DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the foxhead medallion

DigitalSoul

The fireball would unravel when it reaches you but that won't stop you being horribly burnt by the heat, the heat doesn't just vanish when the fireball vanishes.

I think it would stop you from being horribly burnt. As fast as the the fireball moves there wouldn't be any time for it to cause you much damage before it hits you. And once it unravels it's as if there never had been a fireball.

The heat remains though it will quickly vanish its still there to burn. you hold a flame near your hand you can feel the heat, it doesn't have to touch you for the heat to reach you. put your hand above and you can feel the hot air, take it away and you will still get warm air for a short while. in the case of a fireball it will get right up to you before it goes and so the heat will be insanely high before it actually touches and then vanishes.

That's the thing the fireball would only be close enough for a fraction of a second. And just like a candle won't burn you if you flick your finger through it, neither will the fireball in this case. You'll probably feel the heat, but I doubt you would get a serious burn.

Ok about the proximity thing it seems it unravels stuff before it reaches you. Just read the stuff about Nynaeves ter angreal but it may be possible still to create a large enough fire that it will burn you even when outside the range to unravel it.

Well, where there is a will there is a way. A strong enough channeler could trap you in a furnace without getting his weaves close enough to be unraveled while slowly cooking you...

Unless the one who's trapped does the crazy thing which sometimes works and jumps straight into the furnace of his own volition to unravel it before he gets cooked.

We don't get to see what happens in the Cyndane-Alivia fight, but Cadsuane later thinks that Alivia's arm had been "broken as well as seared to the bone." So Lanfear must have figured out some way to make the fire reach Alivia. The ter'angreal set seems to have been left intact since Nynaeve was using it again in CoT.

Unless the one who's trapped does the crazy thing which sometimes works and jumps straight into the furnace of his own volition to unravel it before he gets cooked.

That requires calm thought,something difficult when you are in that situation and even if that was the case, couldn't the channeler move the weave around ?

That requires calm thought,something difficult when you are in that situation and even if that was the case, couldn't the channeler move the weave around ?

well there is still reaction time, and the surprise factor. So it is quite probably that a person leaping into a trap to dispell it will shock and surprise the channeller preventing them from moving it to keep it from beign dispelled

well there is still reaction time, and the surprise factor. So it is quite probably that a person leaping into a trap to dispell it will shock and surprise the channeller preventing them from moving it to keep it from beign dispelled

Oh, I'm not saying that it's flawless , I'm just saying that the chances of the wielder getting out of a situation like that are low (provided that the wielder isn't Mat,of course).

Sorry if it's already been described like this, I don't have the attention span to read the whole thread. >.<

But I've always assumed that the Foxhead protected from any kind of weave that would have hit the wearer. Using Mat's example, it wouldn't work if say, an Aes Sedai used some Air to throw a chair at him, the medalion wouldn't work. Fireballs and whatnot wouldn't work though, because the Fireball literally is a weave. If the weave was used only to shoot the the fireball, it would dissapitate on it's own. Lightning however, would probably work.

It all depends on what your view of the machanics of the weave are, As Terez and you have stated, you believe them to still be active after formation where as I believe them to be inactive after forming the Fireball. We all have our different views, no biggy.

A.

But if the weave for a fireball isn't active after it is created, then what is burning? Fire can't exist all by itself.

Like others told, the medallion protects from direct weaves.

As for which weaves are direct and which weaves are indirect, there is some degree of uncertainty.

These for sure are indirect::

-lightning (Rahvin hunt)

-Gateways, both kinds (Skimming to Caemlyn, Traveling to mid-Altara, trip to near Ebou Dar)

-moving an object with Air (on the way to Ebou Dar)

Direct I would consider to be something that could go inside the person.

Indirect I would consider to be only effecting the outside.

It all depends on what your view of the machanics of the weave are, As Terez and you have stated, you believe them to still be active after formation where as I believe them to be inactive after forming the Fireball. We all have our different views, no biggy.

A.

But if the weave for a fireball isn't active after it is created, then what is burning? Fire can't exist all by itself.

The way I view it is similar to how I view magical fire in the likes of D&D, when it is conjoured it is given enough power to continue to burn for the lenght of time it's creator is wishing for it to be in existance, be a few seconds to a few hours.

A.

A.

The way I view it is similar to how I view magical fire in the likes of D&D, when it is conjoured it is given enough power to continue to burn for the lenght of time it's creator is wishing for it to be in existance, be a few seconds to a few hours.

A.

There is nothing to burn though, on the other hand you could get something that does burn, set it on fire and throw that.

A.

A.

There is nothing to burn though, on the other hand you could get something that does burn, set it on fire and throw that.

Trying to apply real world physics onto a fantasy magic system do have its problems. :biggrin:

Archived