DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Callandor

Luckers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if Rand will let either Elayne or Avi have a look at it. Though Avi would have a problem due to the shape of the blasted thing.

I wonder how much the fact that Callandor is a blade and Avi being gifted in guessing the abilities of ter'angreal is a coincidence .

What if Callandor isn't meant to be a power amplifier? What if the aspect of being able to pull more power isn't what makes Callandor amazing?

Facts about angreal and sa'angreal:

1. They allow a channeler of the appropriate gender to pull more of the One Power. A lot more (usually the minimum magnitude is a doubling).

2. They have a buffer to protect against pulling too much (except for Callandor).

3. Using an angreal or sa'angreal is more tiring than channeling normally.

What if Fact 3 is a result of Facts 1 or 2. What if pulling more of the One Power (or pushing against the buffer) is what is more tiring.

Then Callandor's lack of buffer could be a way to encourage a user to not pull much more than they normally use, but to allow them to use as much as normal but with less stress?

Think of pulling too much as a frozen lake. A buffer would be marking off the distance onto the lake that can't support human weight. Callandor would have no such markings, so it is foolish to go onto the lake at all.

The thing about linking to make it safe makes sense because linking has its own "buffer" (but again, it is extra tiring).

As seen in A Storm of Light, Rand is super bad ass without an angreal or sa'angreal, but what he really needs is stamina. Maybe that is what Callandor is, a way for the Dragon to be "Super Dragon" without wiping himself out.

I have no evidence to support this argument. Just the meta-argument that Rand doesn't need higher voltage, just a longer battery life.

I also like to think of the OP in terms of electricity, has a certain elegance to the analogy. So starting from V=IR, V is the strength of the individual wielder of the OP, I is the amount of power being drawn, and R is the 'resistance' to the flow of the OP through a medium, in the standard case it would be the human body.

So then if V1=I1R1 but you take R and V as constants then I tells you the exact amount of the OP an individual can safely wield unaided. So how large your V is determines your I, potential determines flow. I like to think of it like this because if you draw to much current through a wire or circuit, it gets to hot and eventually burns out. Similar to how you can draw to much of the OP but it either kills you or burns you out.

I always though of sa'angreal more along the lines of providing an external medium that you draw the OP through that has a lower 'resistance' or is better able to 'dissipate the heat'. The the two really large sa'angreal, Choedan Kal went more for heat dissipation with their size, Callandor is just a really good conductor.

Anyways, I was thinking that the lack of a buffer and the requirement of two female aes sedai is intended to draw the DO into a direct conflict with both Saidar and Saidin at the same time, as opposed to just Saidin in the AOL. I think of Saidin and Saidar as two AC power sources that are 90* out of phase with one another, but when added together they form a vector that is equal in magnitude but 180* out of phase with the True Power or the DO vector. When it was just male channelers trying to seal the breach the magnitude of the DO's power caused Saidin to go out of phase, leading to the whole madness thing.

Callandor will act as the conduit between Saidin/Saidar and the DO as both are drawn into an escalating battle that the DO can't win on 'this side' of the pattern, because the DO is still technically imprisoned there are restrictions ie. can only get a finger or a hand through the breach. As the DO expends more power and is forced to retreat, the presence of Rand's ta'avern and massive quantities of Saidin and Saidar combine to 'regrow' or 'heal' the pattern as opposed to simply patching it.

Wonder if Rand will let either Elayne or Avi have a look at it. Though Avi would have a problem due to the shape of the blasted thing.

I wonder how much the fact that Callandor is a blade and Avi being gifted in guessing the abilities of ter'angreal is a coincidence .

Knowing Robert Jordan? I'd say none of it.

My theory is that Rand's proclamation to the whole world that he is going to break the seals is a ruse just to get them to unite for something, even if it against him, for the moment.

'He will break what must be broken" refers to Callandor and not the seals. He will break them at the right time, but it is in the breaking of Callandor that the Dark One will be defeated, perhaps when he himself indwells the sword through the flaw inside of it.

My hunch is that Callandor has a much bigger role to play than just a suped up sa'angrael at the Last Battle. The Dark One will guess that that is what Rand will try and will make himself present in the flaw within the sword, waiting for Rand and two of the most powerful women to use the sword, and then either take them captive, turn them to the dark, or destroy them. Likely one of the second two options. However, when the Dark One tries this, Rand will break Callandor and temporarily cast the Dark One from the pattern. This will set the stage for the seed-singing closure of the bore.

