DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Final Fantasy

Sakaea

Man Ishy went more indepth than I had time to go into when I made my post.

I started with 8 had my characters up to level 40 on the first disc because I forgot what I was suppoesed to be doing lol. I got my ps2 hoping to play 11 in high school until I found out it needed special hardware and a monthly subscription, since I didn't have a job I was screwed on that front. So I got FF8 my own personal copy anyways, and FF7. Over time I was able to track down 9 and Chronicles (4 and Chrono Cross or Trigger not sure which). I got 10 and 10-2 when it released, 12 collector's edition. found 5,6 and PSP versions of 1 and 2 at a gamestop after joining the Military I also finally picked up ff11 in 2006/2007 time frame have played it longer than any other game I own (still play it when I have time). Chains of Promathia story line was the greatest story line by far in FF11 it is up there with 7 and 8's story line in my book. I picked up ff13 and 14 when they released, I really like 13 so far it's a challenge in you need to set up jobswaps kinda like 10-2 but more complex so far the hardest game I had to track down were both tactics games I have them now but I'm not very far in either.

Favorite characters throughout the franchise: Squall, Rinoa, Tifa, Asche, Prish(ff11 CoP story line), Jecht(it's to bad you can't play as him), Sephiroth, Lightning, also I will list my favorite Type-0 characters Queen, Ace, Seven, and the one with dual handguns (forgot his name)

Most hated characters: HOPE!, Vaan, The kid from Tactics(not the war of the Lions one the other), Kefkaa

Best inter-character relationships: Squall and Rinoa, Tidus and Yuna, Cloud and Sephiroth (back story to final showdown epicness), Tidus and Jecht

Worst inter-character relationships: Cloud and Tifa (due to even in AC it's glossed over and not built upon at all)

Best story lines 7,8,10, and Chains of Promathia from 11

Worst story lines: 10-2 (the Tidus that isn't Tidus concept ruins it)

I'll add to this later.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IV, V, VI, X, XII, and Tactics. I'd like to play VII, the rest I'm content with missing until they make another really good one.

Of those I have played, VI is by far the best. The storyline and characters are great *coughXcough*, and the game, along with Chrono Trigger, set my top standards for video games. Not that I didn't enjoy the other games in the franchise (it is still Final Fantasy after all) but none of the other ones really matched up to VI in one way or another.

What I liked:

V: Job system

VI: Storyline; Characters (Kefka! =D); Dialogue; Espers; Various abilities; Equipment (first game I felt that did a good job with it); Sidequests; Everything else

X: Sphere Grid; Summoning; Blitzball; Equipment customization; Overdrive; Auron; Arena

XII: License System; QUICKENINGS!!!!; Gambits; Bounties; Rare enemies; Extra cute moogles; Bazaar

Tactics: Turn based; Jobs

What I didn't like:

IV: Not very refined

VI: Nothing

X: Tidus; Dialogue (Tidus);

All I've got from the top of my head right now. I haven't played any of these games in ages. (=/)

I spent a lot of time on X trying to defeat everything in the Arena. I got all the Celestial weapons except Tidus's and Lulu's I think. (Tidus was just impossible and Lulu I'm not patient enough for) Of course this made those two characters quite weak since they didn't have damage break. I think I was trying to get enough black matter to customize HP break, although I never actually got it (thankfully some of the Aeons don't have that problem) Anyway, I beat all the Area and Species Arena monsters, but I only managed to beat like half of the other ones, the really hard ones. When I finally did go to fight the final boss, I was rather disappointed since I could kill him in one hit.

I really really loved the Quickenings and Gambits from XII. Mist chaining together the various Quickenings was lots of fun, and then setting Gambits for all the healing and buffs made the gameplay much more enjoyable.

Does anyone highly recommend 8,9, or 13?

I'd recommend 9 Locke. It was the first game of FF that I played so it holds a special place in my heart. :) The gameplay is pretty standard. If you get the Princess to use the healing rod just whack yourself with it, I think when you get it she has a hard time concentrating anyway so whacking yourself for health is easier then trying to attack and hoping she goes through with it. The storyline till disc three was pretty good a mix of funny, and light with dark, but after you get to disk three or the beginning of disc four the story turns pretty dark. Just saying in case you care about that kind of thing.

I had a rough time with eight, but if you don't mind drawing your magic from everyone you fight and can set up a magic user in your party, and let the rest do whatever they want you might like it. Usually Squall was the physical attacker for me. Irvine stole things, and whoever the third, usually Quistis, was the magic user. That worked out well. :)

Agreed!

Has anyone figured out how to pick up Kimari's best weapon in X? Killing me that I can't figure it out. *laughs* Since he's usually my third in that game. Perfect cast is Auron, Lu, Kimari. The first two have break damage and whew my life is good. *laughs*

Locke, 8 and 9 are both ones you should play. The storylines, characters, and game play are all epicness.

13, was good, but very linear. 13-2 comes out tomorrow, and I can hardly wait. Supposed to be what got left out of 13 due to friggin' Microsoft. 13 is a good story, and I loved most of the characters. Hope is an annoying whiny child that I wanted to kill most of the time. Fang and Lightning were awesome, and Vanille was Rikku 2.0. Loved it :happy:

I'd recommend 9 Locke. It was the first game of FF that I played so it holds a special place in my heart. :) The gameplay is pretty standard. If you get the Princess to use the healing rod just whack yourself with it, I think when you get it she has a hard time concentrating anyway so whacking yourself for health is easier then trying to attack and hoping she goes through with it. The storyline till disc three was pretty good a mix of funny, and light with dark, but after you get to disk three or the beginning of disc four the story turns pretty dark. Just saying in case you care about that kind of thing.

