DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your Online Gaming History - UO anyone?

brujah

Just to get to know some of you guys, what online games(and when) have you played.

I played Ultima Online from 1997 to 2001/2002. (Sonoma Server mostly)

Left it for Dark Age of Camelot the day it went live. (Percival Server/ Albion)

Left DAoC for WoW the day it went live. (Gorefiend then to RPPvP Server Emerald Dream)

Havent played WoW(or anything) much this year. WoW FINALLY got old/boring.

I'd just like to say that no online gaming experience compares to Ultima Online back in 1998 1999(Yes im old)

The game was only 2D, but so far ahead of its time. The mage vs mage PvP is still the best PvP of any game EVER imo.(Macros and Scripts ruined it, but that took awhile to develop)

Back then, everything was still fairly new. Most people didnt have broadband. Not everyone was an HTML genius. It was the new frontier for not just gaming, but the online gaming experience itself. That game was the only game where you had to have street smarts or get abused. It was great. MANY fond memories. You could grief other players so bad, which is just great.

Anyone else old enough to have played UO? REALLY played it? Not just spent a few months chopping down trees or killing demons.

• Community Administrator

EQ for years.

got into Wow for awhile

quit, got back into EQ

went back to wow.

Went back to EQ.

went back to Wow

Went to Age of Conan for 2 years. (World first on downing the 'final' boss at the time, on the 'hardest mode' of it.

now I'm in rift.

also re-upped my EQ.

I regret having never played EQ. At a time when I should have long left UO for EQ, I hung around too long, and only left when DAoC came out.

How does UO compare to WoW? I'd say DAoC and WoW were very similar. Was EQ the same way?

EDIT: You'll only like/play RIFT until you've made 20 different variations of all the classes leveled to 15 or 20, then finally level one to MAX. Then it gets boring. 90 percent of my WoW guild left of RIGHT and they all did the same as well. No one stayed after MAX lvl, at least not long.

I regret having never played EQ. At a time when I should have long left UO for EQ, I hung around too long, and only left when DAoC came out.

How does UO compare to WoW? I'd say DAoC and WoW were very similar. Was EQ the same way?

EDIT: You'll only like/play RIFT until you've made 20 different variations of all the classes leveled to 15 or 20, then finally level one to MAX. Then it gets boring. 90 percent of my WoW guild left of RIGHT and they all did the same as well. No one stayed after MAX lvl, at least not long.

Actually no, I still find Rift fun, if anything people leaving were to damned impatient. They are constantly pumping out new content, we already have 3 more end game raid zones since launch.

They are releasing an AA system next patch (couple weeks from now max)

They are making a new dungeon difficulty.

Aka, before they had normals and experts (experts being like Heroics in wow)

now they are making Master modes, which are basically 5 man versions of the older dugneons, with new boss mechanics, and you basically require raid gear to compete in it.

They also, made two new warfronts since launch. The newest one is coming in this next patch.

an LFG system just like wow's.

ect

ect.

And they are only 6 months into the game.

As for EQ, I still find it fun its just a pain with no guild no friends,and trying to find a group with people who have all of that. And really what keeps ANY mmo fun/interesting is the guild/aspect. its no fun stiting around doing nothing for 8 hours cause no one wants to group, even in a guild. A guild at least lets you get groups (well not always) and keeps things goin.

You can actually BUY EQ, and all its prior expansions for $20 on amazon, Via the expansion "House of Thrule".

graphics are a bit out dated,but the way things are going now, leveling isn't going to be a problem with a lil help. ;)

EQ i'm on the nameless server.

Rift, I'm on Byriel.

I started with UO in 1998, then I went to EQ when that went live I believe in 1999. From EQ I went to DAoC and then EQ2. I played City of Heroes and then went back to EQ to fill in time. Then I played WoW for a year, quit that and beta tested Lord of the Rings Online, and went back to WoW for another 3 years. I stopped gaming when I went back to law school full time a year ago. In some ways I miss it, but it is amazing how much of your life a game can take.

My online gaming consisted of MUDs. Web of Destiny, Broken Seals, and Eternity of Discord.

Didn't have the funds to get into the online pay sites. :mad:

Same, mostly just played WoTMUD.

Then a couple years of WoW. In SWToR Beta right now and that's taking most of my time.

