68 members have voted

1. 1. Should I skip those chapters?

• Yes, you should skip them given they add nothing to the story
    • No, you should read them because it adds to the story
    • I am a Faile/Perrin storyline hater so my opinion is biased

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you shouldn't skip anything on your first read. There's so much I picked up on in subsequent read-throughs that I missed the first time. Also, you shouldn't skip anything on Faile, she's awesome.

False. She needs to be captured by Fades so they can have fun with her.

Darkfriend!

I was going to say read it, but to be honest, some stuff can be skipped without missing major plot development. You have to be extra careful, though. If you'll just skip anything Perrin (or anything Faile) you might miss important stuff (clues to Demandred? Perrin's role in the Karaethon Cycle?).

Also, cindy, the bible? Really? I hope I don't offend anyone when I say that can really drag on, in some chapters. I was just looking for a particular piece of information in the book of Genesis a few days back, and it was really frustrating :smile:

Oh, and:

on your first time through a book you should never skip, be it WoT or something else.

I was going to say these boards are PG-13, but then I noticed the boldfaced part. I don't know how I missed it the first time around :wink:

Oh, and:

on your first time through a book you should never skip, be it WoT or something else.

I was going to say these boards are PG-13, but then I noticed the boldfaced part. I don't know how I missed it the first time around :wink:

Freud was right...

Have not voted.

There are at least these options::

-just skim through the chapters

-skim then read if you like them

-just read the chapters

-skip the chapters

-read a small portion then base decision on that portion

I generally always read every word/sentence/etc of any story; regardless of which number time through it is for me.

At times I read ahead then return to proper place.

Just because a chapter starts with one character or icon doesn't mean that the whole chapter will deal with those characters. I am rereading Winters Heart right now. (and enjoying it)I found a very important switch at the end of one of the chapters. If I had said, "Oh, this chapter is about ... I'm not going to bother" I would have missed those 3-4 pages of important info.

Also, Encyclopedia WoT can help you make sure you don't miss any PoV's.
For readers that do not mind spoilers, those pages would be helpful.

If I remember correctly, the original poster did not want to be spoiled.

Can it be both tedious and rewarding? I think the point is it would have benefited from being edited about in half, both in time saving and in making the subplot more successful. But you could say that from about everything after Lord of Chaos through Knife of Dreams.

In an attempt to not post a spoiler as an answer i will say that the faile rescue plotline, while somewhat tiresome while it is going on, _does_ matter in the long run.

I skipped it on my first read, but "listened" to it when i did the audio series and have since gone back and re-read it.

I started reading around the time Knife of Dreams was published (maybe just afterwards), and I didn't really have much of an issue with the kidnapping plot. Perrin's chapters were a little slow going and repetitive, I suppose, but if you don't have to wait between books for them to be written/ published, perhaps it's less of an issue than if you do. Personally, I'd say if you've got all the books tohand, go for it and read the plotline.

I always like to think that if the opposite had happened, and Perrin had been taken instead of Faile, the whole business would have been resolved much quicker :P Of course, I know that wouldn't be likely, as all the men with Faile and co. were killed, but, meh.

It needed to take ages in order for Perrin to become in sync with the others. Timeline wise, he couldnt rescue her straight away because it would throw everything else out down the track. And it couldnt simply be skipped like alot of Mats time in Ebou Dar while injured purely because it was important for character development.

Skipping chapters???

I read the series 16 times (of course I started my first reread in 1996, so not all of the rereads included the up to now available number of books) without skipping a single chapter. How can somebody do that???

Skipping chapters is like only eating the meat of a hamburger (if you are no vegetarian, of course).

One book takes only 2 days of reading if you read slowly, there are a total of 13 books (up to now) so its less than a month of reading without skipping chapters. Why should anyone lessen this time of joy by skipping chapters???

Archived