any change in season in central america.

I think the worry comes from the fact that Dec 2012 marks the end of the final Mayan Long Cycle. Each long cycle ends with the end of an Age and the beginning of a new one. The last one ended in flood. The one in Dec 2012 is supposed to end in fire. After this long cycle, the Mayan calander stops, they did not continue which leads many believe that the end of this cycle will be the final cycle.

Now, everyone, off to bed for some sweet dreams. :wink:

I think the worry comes from the fact that Dec 2012 marks the end of the final Mayan Long Cycle. Each long cycle ends with the end of an Age and the beginning of a new one. The last one ended in flood. The one in Dec 2012 is supposed to end in fire. After this long cycle, the Mayan calander stops, they did not continue which leads many believe that the end of this cycle will be the final cycle.

Now, everyone, off to bed for some sweet dreams. :wink:

the last one ended in nothing, nothing descernable at all. it was only a few hundred years ago. it was actualy after the end of the peak of mayan civilization(LONG after, as in a full baktun after). this will only be the 13th baktun, just as the previous was the 12th. and it didnt stop, there was nobody to continue it.

their long count is basicly the same as our mellenia

imagine if there we people who came from out of nowhere that had another form of keeping time other than the gregorian calendar, and we looked at it, and found it more logical to our culture. and strangely our previous calender 1000 years later ends it's "date planer" because nobody had planned anything after that new year. that might help one understand the 13th baktun.

• 1 month later...

lol

that video was...funny.

The math skills in this thread...we are in the 13th ba'k'tun not the 12th.

i am not going to say the world will end. But i will say the Mayans (and their predecessors) were excellent astronomners.

from 0.0.0.0.0 to 13.0.0.0.0 is 1 872 000 days. This is the length of the long count. Do the math.

(~5125 years for the lazy)

The earliest date insciption found in Meso American ruins is 7.16.3.2.13. So either they have been calculating their calendar from a time that pre-dates their use of writing and passing the info verbally for some thousands of years; or they calculated the end point and worked their way backwards.

It should be noted that many people believe that, like the rest of the calendar, the fifth digit is also base-20 (except the 2nd digit) and not base-13 and as such 22 Dec would be 13.0.0.0.1.

It should also benoted that many people believe there are more digits above the 5 commonly referenced. 0.13.0.0.0.0 becomes 1.0.0.0.0.1

So either way the count would not end at 13.0.0.0.0.

However it should not be forgotten that the roleover does occur on the winter solstice.

Come what may Dec 21 will interesting!

I thought the world was supposed to end in 2000, what with all the Y2K hysteria and all. Then there was that crazy preacher in California that had all those people convinced it was going to end last year, then it didn't and he was like- "just kidding! It's REALLY gonna end in six months so... send me money!" This is just the lastest thing. In any case, for anyone that actually believes the world will end in December... why don't you just send me all your savings for safe keeping? You won't need them after all. PM me and I'll send you my address and let you know who to write the check to :rolleyes:

That said, as a religious person, I believe the world will end (or end as we know it anyway), when God says it will, and nobody knows when that is except Him.

I thought the world was supposed to end in 2000, what with all the Y2K hysteria and all. Then there was that crazy preacher in California that had all those people convinced it was going to end last year, then it didn't and he was like- "just kidding! It's REALLY gonna end in six months so... send me money!" This is just the lastest thing. In any case, for anyone that actually believes the world will end in December... why don't you just send me all your savings for safe keeping? You won't need them after all. PM me and I'll send you my address and let you know who to write the check to :rolleyes:

That said, as a religious person, I believe the world will end (or end as we know it anyway), when God says it will, and nobody knows when that is except Him.

Matt. 24.

yeah, i agree that God's the only one who knows when it'll be. Regardless though, eventually it'll happen, and when it does, the release of a fantasy book won't matter compared with the Apocalypse. can you imagine? these mobs of WOT fans dressed up like Aiel and Asha'man and a whole bunch of Rands, Matts and Perrins, busting open wherever the books are stored after printing but before sale at the stores :P and reading them frantically as giant meteors are falling, or aliens killing people... or however the end will happen :)

The mayan end of the world I s based on a single calendar, there are other Mayan calendars found in other sites that continue the cycle to another twelve thousand years or whatever. It would be like archeologists in the futures finding a 2012 calendar and deciding that we all thoughtt the world would end on December 31.

Mayans+were+a+bit+off_12-12-01.jpg

It's a little old, but it still works. :D

sorry dude but the mayan calander doesnt need to account for leap year, it is just number of days, the leap year is in place on our calender to keep december in the winter july in the summer. the number of days on the mayan calender corrosponds to december 2012. although the idea that it is the end of the world is nonsense, it is just the start of the next baktun (bad spelling) and the end of their long count for a cycle, so the 13th baktun will start, just as the 12th started a few hundred years ago. the leap year doesnt add days that werent already there, it just keeps the months from shifting to different seasons. the mayans wouldnt have cared about that, there is hardly any change in season in central america.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVeOJuhjmps&list=UUZYTClx2T1of7BRZ86-8fow&index=14&feature=plcp

Or if in southern hemisphere - December summer and July Winter :)

it just not keeps in line the seasons but also the '365 days a year' - with out the leap year we would have the normal year - 365 and a quarter (similiar to the Julian Calendar)

• 5 months later...

12 years in is a little early to be saying quote of the millennium. Especially over this. I mean it was only twelve years ago when we had y2k and as far as chicken little scares I think that was a little more note worthy. Granted, that wouldn't count for current millennium news, but there is a lot more of this millennium to go and I'm pretty sure we can out do this quote.

To be fair to the Mayan's they didn't think the world would end today, just that their calendar needed flipping round today. The equivalent would be saying that the people who created the Gregorian calendar thought the world would end December 31st 9999AD because we ended up calling this year 2012 rather than 00000002012.

Archived