DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The wolves will save Lan

omaleyb

Well, to be fair, neither Jagad nor Bryne have had a chance to show their abilities. The Aes Sedai clearly did not want to fight each other, which meant all Bryne got to do is gather an army. As for Jagad, well we've barely seen him at all, much less him in a battle. Still I'm confident they're named Great Captains for a reason.

The saving of Lan will be a Gandalf/Knights of Rohan/Helm's Deep moment imo. Since Moiraine is WOT's Gandalf and has such history with Lan, I think it would be cool if somehow she ended up being the one standing on a hill with an army at her back saying something akin to "Malkier's king rides alone" :D

Either way, this is hands down the scene I'm looking forward to most in AMOL.

Rand Sedai would be foolish to personally ride to Lan's rescue. Lan's one of my favourite characters, but Dark Rand's diea of using him as a diversion was sound. I think he should stick with this course though consecrate the "ground-forces" in support there and take his A-Team direct to Shayol Ghul to get business done.

Well, to be fair, neither Jagad nor Bryne have had a chance to show their abilities. The Aes Sedai clearly did not want to fight each other, which meant all Bryne got to do is gather an army. As for Jagad, well we've barely seen him at all, much less him in a battle. Still I'm confident they're named Great Captains for a reason.

Really hope we get to see more of Agelmar...

tPoD

Agelmar Jagad could have been a larger version of Easar, a simple, plainly garbed man of steel and stone with more weapons hung about him than Baldhere carried, sudden death waiting to be unleashed... "The Shadow never sleeps," Jagad put in quietly.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to look at who Jordan modeled his Great Captains after, and remember that he was a Southern boy who went to The Citadel.

Gareth Bryne is almost a direct copy of Robert E. Lee. I'd be amazed if he isn't fated to fight in Lee's mold.

Davram Bashere is a cavalryman. J. E. B Stuart anyone? Maybe with a dash of Ghenghis Khan.

Rodel Ituralde, tricky, bold, most recently resolute - maybe Stonewall Jackson, maybe John S. Mosby.

Agelmar Jagad, a Shienaran, who are recognized as the finest heavy cavalry in the land. Probably a better fit for Jackson since Shienar is responsible for holding Tarwin's Gap.

Mat ... he's a pastiche of several including Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Rommel. A master of maneuver and about to introduce the world to the wonders of artillery.

I'd love the first large scale asha'man/Aes Sedai circles in combat here... the Warders can protect both on short range, while the circles(2 men on a woman, men leads because of experience) take down the masses....

To my mind's eye its already looking good...

just the question...would it be the Green Ayah or the Red?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the wolves will do something awesome, they have to after all this build up, but I do not think they will save Lan. I also think it will be the Green Ajah and I also agree that it will be Moiraine leading them. She may not have been in love with Lan but she cared more about him than anybody else, possibly until recently. We are not sure in the timeline when Lan's charge is and I agree the foreshadowing of the Aes Sedai helping is there. The last King of Malkier, arguably the best swordsman in this age, a legend, and a man who by his very presence gathered an army...I don't think Lan is dying yet if at all. Moiraine will save him and Rand will send her and anyone else willing to help.

Might as well go crazy with speculation- Moiraine or Alanna grab the Greens and go searching for Lan. Among them who goes is Rina Hafden. While they are scouting for Lans army(not knowing how far/close is he is to the Gap), they stumble upon a ton of wolves. Rina realizes something is up and goes looking for Elyas and informs him of the situation. He speaks to the wolves, and the Greens led by Mo/Alanna, arrive with an army of wolves and save Lan.

/fanfiction

• 2 weeks later...

Rand refers to Lan twice in ToM; first to Egwene "... a friend rides to his death alone..." and later to Nynaeve, saying he will send help, but not yet. I don't think Rand knows about Perrin's wolfishness directly, so having him send the wolves is not likely.

What is more likely? Malkier is closer to Shayol Gul than any of the other borderland, so my guess is that the main offensive thrust will be made to aid Lan.

The wolves are going there on their own. Rand doesn't have to " send " the wolves and neither does Perrin.

The wolves are all gathering in the Borderlands on their own accord for the final hunt.

This is actually a good theory. I can see it happening. Especially the last moment thing that all war novels/movies love. Lan is about to be run through by a Fade or something, or THE fade and suddenly there is a mass of wolves that totally break through the lines of Trollocs.

Seems plausible.

Not really. Like said above by multiple people, the fighting worth of wolves lies not on the big battlefield, but on the hunt/ picking off enemies one by one.

When wolves take down big prey, they always need to seperate them from the herd first. Otherwise, they don't stand a chance.

My working theory is that the Borderlander armies around Far Madding accepted Rand's offer of Traveling and were sent to Tarwin's Gap. I can see a scenario that places Lan squarely in charge of all four nation's military.

Gadzooks!!! I forgot about them. Yes, that force is clearly in place for a reason, and Lan leading a combined force under the golden crane feels right.

The Borderlanders better not try that slapping stuff with Lan, he doesn't have the patience of Zen Rand.

Not really. Like said above by multiple people, the fighting worth of wolves lies not on the big battlefield, but on the hunt/ picking off enemies one by one.

When wolves take down big prey, they always need to seperate them from the herd first. Otherwise, they don't stand a chance.

As I wrote in a different thread, my guess is the final battle with the Dark one is likely to entail Mat generaling the army in the world of the waking, and Rand and the Grand Wizard of Dream Masters Perrin battling The Dark One in the world of Tel'aran'rhiod. Perrin will clear away the rubble, Rand will stuff his dark butt down the bore, and Perrin will seal him away forever with his light forged hammer. The Dark One and the Light exist in all worlds. Lews Therin failed not only by failing to bring female channelers to the bore, but in trying to seal up The Dark One in one of the worlds of the waking rather than the locus of all worlds, Tel'aran'rhiod. So the wolves are a secondary force in the world of the waking, but they kick ass in Tel'aran'rhiod, and that's where they will appear en mass in the final scene.

dont forget that there was either a prophecy or a vision of Perrin leading a charge with gazillions of wolves behind him. and he is the Wolf King of prophecy so whereever the wolves do their major buttkicking there perrin will be so I dont think the wolves will save lan but he had BETTER BE SAVED!!!!

that is all

Archived