DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Praise for Brandon

Soraz

I recently got back into the series, after abandoning it when Robert got sick, figuring I'd never know the end of it.

Must say, I really enjoy the new books.

Most of all,

- Far far less Vogue writing; the endless passages about the dresses, in blues and yellows slashed with cream, with lace and pearls on the bodice, which seemed extravagant to describe what would be "Aes Sedai #10" in movie credits.

- Finishing plotlines, instead of starting new ones

- Time seems to flow again. I remember thinking that between book 9 and 10, naught but a week had passed or something.

So, thank you for picking up the mantle.

For the most part, I think Mr Sanderson has done a highly admirable job.

If he would simply:

Stop making people call everyone ''Son''...Stop using ''Tempest'' every other word...Stop having everyone rub their chin...Stop making all the fights with Slayer, in Telen'riod and new villians (Bloodknives, etc) too ''Matrixy'' and cut back on both the ultra-modern wordage that is so jarring and the over-caffienated, slightly cartoonish pace the characters are acting at, while remembering that Forsaken refer to Shai'tan as ''The Great Lord'' and NOT ''The Dark One'' and he'd be about Perfect in MY book.

Now, all that said, NO ONE is ''Perfect.' This is a young writer taking over another man's existing series, working from notes and outlines while being restricted by many constrictions and being told he has to ''Wrap up'' 20 years of plotlines in 2 books while still managing a family, his own career and somehow maintaining as gracious and interactive a career with his fans as any author I have EVER seen...and...I just don't think we can really expect much more.

I appreciate him alot.

- Fish

I, too, think he is doing an excellent job. Hell, excellent isn't sufficient word for what he's doing. It can't be easy 'taking over' something as massive as Wheel of Time. I actually think he seems a bit under appreciated at times. He should receive a lot more praise than I've seen. Fans can be such a pricks sometimes ( with this I mean complaining about the smallest of things. Often giving, at least to me, the feeling that they go through the book just searching for the smallest detail for which to complain. I admit I'm not always above this m'self, either), especially when it comes to something as huge and emotive as this series. He had to step into the shoes of an epic man, writing an epic series, with the most epic plot lines I've ever read. It's not a walk in the park tieing up those plots and making that as magnificiently and in-depth as Brandon has done.

I can't really comment on his style of writing compared to that of Jordan's, because I've read the books 1 to 10 in Finnish. Only WoT Books I've read in English are the ones written by Brandon. Anyhow, I am on my way to fixing this said problem, and just ordered Eye of the World and The Great Hunt in English. xD

I also find his Blog pretty fun to read. And as stated by Fisher King, the interraction with fans is always pleasant.

I have to say I too agree. I think people give him too hard of a time about things. He's done a good job, and he has really picked up the action. Honestly I like him as an author in general. I've read most of his stuff, and WoK especially is amazing.

I think Brandon has done a simply brilliant job and he receives much more praise than he gets. Sure he's missed a few things and forgets a couple of details but we've got to remember that WoT was RJ's world and not Brandon's so it's much more difficult for him to make sure he's got each detail perfect. I cannot even comprehend how he balances WoT, his family and his personal writing career simultaneously afloat. He even managed to publish the absolutely amazing Way of Kings coupled with ToM.

Kudos to you, Brandon!

It can't have been an easy mantle to take up. This is a world very rich in it's history, lands, peoples and mythology. Brandon has said he's a fan and has read them all, but it makes for a difficult job to take up the baton and run to the finishing line with. The fans for the most part are beyond grateful that the series is being finished. Yes some can be picky and will pull at a thread just to prove a point that they know better (or think they do) than the author. But the fact is we ALL love the books, the characters we have grown up with and we are now seeing the battle lines in Tarmon Gai'don being drawn.

Brandon deserves heaps of praise for writing it, and Harriet deserves the praise also for finding the right author to finish the series.

