DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who do you wish to see die on the side of light?

thom_merrilin

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who do want to see die at Tarmon Gai'don

Voted for Elayne and Faile out of spite, and for the added plot devices it would add.

I also voted for Gareth, not because I don't like him. I actually think he's a very well done character. But as the well-honored military man he is, I think it would be an amazing scene to have him go down in battle.

Edit: I will cry if Min dies. She's my favorite character.

I love Aviendha, but think that to lead the Aiel back to the Way of the Leaf(my own pet theory) she would have to die.

I think a scene were she doesn't defend herself and allows herself to be killed to prove a point to the Aiel that a, pacifist can have courage, could be beautiful and poignant if written properly.

If that happens, I burn the book. As soon as it dries out, having gotten wet when I vomited on it.

Avi's one of my favorites, but if she leads the Aiel to the Way of the Leaf, she deserves to die.

Guest PiotrekS

I love Aviendha, but think that to lead the Aiel back to the Way of the Leaf(my own pet theory) she would have to die.

I think a scene were she doesn't defend herself and allows herself to be killed to prove a point to the Aiel that a, pacifist can have courage, could be beautiful and poignant if written properly.

If that happens, I burn the book. As soon as it dries out, having gotten wet when I vomited on it.

Avi's one of my favorites, but if she leads the Aiel to the Way of the Leaf, she deserves to die.

Second that, except there is no way in hell Avi would lead the Aiel to the Way of the Leaf. That would belong with Hinderstrap and The Seven-Striped Lass.

Am I the only one that hopes Lan lives? :rolleyes:

Firstly because he's one of my favourites - but also because he's beem marching straight towards death from book 1. A 1 man army against the shadow, people say it would be amazing to have him die in that war - I say it would be legendary to have him actually come out on the other side, winning his war (with the help of God!Rand and a zillion cannon fodders in TG of course!).

Besides I'm a sucker for the hard fought romances. Thus I am cheering for Nyn-Lan, Moir-Thom and Siuane-Garreth.

The death of any of the above I'd find more sad than a death of the other major characters.

Besides I'm a sucker for the hard fought romances. Thus I am cheering for Nyn-Lan, Moir-Thom and Siuane-Garreth.

The death of any of the above I'd find more sad than a death of the other major characters.

This. What would be awesome would be to actually see some of the characters that have suffered and struggled for so long finally get to have a chance at living a good life. I don't know about everyone else... but abusing characters and then killing them off is not my idea of satisfaction.

Let's see:

Elayne: I admit to having no reason for wanting her dead other than spite.

Rand: If he doesn't die, I might be a bit disappointed. Everything is leading to his death, and if he doesn't die, it just...well, it ruins the struggle to accept his death in retrospect.

Thom: Because there are very few, if any, romantically charged tragedies. If Thom dies, I feel it would crush Moiraine. And that would just be beautiful if done properly.

Lan: For much the same reason as Maj. Which is actually similar to my reasoning for wanting Rand dead. If he doesn't die, I'll be pretty put out.

Faile: Also because I hate her.

I almost added Loial to my votes. Just because he's so universally loved.

I could actually see his wife publishing his book posthumously.

Second that, except there is no way in hell Avi would lead the Aiel to the Way of the Leaf. That would belong with Hinderstrap and The Seven-Striped Lass.

I've always thought since SR that most of the Aiel will be killed in the last battle. So the few who survive will have to adopt a new way or old, whatever.

I fully expect the vast majorities to die spitting in sightblinders eye.

I personally would like to see those who survive turn back to the Way of the Leaf, as I've said it would have to be written right, to avoid being soppy and melodramatic but I think it could be a powerful part of the last book.

But that's just me. Different strokes and all that. Plus its 100 times better than the fate that awaits them in Avi's vision

Guest PiotrekS

I've always thought since SR that most of the Aiel will be killed in the last battle. So the few who survive will have to adopt a new way or old, whatever.

I personally would like to see those who survive turn back to the Way of the Leaf, as I've said it would have to be written right, to avoid being soppy and melodramatic but I think it could be a powerful part of the last book.

