DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Callandor

Luckers

I'm thinking it was to be Aviendha or Moraine that Rand and Nynaeve create the circle with. I'm not sure on the ebony hand, that one is a bit of a mystery to me but Shaidar Haran seems a little unlikely. I'm not sure we will ever see Shaidar Haran confront Rand. I don't get the feel that he has that role to play and more of a support role (if by support you include watching and punishing the Chosen who are bad boys and girls).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one thing to remember about Callandor is that as much as it's a sa'angreal (and I think someone else pointed this out above), being a sa'angreal may not be it's primary purpose. Did Callandor exist before it was a sa'angreal (i.e. who made it, and why)? On that line, why was Callandor made? Where did it come from. It's possible it's primary purpose is to be a sword first, sa'angreal second. I don't think it's really flawed, however. I think (as most likely do), that the "flaw" they mention was intentional in its design.

Here:

Knife of Dreams tour 28 October 2005 - Jason Wolfbrother reporting

JWB: Was Callandor constructed during the War of Power?

RJ: Yes.

JWB: Was it used in the War of Power?

RJ: Yes, that is how the flaw was discovered.

JWB: Why didn't they ward/buffer Callandor?

RJ: The flaw with Callandor is simply a manufacturing flaw. (He went on to talk about how they were at the end of their tech age with only a few sho-wings and jo-cars left. A couple of shocklances were still around but they were not as prevalent as they had been. Anyway they had been mass producing ter'angreal, angreal, and sa'angreal, and there are bound to be flaws with the products. The flaw with Callandor is simply one such flaw.)

Doesn't Narishma have ebony skin?

No, he doesn't:

Jahar Narishma, whom Taim had pointed out, the young man with the spark, had dark eye's as big as a girl's, a pale face filled with confidence, and hair in two long braids with sliver bells at the end.

So he's Johnny Depp from Pirates of the Caribbean?

< picky> It's actually onyx, not ebony, that Min sees. Ch51. < /picky>

Perhaps the black metal from the male A'dam

Or Morri or a ter'angreal who replace hand

I find it interesting that onyx is a black rock. There are quite a few instances of black stone/rocks around, such as the BT podium, or the rocks of SG. Not sure yet if that's significant.

PS: Thinking Skytail :biggrin:, I looked up 'silver hand' and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetl%C3%A1m

Nuada, aka Nodens, Lludd, lost an arm in combat but had it replaced by a working silver one. Interestingly, he was king of the Tuatha Dé Danaan, 'peoples of the goddess Danu', who seem to be equivalent to the HotH, being represented in Irish mythology as as mortal kings, queens and heroes of the distant past :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann

I find it interesting that onyx is a black rock. There are quite a few instances of black stone/rocks around, such as the BT podium, or the rocks of SG. Not sure yet if that's significant.

Nuada, aka Nodens, Lludd, lost an arm in combat but had it replaced by a working silver one. Interestingly, he was king of the Tuatha Dé Danaan, 'peoples of the goddess Danu', who seem to be equivalent to the HotH, being represented in Irish mythology as as mortal kings, queens and heroes of the distant past :

And he's king of the Tuatha! Tuatha -> Tuathan -> Tuatha'an -> Aiel -> People of the Dragon.

Another theory is born..

I've never put those two together, interesting.

Perhaps the reason why Callandor requires two women to link with the man (and have a women directing the flows) is to create a synergy between the two halves of the OP. We know the bore was not sealed fully due to only the male half of the power being used. Maybe Callandor is the bridge between the two halves.

Also I still think the lack of a buffer will allow Rand (with Nyn and Alivia) to literally draw upon ALL of the OP. Either making it impossible for others to channel, or using it to completely seal the bore (perhaps destroying the One Power in the process).

Not sure though if Rand is powerful enough to take in that much power though.

It doesn't seem like it would be very wise to draw up ALL of the OP though, even if you could. I'm sure there will be other channelers of the light fighting on fronts and battles across TG, and leaving them deprived of power could be the difference between winning and losing. We don't know that the dark one wouldn't simply allow more access to the TP and enable dark channelers to rip the powerless armies of the Light to shreds

And he's king of the Tuatha! Tuatha -> Tuathan -> Tuatha'an -> Aiel -> People of the Dragon.

Another theory is born..

With an other hand do you think he will return as blade master he was ? second only to lan ?

Isn't there a theory that the TP is to be used through Callandor instead of the OP?

Yes, this is a theory that doesn't really fly with most people, but I like it. =)

Personally, I've always thought that Rand would link with Alivia and Moridin (by the way, this is all at Shayol Ghul) since the "three shall be one" prophecy, because Alivia is supposed to help Rand die and Moridin can channel the TP. However, now that we know Nynaeve is going with Rand, I'm not near as sure... Someone posted a theory about how Moridin and Cyndane and Moghedian would be pulled into the circle, which could work for me if Alivia and Nynaeve are with Rand already, although I always liked the 3 people vs. the Dark One type ending. Meh :/

Anyways, I think that Alivia has got to at least be there, and then the "into the heart he thrusts the sword, and the one who draws it out shall follow after" will be fulfilled (I personally don't think that thrusting callandor into the stone fulfilled this, but that's my opinion, and I haven't bothered to look up any interviews to see if he has dubunked this...) by Alivia perhaps helping Rand kill himself (maybe after a little body swap action later resulting in some dark haired babies for Avi?, but hey, who knows?) and then Logain will pull it out and yeah... Obviously this isn't going to be exactly what happens as I kinda have a lot of "it could go this way, or that way" type stuff in this post.