If he would simply:

Stop making people call everyone ''Son''...Stop using ''Tempest'' every other word...Stop having everyone rub their chin...Stop making all the fights with Slayer, in Telen'riod and new villians (Bloodknives, etc) too ''Matrixy'' and cut back on both the ultra-modern wordage that is so jarring and the over-caffienated, slightly cartoonish pace the characters are acting at, while remembering that Forsaken refer to Shai'tan as ''The Great Lord'' and NOT ''The Dark One'' and he'd be about Perfect in MY book.

The last one is the only one that ever even registered with me. I don't recall the FS ever referring to him as the DO before TGS.

I personally loved his fight sequences. They add excitement to an otherwise stagnant area of the series. You can only go so long reading how one sword-form meets another before you realize that you can't visualize it at all. I don't know the sword-forms. Plus, t'a'r is a place where anything you imagine is possible. Certain fights (to avoid TOM spoilers) embrace that.

As for the word choices, I've never noticed the much-hyped-and-griped use of "tempest".

I've nothing but respect for BS and really believe he is not only doing the series justice, but actually improving it in some ways.

I told myself I would not spoil all the good vibrations on this thread. If you all want to feel this way, fine. But then this turned from praise for Brandon (ugh) to criticism of "searching for the tiniest flaws."

Excuse me? I don't give a damn about little inconsistencies, or "she was wearing BLUE fringe, not green", etc. I simply CAN'T READ the text because of the BIG inconsistencies, like all my favorite characters are strangers to me!! :sad: The coolest character in the book, Mat, completely ruined. :angry:

It's like your close friend, that you've known for 20 years, all of a sudden gets a lobotomy and comes back as some weird caricature of the person you knew so well. Man who cares about Firsaken calling the Dark One, or using tempest. This series was all about the *people*, it's the *people* that make it so dear to us, and it's the *people* that Sanderscum changed into strangers. Sanderson, you can go to the Pit of Doom!

I told myself I would not spoil all the good vibrations on this thread. If you all want to feel this way, fine. But then this turned from praise for Brandon (ugh) to criticism of "searching for the tiniest flaws."

Excuse me? I don't give a damn about little inconsistencies, or "she was wearing BLUE fringe, not green", etc. I simply CAN'T READ the text because of the BIG inconsistencies, like all my favorite characters are strangers to me!! :sad: The coolest character in the book, Mat, completely ruined. :angry:

It's like your close friend, that you've known for 20 years, all of a sudden gets a lobotomy and comes back as some weird caricature of the person you knew so well. Man who cares about Firsaken calling the Dark One, or using tempest. This series was all about the *people*, it's the *people* that make it so dear to us, and it's the *people* that Sanderscum changed into strangers. Sanderson, you can go to the Pit of Doom!

Not cool. Outside the bounds, imo.

- Fish

Not cool. Outside the bounds, imo.

- Fish

Very uncool :madmyrddraal:

If you have problems with his writing style or choices thats one thing. But to throw insults at the man who is diligently working to complete a series we all love, who put his life career and family on hold. That is uneeded and uncalled for. also very very uncool.

Completely rude and unnecessary. If you want to criticize and point out perceived faults in the book itself - by all means do so. Personal attacks and posts that do not relate to the plot are out of bounds.

Aside from that - I mostly disagree with your assessment. Other than Mat (who I think most agree is slightly off from Jordan's Mat) I've felt that the "voices" of pretty much all the other characters is pretty much right on. While I would have loved to have RJ finish his own series, I think Brandon has done a commendable and enjoyable job with this difficult task. And, like a couple other people have pointed out, I really appreciate how much he keeps us updated and interacts with the fans.

Brandon, if you're reading this: great job and thanks for bringing us more WoT! I especially like Mat and Perrin's progress.

I also like how you write Mat and Olver because I can relate to them quite a lot.

May I make a suggestion? For the last book, how about getting a little more technical with your knowledge of weaves and the OP? The Forsaken have access to all sorts of interesting weaves beyond the simple creation of fire and lightning. For example, Rand's cone of red lines that passes through walls. I liked what you did with Nynaeve's new healing weave. I just feel that RJ got quite technical about which strands went were to make the weave work and it was a great aid to imagination. I also feel, a little, that battles are now flame wars, when they could be intricate duels of the OP.

