DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin Seals the Bore in every Cycle

ArthurOysgelt

Firstly, I'd like to apologize if this theory has already been mentioned, perhaps in a different form. However, I truly welcome insightful feedback, and in advance I thank everyone for reading this post. My speculation below is merely one way that the books can end, but I'd like to discuss the viability.

A few points I'd like to lay out to make my case:

1. 1. Lews Therin failed to properly reseal the bore last time, when he used the One Power. Rand speculates that this was because only saidin was used. (His alter-ego "Lews Therin", however, suggests that the fundamental problem is that "Something" has to touch the bore/the Dark One in order to seal him.)
  2. 2. Mierin Eronaile (a.k.a. Lanfear) together with another Aes Sedai named Beidomon, was responsible for creating the Bore into the Dark One's prison. Lanfear claimed that Tel'aran'rhiod was her domain (TDR, Ch. 36). In other words, she knew very well what she was doing when she went there. She knows about the Portal Worlds, (TGH, Ch. 16).
  3. 3. The Shadow wanted to convert Rand al'Thor, and, though its forces weren't always consistent on this point, Ishamael, the Shadow's one and only philosopher darkfriend, believed (I think) that killing Rand would not ensure utter victory. Ishamael has claimed on more than one occasion that Rand has in the past been defeated by the Shadow.
  4. 4. Perrin seems to have been relegated to a somewhat underwhelming role as a counter to Slayer and his Darkhounds.
  5. 5. Rand and Egwene have learned to enter Tel'aran'rhiod "in the flesh", as of book 5...and the seemingly interesting and powerful way of affecting Tel'aran'rhiod hasn't been exploited by anyone other than Slayer since then.

Perhaps Perrin and Tel'aran'rhiod are the solution to seal the bore in a way that doesn't involve "touching" the Dark One. (Perhaps this is even how Perrin fulfills the Dark Prophecy of his demise.) Perhaps this is how the Bore is sealed, by something beyond simple human channeling of a "patch" on the bore. Perhaps it is significant that Lanfear, one of the two to open the can of worms, was so knowledgeable in the Portal Stones and, supposedly, Tel'aran'rhiod. Perhaps this was how she and Beidomon opened up the Bore? Perhaps the reason why the Dark One still was defeated in every age was because there was still someone to close the Bore. Lastly, perhaps the significance of the ability to travel to Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh is the significantly greater extent to which the traveler gains the ability to affect this nexus of reality, something which Slayer and the dreamspike have shown to us.

A far-fetched thought: Rand and Egwene can perhaps give access to Perrin to enter there even physically.

your ideas seem to be rambling nonsense.

Perrin will not seal the bore in this age or any.

Wake up and smell the roses.

Well there have been slight implications that Perrin, as a blacksmith, has some understanding of how to fix things/rebuild things/whatever, so I'm quite confident that Perrin will have something to do with the sealing D: Maybe not the whole thing, but something significant anyway.

The only thing that can seal the bore is the pattern itself.

Then why is the dragon even needed.

because he has the power and nous to allow the pattern to close the hole lanfear and co bored into. Without the dragon, the pattern cannot close and heal itself.

Ok I'll have that. What happens if he's killed

because he has the power and nous to allow the pattern to close the hole lanfear and co bored into. Without the dragon, the pattern cannot close and heal itself.

If the dragon is killed, then either the game ends in a draw upon which a new dragon is spun out from the wheel to start another good vs evil situation

or as the dark one keeps reaching through that tiny hole, he finally through sheer will and strength rips open that hole and his prison and he utters the famous words ' I am finally free' In which case no one not even a 100 dragons will be able to save the world then.

your ideas seem to be rambling nonsense.

Perrin will not seal the bore in this age or any.

Wake up and smell the roses.

Well there have been slight implications that Perrin, as a blacksmith, has some understanding of how to fix things/rebuild things/whatever, so I'm quite confident that Perrin will have something to do with the sealing D: Maybe not the whole thing, but something significant anyway.

Maybe Perrin will play an integeral role in convincing Egwene that the seals must be broken and cleaned out to insure that when they are recreated, they will be strong enough to endure all time.

If the dragon is killed, then either the game ends in a draw upon which a new dragon is spun out from the wheel to start another good vs evil situation

or as the dark one keeps reaching through that tiny hole, he finally through sheer will and strength rips open that hole and his prison and he utters the famous words ' I am finally free' In which case no one not even a 100 dragons will be able to save the world then.

This new dragon is it straight away that he's spun out?

