DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Books you loved as a kid

JenniferL

What are some books that you enjoyed as a kid? I loved Narnia books, and fairytales. I also loved this series that was about a planet made entirely of mushrooms. A couple of kids build themselves a spaceship and travel there. Its pure 1950's schlock sci fi and I absolutely loved it.

The Saddle Club book series. Most of my friends were reading the Babysitter's Club books, and I read a few too and liked them, but The Saddle Club books were the ones I'd pre-order from the bookstore and wait for.

I was so jealous of those girls for being able to take riding lessons. Since I was a farmgirl, I learned a lot about the horseworld from those books. My horse just knew how to go forward. I wanted to jump fences like they did.

Encyclopedia Brown Series... I really wanted their fort in the junkyard.

A Wrinkle in Time and all the books that followed.

Dean Koontz, my gateway into adult fiction

Of course Tolkien was my gateway into Fantasy

I didn't read as much as a kid. I still don't read a ton now, just what really interests me.

Emp reminded me of "A Wrinkle in Time" and I read some of the Narnia books. I also read this series about a group of kids that solved mysteries, but I can't think of the name. Not the usual ones you think of.

My first ever favourite book was this book called "Dogger", about a boy called Davey who loses his toy Dog called Dogger and he has to find him *gasp*

As I got older I loved the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton until I met a certain Boy called Harry Potter when I was ten. And thus, my life was set ;)

Well, the first book i ever owned was "where's Spot?" I read it once and found Spot. but it made for a very boring re-read!

i loved Encyclopedia Brown and the Boxcar Children, but my favorite was The Prydain Chronicles. I also enjoyed the Girls vs Boys series. I think it was by Naylor...anyway, i loved all of the pranks they'd pull on each other!

David Eddings' Belgariad, LJ Smiths' series, Stephen King, Anne McCaffrey, Dean Koontz, Christopher Pike, Mercedes Lackey... pretty much anything I could pick up. LOL. I read lots of mythology and such as well. I'd read my way through the children and young adults' sections of the library by the time I was 9 or so. After that, I graduated to the regular "adult" fiction. I still remember that I shocked the hell out of my 5th (and 6th, now that I think about it) grade teacher when I dragged all 1100 and some pages of Stephen King's IT in to school with me. :lol:

Being Swedish and all, Astrid Lindgren's books where of course my favourites. Still love them, and read on a regular basis.

Other than that, Narnia, Enid Blyton's Famous Five-novels, W.E Jones Bigglers-novels, the Three Investigators-novels.

And collections of Swedish folklore.

And while not exactly books, always loved Tintin, the Smurfs and Asterix :D

Ah, Which Way? books, I loved those. LOL

My other favorites:

Like Emp, I loved A Wrinkle in Time and the rest of those books.

I loved The Chocolate War, too. I picked it up because of the name, but I really enjoyed the book!

Other than that, I didn't read too much as a kid. Once I hit High School and my best friend put a historical fiction novel in my hand, however, that all changed. I haven't been without a book in my purse (or really close by) since then. My first HF novel, btw, was Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey. *grins* So, I guess you could say the Green was born in High School...[/i]

As a young child, I loved the Hungry Caterpillar! The number of times I read that book are phenonimal!

As I got older, I loved Brian Jacques' Redwall Series. I occasionally read them now as well!

I was also a big fan of Philip Pullman. I can't remember the name of the series, but it contained the books The Tiger in the Well, The Ruby in the Smoke and one other book I can't remember.

I also enjoyed the humour in Terry Dreary's Horrible Histories books, which covered all famous periods of History, mainly in the UK, but also other places.

It was only once I turned 16 or so that I seriously got into reading. And for that, I must blame David Eddings, and his Elenium Trilogy and Tamuli Trilogy. Those were also the books that hooked me on fantasy!

How could I forget The Very Hungry Caterpillar! or The Tiger who Came to Tea. Classic literature right there :P

The Tiger in the Well etc were all about Sally Lockhart ;) In fact a dramatised version of "The Ruby in the Smoke" staring Billie Piper will be shown on the BBC over the winter =D

And Horrible Histories are legendary *nods*

Archived