DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

realease date

Entretamis

I've been spending a lot of time on the forums lately, and I get to thinking; there's to much stuff. I would like two more books, one which comes out tomorrow and one which I can wait another week or so for.

But seriously, am I the only one feeling this book is going to be overstuffed with awesome stuff happening and little else, due to lack of room? Awesome needs buildup!

Of course it is... RJ's hundreds of sub-plots and hundreds of characters (many of which were never necessary) have left BS withouth many graceful options to adequately resolve the series in a mere 3 books. Particularly since the final books were never going to be the size of tGH or tSR.

The main thing I think should have been different...I think that the original plans for TOM were chopped off at the end to avoid a cliffhanger ending, and I wanted the cliffhanger. We won't know that for sure until AMOL, but there are a few things that indicate they were going to try to fit the resolution of the Black Tower at the end of TOM, which I get the impression will mostly happen before Merrilor on the part of Pevara, Androl, Logain, and Co. Merrilor was intended to be the cliffhanger, but not exactly in the way it was done (with Rand's dream). Brandon said at one point that the book was supposed to end with a reunion of all major plotlines in one place (he said that in 2009), but he said later it didn't quite make it to that point (which presumably involves Mat's arrival). It could be that they wanted to avoid too much happiness at the ending, but I'm not so sure about the 'it's not going to fit' line. I think it probably had more to do with a deadline, and the cliffhanger having been risky in the first place.

I think they should've delayed ToM and fattened it out with another 150-200 pages that tied off the black tower, Mat and Merrilor -----> and just had 800 pages of pure Tarmon Gaidon in aMoL. :flamingsword:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just her opinion, beyond what she said about the plotlines coming together.

Regardless, can we stay on topic?

I should say that I'm not being confrontational for the sake of it. It irritates me to an almost physical degree when people don't keep these things clear. It's confusing and misleading to readers. I'm trying wherever possible to restore the balance.

Isn't 13 books enough buildup?

I certainly see it as enough.

I love RJs writing style and expect that it will far out live him even if he is the darkone.

The amount of buildup is directly related to the magnitude of the story. Thus, simply stating a number as "enough" would be the deal an absolute about a relative situation.

Just her opinion, beyond what she said about the plotlines coming together.

Regardless, can we stay on topic?

I should say that I'm not being confrontational for the sake of it. It irritates me to an almost physical degree when people don't keep these things clear.

I did make it clear. And I promise, it irritates me just as much when people can't read. (Or can't remember what they've read from one sentence to the next.)

Okay, just so we're all on the same page, Brandon plans to hand in the first draft by Nov 8 this year. After that they will do revisions. The book will not come out before March, and it's highly likely at this point that we'll have to wait until the winter. But it will come out in 2012.

As to the ebook, Brandon is fairly certain its release would be speedier this time, meaning less than 3 months after the hardcover, but at the same time probably not simultaneously.

Does anybody really think BWS can finish 50% of the book by Nov 8? He just hit the 50% mark over the weekend... I'm guessing we'll see this book in Fall of next year at the earliest...

At the latest. That much has been promised.

Archived