But that's just me. Different strokes and all that. Plus its 100 times better than the fate that awaits them in Avi's vision

Yeah, I agree it's better, but I believe their history shows that the Way of the Leaf was also not the perfect way. And "Great Battle done, but the world not done with battle" - going back to pacifism could be a little bit too much like cowardice and avoiding responsibility in such circusmtances. I hope they'll find a way in-between: not fighting jut for the sake of it like before, but when the cause is worthy.

After most of your people died saving the world from the devil, saying that unconditional pacifism is the only way and therefore those who died in battle made a wrog choice would be at least disrespectful to the rest of their nation, don't you think? And it would just wrong in my opinion. Their culture is impressive and I hope most of it will survive.

I think the key is they must not be isolated and singled out but they must have a place and alliance with other nations from the beggining.

Yeah, I agree it's better, but I believe their history shows that the Way of the Leaf was also not the perfect way. And "Great Battle done, but the world not done with battle" - going back to pacifism could be a little bit too much like cowardice and avoiding responsibility in such circusmtances. I hope they'll find a way in-between: not fighting jut for the sake of it like before, but when the cause is worthy.

After most of your people died saving the world from the devil, saying that unconditional pacifism is the only way and therefore those who died in battle made a wrog choice would be at least disrespectful to the rest of their nation, don't you think? And it would just wrong in my opinion. Their culture is impressive and I hope most of it will survive.

I think the key is they must not be isolated and singled out but they must have a place and alliance with other nations from the beggining.

Cowardice???? If most of the Aiel died fighting the DO wouldn't the world honour them? Haven't they paid there Toh for breaking their oaths? Therefore isn't it wrong to go back to killing again?

Its like a thief repenting and giving back all he stole, then when the last item is with its rightful owner, he goes and thieves some more.

And wasn't perfect before? Well, nothing perfect but I think the life of a Aiel in the AoL was pretty close.

They were honoured by all, were beloved servants of the most powerful people alive, plus they helped feed the world with their growing songs.

People would have rather cut off their own hands than raise it to an Aiel. Terrible hey?

Guest PiotrekS

Cowardice???? If most of the Aiel died fighting the DO wouldn't the world honour them? Haven't they paid there Toh for breaking their oaths? Therefore isn't it wrong to go back to killing again?

Its like a thief repenting and giving back all he stole, then when the last item is with its rightful owner, he goes and thieves some more.

And wasn't perfect before? Well, nothing perfect but I think the life of a Aiel in the AoL was pretty close.

They were honoured by all, were beloved servants of the most powerful people alive, plus they helped feed the world with their growing songs.

People would have rather cut off their own hands than raise it to an Aiel. Terrible hey?

I'm not saying it was terrible. I'm not saying they were cowards. Or that their lives weren't productive. Just that I think there are times when there is no other choice but to fight. Allowing your loved ones to be slaughtered because of faithfulness to an ideology, no matter how noble, is a perversion to me. I don't see AoL Aiel as anyhow superior to the present day Aiel. uber-pacifists and uber-warriors are too one-sided, they need to find a balance imho.

They can be honoured, sing the growth songs, help the Aes Sedai but still fight trollocs and myrdraal when need arises. And above all, defend themselves and others. It's not a black and white choice imho.

Aviendha knows that Aiel who were not living according to the Way of the Leaf - anything but - where hardly murderous and immoral monters. They were in general a noble and impressive people. so hard-core pacifism isn't the only acceptable way and in my opinion going back to the past would be ignoring the lessons of history, just the same as sticking to the same would ignore Aviendha's visions.

I agree that in a unsafe world, to allow your loved ones to be slaughtered is perverse.

I think though that once Avi speaks to Rand he will make some sort of deal on behalf of the Aiel as part of his demands to the leaders of the world for fighting the DO. (That's just a gut feeling and probably completely wrong).

But I will concede that unless something like that happens it would be wrong for them to return to the way of the leaf.

Back to the topic of this thread though, Avi will die, to save the Aiel. Some price will have to be paid to avoid the future Avi saw for them.

Archived