This new dragon is it straight away that he's spun out?

I don't understand. There is no such thing as new dragon or old dragon. The dragon is the same throughout the ages. I only used that term for demonstrative purposes.

Lews therin failed to seal the bore properly in the last age. He has been spun to this new age to complete the job.

The Dark One is the Dovah'kin? It all makes sense now. He's got to doom Randland so that he can be free to save Skyrim! *cough* [/unsubstantiated non-theory]

Firstly, I'd like to apologize if this theory has already been mentioned, perhaps in a different form. However, I truly welcome insightful feedback, and in advance I thank everyone for reading this post. My speculation below is merely one way that the books can end, but I'd like to discuss the viability.

1. 1. Lews Therin failed to properly reseal the bore last time, when he used the One Power. Rand speculates that this was because only saidin was used. (His alter-ego "Lews Therin", however, suggests that the fundamental problem is that "Something" has to touch the bore/the Dark One in order to seal him.)
  2. 2. Mierin Eronaile (a.k.a. Lanfear) together with another Aes Sedai named Beidomon, was responsible for creating the Bore into the Dark One's prison. Lanfear claimed that Tel'aran'rhiod was her domain (TDR, Ch. 36). In other words, she knew very well what she was doing when she went there. She knows about the Portal Worlds, (TGH, Ch. 16).
  3. 3. The Shadow wanted to convert Rand al'Thor, and, though its forces weren't always consistent on this point, Ishamael, the Shadow's one and only philosopher darkfriend, believed (I think) that killing Rand would not ensure utter victory. Ishamael has claimed on more than one occasion that Rand has in the past been defeated by the Shadow.
  4. 4. Perrin seems to have been relegated to a somewhat underwhelming role as a counter to Slayer and his Darkhounds.
  5. 5. Rand and Egwene have learned to enter Tel'aran'rhiod "in the flesh", as of book 5...and the seemingly interesting and powerful way of affecting Tel'aran'rhiod hasn't been exploited by anyone other than Slayer since then.

Perhaps Perrin and Tel'aran'rhiod are the solution to seal the bore in a way that doesn't involve "touching" the Dark One. (Perhaps this is even how Perrin fulfills the Dark Prophecy of his demise.) Perhaps this is how the Bore is sealed, by something beyond simple human channeling of a "patch" on the bore. Perhaps it is significant that Lanfear, one of the two to open the can of worms, was so knowledgeable in the Portal Stones and, supposedly, Tel'aran'rhiod. Perhaps this was how she and Beidomon opened up the Bore? Perhaps the reason why the Dark One still was defeated in every age was because there was still someone to close the Bore. Lastly, perhaps the significance of the ability to travel to Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh is the significantly greater extent to which the traveler gains the ability to affect this nexus of reality, something which Slayer and the dreamspike have shown to us.

A far-fetched thought: Rand and Egwene can perhaps give access to Perrin to enter there even physically.

It would make a sort of sense. I'm not saying I'm behind the theory mind, just that it's plausible enough that I don't think it justifies some of the scorn it's already copped.

Let's break it down.

To handle the battlefield tactics we have one of the three: Mat Cauthon, possessor of luck and the knowledge of generations of generals.

For the magics, the breaking of the seals and making the signs come to pass we have Rand Al'Thor: Only guy with the right mix of power and crazy to take on the supernatural being of ultimate evil.

For growing a beard and showing up with some wolves we have Perrin Aybara, the third of the central Taver'en(sp): He just happens to be the most powerful walker of TAR alive (possibly ever) and have a mind for intricate puzzles and a love for order...

Lucky he was there to represent bearded males I guess!

I don't understand. There is no such thing as new dragon or old dragon. The dragon is the same throughout the ages. I only used that term for demonstrative purposes.

I think what he's asking is, how long would it take for a new Dragon to arrive on the scene? After Lews Therin, it took 3000 years for the Dragon to be Reborn. Granted, the world could afford to wait that long with the Dark One already temporarily sealed, and it was necessary for the Pattern to wait until the Dragon was needed and the Dark One about to break free for him to be reborn again. If Rand died, the quickest it would take for a new Dragon to come about would be around 20 years, and that's assuming that the Dragon Soul could be shoved into the body of the next baby to be conceived.

The Dark One is the Dovah'kin? It all makes sense now. He's got to doom Randland so that he can be free to save Skyrim! *cough* [/unsubstantiated non-theory]

It would make a sort of sense. I'm not saying I'm behind the theory mind, just that it's plausible enough that I don't think it justifies some of the scorn it's already copped.

