DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who teaches false dragons to channel?

Kahsm

There were no first channelers. There are no beginnings or endings to the wheel of time. Bwahaha ;)

But there are entire ages where channeling isn't a thing so you could say there are first channelers every few ages

This is true, I was being somewhat glib anyway. My main point there is that it is not proof Moir is wong. Actually, the lack of channelers in an age might just prove she is right. Maybe there are learners and even sparkers, but no teachers to tell them or anyone why they are special. Or maybe just none are born into those ages.

That still begs the question who are the first. All they would need is a reminder of what channeling is. The finns could kick start it. Some instruction from a former age might be found. Someone might be spun out hero-style with a mandate to revive channeling. Could be told in TAR by a hero. Lots of options that don't prove Moir wong.

I think it is worth noting that many (most?) False Dragons cannot channel.

@ Kael Pyralis I believe the "first" channeler (at least conscious channeller was Tamyrlin and I believe RJ also stated that these first channelers had a heavy attrition rate as they taught themselves to channel.

Obviously non-channeling FDs have no bearing on the discusdion, this is not really about FDs at all, but men who channel consciously.

As for leaning by trial and error, I understand that. The question is how did they know to start trying, refer to my previous post for my speculations. Then if you agree with Moir that they needed a hint of what their potential is before you can start, we're back to who helped the male channelers who not only weave consciously, but know some bad-ass stuff.

I always assumed that for the sparkers it was need which lead to them starting to channel (as I believe was mentioned in one of the books), they really needed to heal a friend or a pet or they needed a fire or a lightning bolt to strike someone down. At first they did this essentially unconsciously but eventually they realised that it was because of them that the lightning bolts struck down their enemies, and so they gradually learned to do it consciously although possibly with some sort of block for instance, they may think that in order for the lighting to come down they would need to say abracadabra and make some sort of hand gesture, (as that is what they did when the lightning came) and the man could teach his followers to do the same. Eventually the One Power would end up getting examined more scientifically and the more mystical and superstitious elements of channeling could be abandoned as unnecessary, for instance the hand gestures which many Aes Sedai are taught to make when they do not actually need to.

Does that any make sense at all to anyone aside from myself?

• 7 years later...
Guest pathmage

It's the Pattern. The Pattern keeps throwing up false Dragons to defeat the Dark One. Probability and reason bow to the multiverse's need for the Light to have a champion. 

• 5 months later...

It's important to keep in mind that False Dragons are rare, and most cannot even channel.

In 3000 years, only a handful of False Dragons were remembered as powerful channelers: Guaire Amalasan, Yurian Stonebow, Raolin Darksbane, Davian, Logaine. That is an incredibly small fraction of male sparkers. I do not include Taim in this list, since as a DF, he probably received training from Baalzamon.