DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Horn??? Really???

NetSlider

That strikes me as an example of them making it up as they go along.

It is interesting to listen to a few interviews JK Rowling did that touch on this sort of thing. Basically, her take on questions about minor inconsistencies in the text, unexplained plot devices, etc. amounts to this: "When I started writing these books, I was just telling a story. I didn't realise that they would be scrutinized and analysed by fans to the degree that they are. So I didn't feel the need to have a predetermined explanation for EVERYTHING."

I suspect the Jordan people would agree.

It is interesting to listen to a few interviews JK Rowling did that touch on this sort of thing. Basically, her take on questions about minor inconsistencies in the text, unexplained plot devices, etc. amounts to this: "When I started writing these books, I was just telling a story. I didn't realise that they would be scrutinized and analysed by fans to the degree that they are. So I didn't feel the need to have a predetermined explanation for EVERYTHING."

That's why Jordan left tags in his notes for things he didn't want put into the books.

That said it was the Age of Legends for a reason where they did Legendary things. They made a giant sphereical building and made it float in the air. They traveled to other worlds and stars and your upset that they also made the Horn?

I'm not upset, if that was directed at me. I always assumed that the Horn was a pre-breaking human relic.

Also, frankly, who exactly made the Horn and why really doesn't matter at all to the plot.

I guess another way of saying this is< "We don't need to over-analyse everything>"

I'm not upset, if that was directed at me. I always assumed that the Horn was a pre-breaking human relic.

Also, frankly, who exactly made the Horn and why really doesn't matter at all to the plot.

I guess another way of saying this is< "We don't need to over-analyse everything>"

So, it's the Bugle from The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie? Does that mean that Steven Tyler is really Moridin in this incarnation? That would explain so much...

So, it's the Bugle from The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie? Does that mean that Steven Tyler is really Moridin in this incarnation? That would explain so much...

Is "Dude Looks Like a Lady" an ode to Aran'gar?

Maybe. What was the hideous screeching (sounding, only vaguely, like the Star Spangled Banner) that Tyler subjected us to at the Bruin's home opener?

I see a lot of Tyler's fans here :). The Horn, according to the interview, was made before the AoL. Not clearly in the age before or earlier, but before AoL. Maybe at the beginning of the cycle. Maybe the making of the Horn indicates the new cycle of 7?

Yeah I had seen booksigning quote on 13th Depository where RJ said it was not a ter'angreal because it does not use the OP and it pre-dated the AoL. Something about the AS in AoL never blew it either, and didn't really believe in it. I'll look for the link and edit to post it when I find it.

Edit: Sorry it was a Tor question of the week. Horn of Valere at the 13th Depository

In a book on writing by Stephen King he says he never uses plot to write his stories. He says the story and plot points are discovered as he writes. It's almost like reading the book and wondering what's going to happen next.

In a book on writing by Stephen King he says he never uses plot to write his stories. He says the story and plot points are discovered as he writes. It's almost like reading the book and wondering what's going to happen next.

Which is precisely why I can't stand his books. I gave him a second chance and read 'The Dome', but that may have made me dislike his writing even more...

Anyways, this news makes perfect sense, a horn is a musical instrument created by humans. A magical horn still needs to be designed by humans.

Maybe. What was the hideous screeching (sounding, only vaguely, like the Star Spangled Banner) that Tyler subjected us to at the Bruin's home opener?

Perhaps saidin seized him.

Anyways, this news makes perfect sense, a horn is a musical instrument created by humans. A magical horn still needs to be designed by humans.

I have no problem with it being man-made. Especially if in a long-forgotten age with knowledge of such things.

But "made to call musicians"!?

That is terrible...

I have no problem with it being man-made. Especially if in a long-forgotten age with knowledge of such things.

That is terrible...

Ehh, personally I think the Horn calls whomever the Pattern wishes it to call.

That is terrible...

Ehh, personally I think the Horn calls whomever the Pattern wishes it to call.

Fair enough...I could go with that.

I have had this theory about the horn for a long time...

That the horn is recycled lends credence to it.

The AS of AoL didn't really understand how the horn worked but they had worked out some knowledge of how the horn was populated. It was with this knowledge that Brigit is ripped out of the dream world. I believe that the FS (can't remember the name (a mortal sin I know since I have read that sequence 8 times)) knew (at least suspected) the manner of weave to add and had worked out what would need to be done in Tel to reverse the process of addition of souls to the queue. All the wonder girls have to do is beat Nyn until she remembers what she saw and she and Eggy should be able to work out the reverse weave. Probably something similar to what Eggy did to enter in the flesh.

well, my thought is that if it calls the musicians then it's related to the song....maybe it called the Nym and the Aiel to the planting (bk4), which seems to be the powerful thing that was happening at the time.

The world before the breaking was a peaceful hippy commune, where people, plants and animals lived peacefully as one and the powerful thing was the singing of songs :) I dont know what the aes sedai were doing, maybe they channelled power into the Sahrom (silver floaty thing that broke) and it kept the world on an even keel.....just like a hippy commune....it was peace and love man, ying and yang, male and female, all balanced out til the breaking :)

I do think the Song thing is a key to the ending though.....

what is this, Soviet Russia?

Actually the first post reminded me of a short story by Stephen King... a couple on vacation gets lost and find themselves in a town populated almost entirely by dead musicians. Can't remember the name of it though.

I do think in general alot of people over analyse things, to the point where they loose all meaning and are reduced to catch phrase cliches.

Why would the Creator who has so far been hands off suddenly be leaving behind trinkets for us humans to use? If he did do that, why suddenly stop helping? It is in "his" best interest for his continued existance to keep the DO bottled up. Therefore all the toys and trinkets that Rand and Co are human made no matter how mysterious they are. Yes I indclue the Portal stones in that as well.

what is this, Soviet Russia?

Actually the first post reminded me of a short story by Stephen King... a couple on vacation gets lost and find themselves in a town populated almost entirely by dead musicians. Can't remember the name of it though.

Stephen King's "You Know They Got A Hell of a Band" appeared in 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes'. Link to Wiki for story

Archived