As for MMos taking up time, its true,

But so does

bowling night

Going out getting drunk

Parties

Darts

Seeing a Movie, ect.

Its all about where you put your priorities, and its EASY to go OVERBOARD on any one of them, including mmos.

Are you excited for Diablo 3, then?

Also, to the guy in Star Wars Beta: HOW IS IT? I've been thinking of playing that. I'ts probably the only online game Id be willing to play at this point. I'm pretty much done with them, including WoW. But Star Wars looks like it might have so much potential.

I'd DEF play SITH. And just like in WoW, HORDE FOR LIFE. Alliance is for girly men, fairies, and women.

That's why Im such a dork as to have a "Real Men Play Horde" T-shirt.

lol@me

Star Wars Galaxies was my first ever MMO - started it on Day 1 and quit with the NGE. I'd still be playing if not for that....so I'm what they call a SWG Refugee.

Then went to WoW for a bit, and then left to try several other MMOs...none caught me. Warhammer did for a while, but eventually came back to WoW. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the release of The Old Republic.

In Order:

Star Wars Galaxies

World of Warcraft

The Matrix Online

Final Fantasy XI

Lord of the Rings

City of Heroes/Villians

Warhammer

EvE Online

Perpetuum

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars was my first online game. And my first ever MMORPG. I fell in love with it and started my one guild which just turned 6 years old. After doing everything in GW on every character at least twice, I went to Aion for a year and then to Rift for 6 months. I love Aion and Rift is okay. But I can't afford the pay to play games. I have gone back to GW part time to earn one more title in the PvP arena and plan to hold out for GW2!

Guild Wars was my first online game. And my first ever MMORPG. I fell in love with it and started my one guild which just turned 6 years old. After doing everything in GW on every character at least twice, I went to Aion for a year and then to Rift for 6 months. I love Aion and Rift is okay. But I can't afford the pay to play games. I have gone back to GW part time to earn one more title in the PvP arena and plan to hold out for GW2!

I don't see how people say they can't afford $15 a month quite frankly. In most cases it simply means giving up something like...

Don't go to the bar every weekend.

1 less pack of smokes

1 less bottle of booze

Don't buy that one game that month (specially true if you buy multiple games a month) same with movies.

Course if you got kids, thats a whole nother matter entirely, in which case, its becomes not so much about the $$, but the time you can play vs what you invest isn't worth it. ;)

I don't see how people say they can't afford $15 a month quite frankly. In most cases it simply means giving up something like...

1 less pack of smokes

1 less bottle of booze

Don't buy that one game that month (specially true if you buy multiple games a month) same with movies.

Course if you got kids, thats a whole nother matter entirely, in which case, its becomes not so much about the $$, but the time you can play vs what you invest isn't worth it. ;)

But I do have kids, but also, I'm not willing to give up the pack of smokes, the bottle of Canadian Mist, nor the visit to the bar to play pool every week. And while I don't buy a game for myself every month, I probably do buy one for my twelve year old every month. Much more gratifying than paying a monthly fee so that a 12-year old can call me a "noob" every day....

1 less pack of smokes

1 less bottle of booze

But I do have kids, but also, I'm not willing to give up the pack of smokes, the bottle of Canadian Mist, nor the visit to the bar to play pool every week. And while I don't buy a game for myself every month, I probably do buy one for my twelve year old every month. Much more gratifying than paying a monthly fee so that a 12-year old can call me a "noob" every day....

like I said, having kids is an entirely different matter entirely. ;)

Also, I hope your not introducing that 12 year old to fps's, cause, we really don't need more competition. :P

• 2 weeks later...

EQ, back in...when was it? 2002? somewhere around there, kicked ass at that game, used to tank and heal for a group in wall of slaughter when OoW was still new, as a cleric =)

Quit that, didn't play anything for awhile till I decided to try out WoW...that lasted for a couple of years, kicked ass at that too, second team on my server to kill the lich king, but stopped playing while that was still the end game.

And in between that I've been on xboxlive since Halo2 was released. And haven't played Halo nearly as much since 3 and Reach came out, they just don't compare, but I'm pretty big into Call of Duty now, like infinityward > treyarch, by a lot, can't wait for MW3 =)

Archived