DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

realease date

Entretamis

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To allay all your fears, the world will not end next year. Because of the Mayan number system, the "date of impending doom" is similar to our y2k dilemma. You might have some Mayan computer crashes, but we will get our last wot book

• 2 weeks later...

This is just one more piece of evidence to shore up my theory that RJ and BS are dark friends.

I generally agree with those who think BS should take the time to get it right but I don't know if I can last much longer without looseing pressure in my brain.

• 4 weeks later...

The other question is, will they release the e-book version the same day. Or will we have the farce like we did for ToM? I really hope it's released the same day, to do otherwise would be completely unfair to those who are unable to hold heavy hardbacks.

Well, Tor put out GRRM's ADwD for simultaneous release (it's been June 12 in Australia for 9 hours now... why isn't it in my Kindle yet? :smile:). And unlike the first couple of books in the ASoIaF series, this one's a heavyweight (HBO made sure of that). NYT also made some adjustments to their ranking system since Nov'10, so Harriet might be more inclined to play ball. But we'll have to wait and see; I'm not aware of any promises.

Dunno if this has already been posted, but from Sanderson's Twitter:

So, best case for the book out is March. Worst case is November next year. (Harriet has asked Tor for more time to edit this time.)

So we're looking at March as a best case scenario. We could be waiting a lot longer.

Well, Tor put out GRRM's ADwD for simultaneous release (it's been June 12 in Australia for 9 hours now... why isn't it in my Kindle yet? :smile:). And unlike the first couple of books in the ASoIaF series, this one's a heavyweight (HBO made sure of that). NYT also made some adjustments to their ranking system since Nov'10, so Harriet might be more inclined to play ball. But we'll have to wait and see; I'm not aware of any promises.

Tor isn't GRRM's publisher. It's Bantam-Spectra. And we'll have to see what Harriet wants, it was her decision to hold the publication of the eBook last time. I hope she doesn't do that this time, but it depends on a lot of factors.

Oh, yeah, right. I recall having heard that it was Harriet's decision, but I think you can't be sure with that sort of thing. Unless you're really in the loop (which you well might be but I'm certainly not). Anyhow, my remark regarding the NYT charts still stands.

Also, I said before that once Brandon speculates about a delay it never fails to occurs, and I stand by that as well. Though if he meets his Jan objective I can't see how a Nov release would be editorially necessary.

But, we don't want the errors that were in ToM. The Kindle version was riddled with errors, to the point Little Brown had to revise it and send it out again. So if the editing takes long to correct I am not going to complain, as long as Harriet releases the hard back and e-book on the SAME day. Not 3 months later, that would we terribly unfair and smack in the face to the fans.

Actually, most errors were corrected in time for the Kindle version, if memory serves. I do agree, though. Let them have all the time they need to edit this one properly. The wait will last a year and a half, but the book will remain forever.

Still, it would be naive on my part not to acknowledge that the timing has marketing implications. And as I said, I find it hard to believe it takes more time to edit and produce the book than it takes Brandon to write a first draft.

Also, I'll no longer be in school by Nov next year. That will make it much harder to read the book with the attention it deserves. So you'll understand why I'm rooting for a July release :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Some of us who follow this series and eagerly anticipate the last book are not younglings. It would seriously annoy me to cycle off before I had a chance to read the last book. Boy - talk about reasons for believing in reincarnation!

• 3 weeks later...

Yuck.... I just finished reading books 1-13 for the first time, and now I don't know what to do with myself. I should have paced myself but they were just so good. I am going to go back and start over again to see if I can catch anything. How is the prequel? Is it as good as the rest of the series?

I'm really into characters when I read books, moreso than the integral parts of the plot, so I loved the prequel. It definitely did not fall in line with RJ's usual heavy and elaborate writing style, though, so I can see where it would be thought of as reading like a "kiddie book".

Here's a question for someone more in-the-know about these things than I am. I don't mean to sound critical, and I really appreciate that BS is making the effort to make this perfect. That being said, does anyone know what the actual hold up here is? The story was already outlined, and RJ had made at least some headway in it. I understand that wrapping up a series of this multitude is a complicated process, so someone please tell me - am I being unreasonable, or is this being dragged on a little long?

Here's a question for someone more in-the-know about these things than I am. I don't mean to sound critical, and I really appreciate that BS is making the effort to make this perfect. That being said, does anyone know what the actual hold up here is? The story was already outlined, and RJ had made at least some headway in it. I understand that wrapping up a series of this multitude is a complicated process, so someone please tell me - am I being unreasonable, or is this being dragged on a little long?

Writing is a little more complicated than just putting words on paper. For good quality, it requires polish and editing, something noted to be lacking in TofM, and as a result Harriet asked for the extension to allow for more of an editing period.

RJ would have taken 2+ years for each of these books. Brandon churned the first two out each in one year, and is hoping for one and a half years for the third. That is insanely fast for books this size--insanely fast. I personally wished he'd taken longer, and done more editing and indeed planning (for RJ's outline was no where near as complete as you make out), but meh. The fandom would have exploded in indignant rage if he'd tried.

Writing is a little more complicated than just putting words on paper. For good quality, it requires polish and editing, something noted to be lacking in TofM, and as a result Harriet asked for the extension to allow for more of an editing period.

RJ would have taken 2+ years for each of these books. Brandon churned the first two out each in one year, and is hoping for one and a half years for the third. That is insanely fast for books this size--insanely fast. I personally wished he'd taken longer, and done more editing and indeed planning (for RJ's outline was no where near as complete as you make out), but meh. The fandom would have exploded in indignant rage if he'd tried.

That makes sense. I did notice a certain unfinished quality to ToM, as much as I enjoyed the story. I guess I'm just so eager for them to be out!

Second...so happy he is taking this time for aMoL, TGS and ToM both suffered from the breakneck pace.

Archived