Let's break it down.

To handle the battlefield tactics we have one of the three: Mat Cauthon, possessor of luck and the knowledge of generations of generals.

For the magics, the breaking of the seals and making the signs come to pass we have Rand Al'Thor: Only guy with the right mix of power and crazy to take on the supernatural being of ultimate evil.

For growing a beard and showing up with some wolves we have Perrin Aybara, the third of the central Taver'en(sp): He just happens to be the most powerful walker of TAR alive (possibly ever) and have a mind for intricate puzzles and a love for order...

Lucky he was there to represent bearded males I guess!

Thanks!

I had another thought about this: Why are the wolves so important to the Last Battle? In the related texts of wolves and the Last Battle, "it is said that wolves will fight alongside men", and wolves themselves recognize that it's important for them to be there for the Last Hunt. You hear this pretty much every second time Perrin speaks to them.

That said, though, how much of an impact can the wolves really make? (I still can't understand how a 10-foot tall murderous behemoth armored and armed to the teeth can be killed by a 120-pound grey wolf....) ...but, wolves are strong in Tel'aran'rhiod. Maybe not as effective/strong as Perrin is now, but still a force to be reckoned with. ...and every time a wolf dies in the waking world, the wolf goes to Tel'aran'rhiod.*

*See Terms and Conditions for extenuating circumstances.

A neat little ace in the hole if RJ planned for the wolves to be the tipping point in the effort to seal the Bore in Tel'aran'rhiod, by having them effectively popping up in force in the place, when their presence might be needed to help the team seal the Bore.

Side note: Rand needs two women to help him wield Callandor: Nynaeve and...Egwene. No idea where Alivia comes in to play.

*Terms and Conditions

Wolves do not get to got Tel'aran'rhiod under the following circumstances:

• Wolf dies due to balefire
  • Wolf dies due to Darkhound
  • Wolf dies due to Slayer (possibly)
  • Wolf dies due to having its soul sucked out by a Drakhar
  • Wolf dies due to having its soul sucked out by Mashadar (possibly)
  • Wolf dies due to having its soul sucked out at Shayol Ghul in some other weird manner

The wolves fight as a pack... Um. Think of them like spartans. One alone isn't a superior unit, but they fight in unison and their numbers and teamwork turn them into a lethal machine, the spartan comparison also takes into account their dedication til death. Wolves have been known to throw a whole pack at a Myrdraal and consider it a fair butchers bill.

Not a chance any of this theory can be true, but maybe Perrin helping to seal the bore. When Rand was in the history of the Aeil walk, his ancestors were around when the hole was drilled. This, makes your theory impossible. There would have been no explosin to have been seen, if they drilled the hole in TAR. :)

Not a chance any of this theory can be true, but maybe Perrin helping to seal the bore. When Rand was in the history of the Aile walk, his ancestors were around when the hole was drilled. This, maks your theory impossible. There would have been no explosin to have been seen, if they drilled the hole in TAR. :)

No actually, if the hole was drilled in TAR then it still would have appeared in the real world thus causing the explosion

Not a chance any of this theory can be true, but maybe Perrin helping to seal the bore. When Rand was in the history of the Aile walk, his ancestors were around when the hole was drilled. This, maks your theory impossible. There would have been no explosin to have been seen, if they drilled the hole in TAR. :)

No actually, if the hole was drilled in TAR then it still would have appeared in the real world thus causing the explosion

Really? so when Rand is fighting Rahvin in TAR, and Ishamael, all the damage they did would be in the real world? I would like to see the chapter you read on both those fights where the damage was in the real world. Every thing we know of TAR, says no!!

Really? so when Rand is fighting Rahvin in TAR, and Ishamael, all the damage they did would be in the real world? I would like to see the chapter you read on both those fights where the damage was in the real world. Every thing we know of TAR, says no!!

We only know that conventional methods in affecting the real world through Tel'aran'rhiod don't work, but let's face it. The Bore, and Shayul Ghul - well, some weird shit happens there. Who knows what kind of a shockwave opening the Bore in Tel'aran'rhiod would have? Besides, Shayul Ghul isn't exactly the ideal site for your office building.. Pretty sure if the Bore was opened up on the Sears Tower, teh tower would stop working properly.

Also, check out the fantastic quote from Herid Fel about the sealing of the Bore, where he suggests that maybe the Dragon isn't the one to do the sealing: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/67387-stalemate/page__view__findpost__p__2163850

Archived