DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

i noticed a weakness in the Stedding

dicetosser1

ive been listening to the books on cd at work while i do court lists and am almost finished the great hunt part one. I noticed something when lioal verin and all went to stedding tsofu.

Weve always been told that you cant channel in a stedding right??

then explain to me how verin delves that ogier who had been messed up by the ways??

I would think you can use a well in a Stedding. Nyv uses one in far madding and that has that thing that recreats a stedding. so i would say yes its possible.

Can you channel into a stedding from outside? Or create a gateway into a stedding? I don't think so but I could be wrong . . .

Far Madding just blocks the ability to embrace the source, it doesn't disrupt weaves. If a stedding disrupts weaves it wouldn't matter if you had a Well or not.

I would think you can use a well in a Stedding. Nyv uses one in far madding and that has that thing that recreats a stedding. so i would say yes its possible.

Can you channel into a stedding from outside? Or create a gateway into a stedding? I don't think so but I could be wrong . . .

Far Madding just blocks the ability to embrace the source, it doesn't disrupt weaves. If a stedding disrupts weaves it wouldn't matter if you had a Well or not.

Good point, I didnt think of that.

sorry but no, i believe it gets explained a few times through book 7 and once or twice in the first book. Channeling doesn't affect a stedding whether it be trying to channel to the inside or make a gateway into one. The "why" of it is left up in the air.

It should be possible to channel weaves outside a stedding and create a "natural " effect inside.

For example, generate lightning or rain.

Or chuck rocks into it.

Steddings clearly cut off connections to the Source.

But we don't know if they disrupt weaves as well.

Steddings are outside normal Wotland Tar - perhaps because they're slightly shifted from normal plane of existence.

But we don't know if a dreamer could enter TAR from inside a stedding.

Perrin's one stay in EotW didn't IIRC involve entering TAR but I haven't read the book for years.

It should be possible to channel weaves outside a stedding and create a "natural " effect inside.

Or chuck rocks into it.

Steddings are outside normal Wotland Tar - perhaps because they're slightly shifted from normal plane of existence.

Perrin's one stay in EotW didn't IIRC involve entering TAR but I haven't read the book for years.

we do know that you cannot enter a stedding in TAR. There is a comment in the books that there are certain places one cannot enter in TAR, being Stedding, Rhuidean (before Rand and Asmo trash the place), the blight, and I don't remember if there were others.

Or chuck rocks into it.

we do know that you cannot enter a stedding in TAR. There is a comment in the books that there are certain places one cannot enter in TAR, being Stedding, Rhuidean (before Rand and Asmo trash the place), the blight, and I don't remember if there were others.

Yeah, I think that somewhere in the books it was mentioned that steddings could not be Accessed in TAR...obviously it wasn't explained why, either due to the power being absent and unattainable in a stedding and therefore outside of the pattern itself or what who knows. But what about the blight? I didn't know that it was not reachable via TAR, and if it isn't than it is for an entirely different reason than the steddings. Possibly due to the dark ones touch being so prevalent there, but the blight is DEFINITELY in their plane of existence so that is up to debate, especially because it was not always the blight.... and the mist surrounding rhuidean was a protection probably established by a ter'angreal of some sorts, which would mean that the power of the item somehow reached through to TAR....interesting interesting, I doubt RJ left any plot holes though so these are things that have real effects, we just don't know what they are. Possible Q&A with BS after final books is realeased? I know it is too much to hope for but at some point I really hope that RJ's notes will be put out to the public in some fashion to unravel some of the many mysteries that exist in our beloved Randland.

Peace and Love

Warrior.

Yes, I know that a stedding cannot be entered in TAR by a dreamer who's sleeping outside the stedding, or by a channeler gating into TAR from outside the stedding.

What we don;t know is, supposing a Dreamer was sleeping inside a stedding, if he/she could enter TAR.

That is, do steddings have their own reflections in TAR, which are shielded from normal WoTland?

Ditto for SG, Blight, Finnland,etc.

As for the Blight, I think that it has been said that it is a kind of layer over the real world so in theory, if a Dreamer focused on a known landscape (mountains, streams etc.) and ignored the Blight's effect, they should be able to 'port' there. Shayol Ghul would be a different matter though and I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to port there in the Dream anyway. Who knows what power the DO would have there?

It may be crucial to sealing the bore but the bore is not actually at Shayol Ghul, it is just best perceived there.

or more likely 'port' to right outside it. dreamspikes stop a person at the boundary, used to be traveling to rhuidean would bounce your gate outside the city cloud cover and you couldn't enter it in the dream (did it have a dream spike and the clouds were just a boundary of the moister air inside (the moisture coming from the underground lake)). traveling to far madding gets you to outside the city every time, a person entering the dream while asleep in the stedding may find themselves bounced just outside the stedding in Telrhoid?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know that a stedding cannot be entered in TAR by a dreamer who's sleeping outside the stedding, or by a channeler gating into TAR from outside the stedding.

What we don;t know is, supposing a Dreamer was sleeping inside a stedding, if he/she could enter TAR.

That is, do steddings have their own reflections in TAR, which are shielded from normal WoTland?

Ditto for SG, Blight, Finnland,etc.

This actually makes it more complicated because technically a dreamer does not have to be a channeler, as revealed by the wise ones, it just takes the tralent and training. I believe at one point or another one of the Aes Sedai said that it was not a thing of the power as well. I could be wrong, it has been a while. And as we know, you do not necessarily dream into the place where you fell asleep.......interesting interesting.

Warrior

A few years ago this was discussed in another thread and an RJ quote was posted where he said that a well could be used in a stedding just like Far Madding. Also mentioned was how the Far Madding guardian Ter'angreal mimicked the effects of a stedding. And Mat's medallion was tied into that, as it has the same effect as the guardians, weaves unravel when it comes close enough. There was debate recently as to how Elayne could "study" the medallion with the power when any weave unravels near it.

Archived