Very rude, very uncalled. Do you think personal attacks are fair? The fact the series is being finished is something we should all be incredibly grateful for. I think to be honest you owe an apology to the forum, and Brandon for your well out of order attacks. If you don't like the way it's being written say so, but do it fairly. Say what is wrong, but do it with tact.

I am about 60% of the way through tGS and so far I have enjoyed it, sure a couple of things are touch off, but nothing so drastic as you are painting.

If you have problems with his writing style or choices thats one thing. But to throw insults at the man who is diligently working to complete a series we all love, who put his life career and family on hold. That is uneeded and uncalled for. also very very uncool.

Yeah, you have to feel sorry for this guy who has earned world reknown, and who will probably be financially set for life, as a result of writing the end of a series that many people would give all four limbs just to see the notes for, much less actually have the honour of co-authoring. It's tragic really. The horror this must be doing for his career, and as for his family, it's certain that if he were not earning riches and reknown writing WoT, he'd be spending all his time with his own family and not getting on with that career the poor chap has had to leave aside to do us all this huge favour (although why earning this level of international fame in one's chosen career is a set-back rather than an impressive advancement, is less than clear).

I'd have given at least two limbs to be in his shoes (obviously not my legs then)....

It should be obvious that personal attacks are uncalled for, even if the person on the receiving end is a very fortunate and privileged cookie indeed, and I think if we are all realistic and objective, that we have to acknowledge that being being entrusted with the end writing of WoT, is a privilege, and not some kind of martyrdom.

No one said that it was a martyrdom, just that personal attacks are not necessary. Not everything is about money either.

He is dedicating a lot of time and effort to do a very difficult task. He now stands in the shadow of one of the better authors of all time.

Finishing the Wheel of Time isn't easy, and he's doing a hell of a lot better than most would. Give him a break.

Yeah, you have to feel sorry for this guy who has earned world reknown, and who will probably be financially set for life, as a result of writing the end of a series that many people would give all four limbs just to see the notes for, much less actually have the honour of co-authoring. It's tragic really. The horror this must be doing for his career, and as for his family, it's certain that if he were not earning riches and reknown writing WoT, he'd be spending all his time with his own family and not getting on with that career the poor chap has had to leave aside to do us all this huge favour (although why earning this level of international fame in one's chosen career is a set-back rather than an impressive advancement, is less than clear).

I'd have given at least two limbs to be in his shoes (obviously not my legs then)....

It should be obvious that personal attacks are uncalled for, even if the person on the receiving end is a very fortunate and privileged cookie indeed, and I think if we are all realistic and objective, that we have to acknowledge that being being entrusted with the end writing of WoT, is a privilege, and not some kind of martyrdom.

So I say throwing personal insults at people is wrong and uncalled for. Then you reply by belittling me and making me out to be a fool. wow thanks alot. That is veiled hostility, not funny and also uncool. :madmyrddraal:

The coolest character in the book, Mat, completely ruined. :angry:

Personally I found the slightly altered characterization of Mat quite refreshing. Changing the eternally-whining victim of fate into the trickster character he was always supposed to be makes his scenes much more palatable to me. I always found it weird that the author kept telling us that Mat was this archetypical trickster character but practically never showed him acting like it. Showing him actually making jokes, and showing that maybe a shared sense of humor is part of why his friends are his friends, makes him much more interesting.

Rude? Uncalled for? Apologize? What are you people talking about? I'm not allowed to express my displeasure with the man who is (in my OPINION, obviously) ruining my favorite series? Are you people out of your minds?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You characterize specific criticisms such as (Mat's character changed, Cadsuane's character changed) as "searching for tiny discrepancies" and you've characterized my displeasure with Sanderson as a "personal attack." How is that even possible? I've never even MET the guy.