Also with the killing himself, we get that "and all he is is is up for the taking" (REALLY paraphrased that one, don't have the book on me and I can't remember the exact wording...) bit from ToM where he perhaps lets the DO come inside him somehow or some other crazy thang and then stabs himself and body switches.

Thanks for reading my ramble, and sorry about paraphrasing all the prophecies, I hope I got the wording right on most of them (besides the last one xD).

edited for clarity... didn't help much o.O

Here's my bits.

The problem I have most with Callandor is that it is assumed to be a type of angreal. When using an angreal, the wielder must draw power through the angreal. The angreal only allows them to draw a limited amount of the POWER through it, and stops them. Like when you have a bottle of water, you want more than you already have, you grab a bottle, and it adds to your amount.

If there is no limit to the amount of water you can take safely before you drown, this would suggest that there is no limit to the amount of water you can take. You could theoretically take everything.

Min believes there is a bigger flaw in Callandor than this notion. That is also magnifies the taint. One of the conclusion we've come up with is that it could also be conduit for the TP.

Add this to your thoughts. If the Moridin connection to Rand happens while Rand is trying to seize saidin, what if while Rand is channeling through Callandor, with the two woman he chooses, and Moridin tries to seize control of Callandor?

But back to my earlier thoughts. Now if it is true Callador has no buffer for a reason, to be able to suck up all possible Power that can be wielded [everything], could not the same be said of TP?

Could not Callandor be a new prison for the DO?

Light is held before the maw of infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The blade will bind him by twain.

So Rand holds Callandor out and uses it try to seal the DO inside it.

If the TP is directly connected to the DO, could not the OP be considered a parallel to the Creator?

What about Min's veiwing of an Ebony fist holding Callandor? Is there some hidden meaning there?

And Moridin [the ebony hand] uses Callandor to suck up all of Rand, the Pattern or the Creator? Or maybe he uses the TP, has he seems unable NOT to use, and THAT sucks up the DO?

Just some thoughts.

* oh just as to the two woman who wield with Rand, I think Egwene will DEMAND to be one of them. I know Rand already said Nynaeve might be one, but I like the idea of Tuon. Wouldn't this fulfill the Prophecy(s) of him bending to the Empress and her being bound to him?

Here's my bits.

The problem I have most with Callandor is that it is assumed to be a type of angreal. When using an angreal, the wielder must draw power through the angreal. The angreal only allows them to draw a limited amount of the POWER through it, and stops them. Like when you have a bottle of water, you want more than you already have, you grab a bottle, and it adds to your amount.

If there is no limit to the amount of water you can take safely before you drown, this would suggest that there is no limit to the amount of water you can take. You could theoretically take everything.

Min believes there is a bigger flaw in Callandor than this notion. That is also magnifies the taint. One of the conclusion we've come up with is that it could also be conduit for the TP.

Add this to your thoughts. If the Moridin connection to Rand happens while Rand is trying to seize saidin, what if while Rand is channeling through Callandor, with the two woman he chooses, and Moridin tries to seize control of Callandor?

But back to my earlier thoughts. Now if it is true Callador has no buffer for a reason, to be able to suck up all possible Power that can be wielded [everything], could not the same be said of TP?

Light is held before the maw of infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

If the TP is directly connected to the DO, could not the OP be considered a parallel to the Creator?

What about Min's veiwing of an Ebony fist holding Callandor? Is there some hidden meaning there?

And Moridin [the ebony hand] uses Callandor to suck up all of Rand, the Pattern or the Creator? Or maybe he uses the TP, has he seems unable NOT to use, and THAT sucks up the DO?

Just some thoughts.

* oh just as to the two woman who wield with Rand, I think Egwene will DEMAND to be one of them. I know Rand already said Nynaeve might be one, but I like the idea of Tuon. Wouldn't this fulfill the Prophecy(s) of him bending to the Empress and her being bound to him?

That is exactly what I have been saying/thinking! You just did a much better job at it hahaha.

I totaly think Callandor will be used to draw upon everything, however I never thought about it being used as a prison...very cool idea.

Here's my bits.

Just some thoughts.

That is exactly what I have been saying/thinking! You just did a much better job at it hahaha.

I totaly think Callandor will be used to draw upon everything, however I never thought about it being used as a prison...very cool idea.

So thats why Callandor needs women to be properly used? To have both halves of the Source therefore the full use of the "Creator" against the DO. Makes more sense then any other of the weird theories.

Here's my bits.

Just some thoughts.

1)Buffer is placed on Angreal/Sa'angreal to ensure that the person wielding it doesn't turn into crispy chicken.

2)You don't draw one power through items of power. You draw power through your body. Consider X to be amount of power you can channel. Now an angreal puts an extra Y to it (X+Y). This is maximum amount of power you can draw using that particular angreal. Drawing more will result in burnout or death. Buffer stops you from crossing X+Y limit.

3) Angreal doesn't store power. It only works as long as you are channeling.

4) DO is source of TP but not TP itself. You cannot suck up DO.

5) OP is not for creator as TP is for DO.

Here's my bits.

Just some thoughts.

1)Buffer is placed on Angreal/Sa'angreal to ensure that the person wielding it doesn't turn into crispy chicken.

2)You don't draw one power through items of power. You draw power through your body. Consider X to be amount of power you can channel. Now an angreal puts an extra Y to it (X+Y). This is maximum amount of power you can draw using that particular angreal. Drawing more will result in burnout or death. Buffer stops you from crossing X+Y limit.

Geez its a theory, let it be..

Here's my bits.

Just some thoughts.

Geez its a theory, let it be..

I wonder how many people are posting with different names...So yes, a theory is posted here so that we can let it be..and yet you agree with it?

Archived