DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Earthquake!

poetstorm

Hey, we just experienced an earthquake about 10 minutes ago. (Had to wait for internet to return before posting.) Anyone else feel that? Wow. O-O Just about leaped out of my chair.

I am in Hauppauge, NY on Long Island. I hear it was felt as far west as Ohio and all up and down the Eastern seaboard. Hope everyone in Washington and VA is OK. I believe it started there.

Good here! Thanks Mirsh. :)

just got a bit shaky and things started swaying and rumbling…but it’s all settled now except for my nerves. LOL My adrenaline is through the roof. Earthquakes are freaky. :D

Checked with my family and they’re OK too. My mother in law her the cubicle desks rook across her office. Someone else I know down in Washington said her monitor fell off her desk. Calls are coming in from all over.

Oh man. Me and my friends are all goin to burn for this one lol. One of my friends started a chapter of 'The Buffalo Earthquake Survivors Group'.

We are good here of course. lol It's just really strange having something like this happen. Didn't realize we were near any active faults or anything like that and then find out it happened in Virginia. It was felt all the way up into Toronto.

Really? That’s cool. Though I wouldn’t expect you would get too many quakes up there. :D

If anything this inspired me to get my amateur radio operator license and join RACES. They set up amateur radios in case of emergency. Cell phones were down all over so it illustrated the necessity of HAM radio to me. I’m going to go get the book and start studying for the test soon.

I'm about 30 miles South of DC, so probably 70 miles at most from the epicenter. No damage at all here. We were all outside and my boyfriend's mom got pretty freaked out. But only things that happened in the house was a painting falling from where it was propped on the mantel and some mail falling off a counter.

my mom works in DC (USDA) and is okay. word is the treasury has a crack in it and the epi center is in a place called Lak Anna in Virginia. i've been there, its a nice area, only bad thing is theres a Nuclear Plant there. (about 3 hours south of DC)

as far as my mom knows, thers been no other damage, but the helios are out inspecting the city. i'm glad the beltway and mixing bowl didnt collapse *nods*

So glad to hear reports that mostly all is OK, though it does sound like there may be some minor structural damage.

LOL Millon – I went to the Washington Monument when I was a kid and the thing already had a drunken lean, or at least a stagger. It swayed something awful.

5.9? Bah... Move to Cali. I think 2 years ago they had something like a 7.3... followed by a 6.5... Ok, followed is a little misleading... they were happening at the same time and were like 20 miles apart. :p (My parents suffered through it... I suffered through a few biggies myself.

I hope everything is good with all those out east... and enjoy the adrenaline rush!

Yea, it covered a huge distance. Here in New York City we've had various reactions:

1. In south Brooklyn, where I live with my in-laws, my mother-in-law and I were out walking with my baby and we felt nothing. (Whew!)

2. My husband's workplace in Elmhurst, Queens was evacuated even though he personally felt nothing.

3. My father-in-law's workplace in Chinatown, NYC was shaken and they were evacuated.

4. My mom works at a university in central Brooklyn and they were also evacuated because the bldg was shaken.

5. My sister in northern Brooklyn had her entire bldg swaying.

Crazy. New Yorkers are NOT used to earthquakes. But, like Poet said - we're tough! =D

i work in upstate NY and the building shook.

they have much worse on the west coast, but they build for it. nobody here does. our buildings weren't made to shake. and our nuclear power plants are poorly placed.

but all in all, better than a blizzard, so far.

Checking in from Portsmouth va. Lots of shaking but everything seems ok. Talked to some family in Richmond and they are ok too. I think this thing rocked the entire East coast. Who-hoo! I survived my first earthquake! Do you think I should get a teeshirt for it? Lol

Archived