My "attacks" are all *professional*, not personal. They are based on the product he has delivered to bookshelves as a professional, and dared to associate with the supreme writing of RJ. They have nothing to do with his person. I've never said one thing about his person! I didn't say how lucky he was to write this or anything like that other post.

I'm saying he is a terrible writer and I'm basing that on TGS, the Mistborn trilogy and the book he did, forget the name, begins with an E. That is a *professional attack*, not personal.

So spare me your outrage. I know you're all so happy the series is being finished you jump on any criticism of SanderSCUM but I won't buy all your sanctimonious anger. As a writer, his quality is scum and that's my opinion.

My "attacks" are all *professional*, not personal. They are based on the product he has delivered to bookshelves as a professional, and dared to associate with the supreme writing of RJ. They have nothing to do with his person. I've never said one thing about his person! I didn't say how lucky he was to write this or anything like that other post.

When you call BS "Sanderscum" it has moved from a professional attack to a personal attack. When you add to that that your main criticism* comes from a sequence you think BS messed up, while the fact of the matter is that its is RJ that wrote that sequence. So basically you are hating to hate, because your fantasy of what should happen or would happen with a characters development didn't.

* - main criticism based on the fact that its the only specific one you mentioned

Criticism is fine, but there is such thing as stepping too far. I've found his books I've read to be quite good, and that includes Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker and The Way of Kings, which I found to be by far the best.

These forums are about discussion and you are very well entitled to your opinion. If, however, you find the need to get angry and heated and do as you've done, perhaps you should try the Debating forums. They might be better to your taste.

So I say throwing personal insults at people is wrong and uncalled for. Then you reply by belittling me and making me out to be a fool. wow thanks alot. That is veiled hostility, not funny and also uncool. :madmyrddraal:

If you feel belittled when someone expresses disagreement with something you've said, then I guess you'll encounter a lot of "hostility".

I did not insult or belittle you or anyone else, but lets not pull a veil over the fact that it is just not realistic to try to guilt people into thinking that they owe Sanderson a debt of gratitude, for some kind of selfless sacrifice. That belittles everyone, particularly Sanderson.

Rude? Uncalled for? Apologize? What are you people talking about? I'm not allowed to express my displeasure with the man who is (in my OPINION, obviously) ruining my favorite series? Are you people out of your minds?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You characterize specific criticisms such as (Mat's character changed, Cadsuane's character changed) as "searching for tiny discrepancies" and you've characterized my displeasure with Sanderson as a "personal attack." How is that even possible? I've never even MET the guy.

I'm saying he is a terrible writer and I'm basing that on TGS, the Mistborn trilogy and the book he did, forget the name, begins with an E. That is a *professional attack*, not personal.

So spare me your outrage. I know you're all so happy the series is being finished you jump on any criticism of SanderSCUM but I won't buy all your sanctimonious anger. As a writer, his quality is scum and that's my opinion.

Its this kind of crap that people have a problem with. Name calling is most certainly a personal attack and uncalled for. Calling his writing "scum" is at least directed at his writing but not a useful criticism of why you think it is so bad. You've failed to explain why Brandon deserves such vitriol from you. What didn't you like so much that you have this level of anger? At the very least, Brandon is working extremely hard (read his blog sometime that shows how much time and effort he puts into this project) and is doing his best. So you don't happen to like the way it turns out - that deserves name calling? You think it is OK to call him names because you believe that he is a less talented writer than RJ? Would you really prefer that the story just not get finished? If you do want it finished than you are going to have to deal with someone who you won't believe is as good as RJ (this is an assumption based on the esteem that you seem to hold RJ in).

Here's some useful/valid critisms that I have seen:

- Mat doesn't seem the same. His humor is over-the-top and slapsticky.

- The way the book was split and the timelines overlap makes several scenes anti-climatic.

- Brandon uses too much modern sounding language.

See how these types of things actually address what people see as shortcomings in the books themselves, offer reasons why they feel that way, and don't resort to childish name calling?

Archived