I had a rough time with eight, but if you don't mind drawing your magic from everyone you fight and can set up a magic user in your party, and let the rest do whatever they want you might like it. Usually Squall was the physical attacker for me. Irvine stole things, and whoever the third, usually Quistis, was the magic user. That worked out well. :)

Agreed!

Has anyone figured out how to pick up Kimari's best weapon in X? Killing me that I can't figure it out. *laughs* Since he's usually my third in that game. Perfect cast is Auron, Lu, Kimari. The first two have break damage and whew my life is good. *laughs*

pretty sure I bought the guide, if I have it I'll let you know.

I have the guide too. You get Kimahri's ultimate weapon, the Spirit Lance, the following way: The Jupiter Crest can be found in a chest situated behind one of the pillars at Gagazet Prominence. (where you fought Seymour Flux)

For the Jupiter Sigil you need to catch 7 blue butterflies at Macalania Woods.

To get the Spirit Lance, go to the Thunder Plains and examine 3 Cactuar Stones there with the SQUARE button. A Ghost Cactuar will appear. Now go to Thunder Plains South, then a bit northeast from the save sphere. When you see a fallen lightning rod tower examine it with the SQUARE button to receive the weapon.

For the Jupiter Sigil you need to catch 7 blue butterflies at Macalania Woods.

see now i'm confused because I get a time limit to catch the damn things, and then when I go to the next part of the woods the time goes away. So I go back, and pick up a butterfly and then go on to the next bit time's gone again. I just haven't a clue how to do it. I may need to see a tutorial or something on Youtube. *laughs* Plus the butterflies can't be worse then Lu's weapon.

Did anyone fully complete the Arena?

Yeah i did. Do you know how annoying it is to capture ALL the creatures for the stupid thing! *laughs*

(Pasado=best attack in game)

True, although i'm more enamored of Razza it looks cooler.

YES! I spent ages getting them all. *laughs* Trying to remember...I know I never beat the underwater one (where you could only use Wakka, Rikku, and Tidus). I think there were a couple other ones that I never managed to beat as well.

Yeah...(too bad there's not a second damage limit break..=p Their combined overdrive move was terrible since it used all 3 moves for only 99,999 damage)

FFX is too easy to nerf though, if you know how. Once you unlock Don Tonberry in the Monster Arena, you can completely finish the Sphere Grid in exactly two fights. And that's starting out from the very beginning. Every fight with DT gets you 99 Sphere Levels per fight when you meet the right conditions. And this makes it really easy to max every characters stats at 255. After your stats are maxed, even the unique Monster Arena creations are doing less that 500 dmg per attack. And with the customized ultimate armor you should make, auto-haste makes it where you never even get attacked to begin with. Actually, the MA, other than Nemesis, is a big let down. And even Nemesis is a joke with Celestial Weapons and 255 in every char's stats.

And as far as Celestial Weapons go, somewhere on gamefaqs.com is a link to a map that shows you the correct path to take in Macalania Woods to get Kimahri's. I was with y'all, my first playthrough I gave up altogether. But with the map I got it on my first try. There's a specific route to take that makes it a lock to get. And btw Kae, you actually can hit one of the bad butterflies and still get the chest. The only thing I never realized was that you had to get all the good butterflies on BOTH screens to get the Sigil, the first chest always gives you a Teleport Sphere. And as for Lulu's Venus Sigil, I never had a problem with it. I always get it my first trip through the Thunder Plains and don't need a No Encounter armor. There's one particular spot, on the second screen. It's a little alcove with one of the Cactuar stones in it. Place yourself between the wall and the stone. When you jump to dodge the lightning, you bounce between the stone and wall. It doesn't move you a single step. Just stand there and dodge. Takes 15 minutes tops, and getting the 3 MP Spheres and 3 STR Spheres that early makes everything to the Calm Lands a cakewalk. The only CW that still gives me any problems is Tidus's Caladbolg. And that's just time consuming, not actually hard.

Interesting. I'll definitely try that next time I play thru X. We're starting XIII-2 this weekend, and that'll take until at least summer, then playing thru IX, which'll take until at least fall. So I'll try it this fall :tongue:

FFX is too easy to nerf though, if you know how. Once you unlock Don Tonberry in the Monster Arena, you can completely finish the Sphere Grid in exactly two fights. And that's starting out from the very beginning. Every fight with DT gets you 99 Sphere Levels per fight when you meet the right conditions. And this makes it really easy to max every characters stats at 255.

Interesting. Sounds kinda lame though. Although I guess playing the game for over 200 hours is also lame. >.> My characters were about...2/3rds the way through the sphere grid maybe.

Also, I completely forgot to mention the music. Nobuo Uematsu is a great composer, and the Final Fantasy music is among the best. Imo "The Decisive Battle" from FFVI is one of the greatest soundtracks of all time (although most people tend to talk of "Terra's Theme" in that regard)

Also, I completely forgot to mention the music. Nobuo Uematsu is a great composer, and the Final Fantasy music is among the best. Imo

I've seen him in concert! There was a Final Fantasy concert here in my city. My brother, sister, and I all went. He ended up singing with the choir for One-Winged Angel. It was great, I love the music!

Also, I completely forgot to mention the music. Nobuo Uematsu is a great composer, and the Final Fantasy music is among the best. Imo

I've seen him in concert! There was a Final Fantasy concert here in my city. My brother, sister, and I all went. He ended up singing with the choir for One-Winged Angel. It was great, I love the music!

So.. jealous.. His composing is just.. nostalgia.

Archived