So, I had a thought after reading that is probably a fairly wild theory (ie I have not done any research to back it up), but I thought I might share.

Min thinks there is another flaw with Callandor, above and beyond what we already know. So far, everyone seems to think it is a problem *within* Callandor itself, but what if the flaw refers to the people wielding it rather than the sword itself? What if the problem is that flaws are <i>necessary</i>?

Rand has already said that he plans on having Nynaeve link with him, and someone else who is strong in the power. But what if the instability occurs when the women who link with the man are powerful, or maybe when their strength is imbalanced?

Moiraine has come out of the ToG considerably reduced in her ability to use the power. Kind of coincidental, wouldn't you say, that she is reduced in the power in much the same way as her childhood best friend was in being stilled and then healed by a woman?

We know that Moiraine is vital. Perhaps she is vital because she needs to be one of the ones who works Callandor with Rand, and not just because he trusts her, but because she's weaker now. And so is her childhood friend, Siuan Sanche, who Rand does not know and trust but could do if Moiraine spoke for her.

Maybe I'm crazy. I probably am. But it would be a nice bookend to New Spring, wouldn't it? These two women who searched their whole lives for the Dragon Reborn?

I think she'd see the difference between someone with black skin and true ebony. :) Also, Narishma is from Westlands proper. No one there is black. The Seafolk are dark-skinned, and Sharans and some Seanchan (like Tuon) are as well.

What about Min's veiwing of an Ebony fist holding Callandor? Is there some hidden meaning there?

Doesn't Narishma have ebony skin?

No, he doesn't:

Jahar Narishma, whom Taim had pointed out, the young man with the spark, had dark eye's as big as a girl's, a pale face filled with confidence, and hair in two long braids with sliver bells at the end.

Guest jasperflint

Shaidar Haran's hand is ebony.

Ha, brilliant plan.

Shaidar Haran is given the sword by alivia, stabs rand with it. rand then with contact with it uses it to draw too much of shaidar haran into it and then something cool happens... (yeah i definitely shouldn't write the end.) That might be part of it though

I think the flaw and ebony fist refers to the link between Rand and Moridin. I picture Rand+Nyn+Avi in a circle and somehow Moridin uses the true power conduit/balefire link that has grown between he and Rand to jump into the circle with Moghedien and Cyndane linked to himself. As they are mindtrapped he can reasonably feel confident controlling them and thematically we get Nyn-Mog, Rand-Moridin, and Avi-Cyndane Lanfear.

I haven't seen others post this but I always assumed the 2 women Rand will link with to use Callandor is Nyn and Alivia(?).

On the otherhand, I always thought it would be Nynaeve and Mierin.

I haven't seen much forum support for her redemption, but I personally think she will always have a weakness for LTT. Especially the new compassionate whole version of him.

What about Min's veiwing of an Ebony fist holding Callandor? Is there some hidden meaning there?

Maybe that is a hand made from the OP, perhaps a new hand for Rand?

Also maybe the lack of a buffer on Callandor will allow Rand to take in everything. Let him hold onto every ounce of the OP. Not sure if that's possible or not.

Also maybe the lack of a buffer on Callandor will allow Rand to take in everything. Let him hold onto every ounce of the OP. Not sure if that's possible or not.

Would that be referred to as a Wormtail or a Skywalker?

hahahahah I believe the correct term would be a Wormwalker.

I think it makes sense though, Rand has access to Elayne who can make Ter'angreal, so whats from keeper her from making him a hand out of ebony?

hahahahah I believe the correct term would be a Wormwalker.

I think it makes sense though, Rand has access to Elayne who can make Ter'angreal, so whats from keeper her from making him a hand out of ebony?

Bam! Done, a Wormwalker. Brilliant!

No, he doesn't:

Jahar Narishma, whom Taim had pointed out, the young man with the spark, had dark eye's as big as a girl's, a pale face filled with confidence, and hair in two long braids with sliver bells at the end.

Ah, thanks. For some reason, I always picture him with darker skin (if not quite as dark as the Seanchan).

I think one thing to remember about Callandor is that as much as it's a sa'angreal (and I think someone else pointed this out above), being a sa'angreal may not be it's primary purpose. Did Callandor exist before it was a sa'angreal (i.e. who made it, and why)? On that line, why was Callandor made? Where did it come from. It's possible it's primary purpose is to be a sword first, sa'angreal second. I don't think it's really flawed, however. I think (as most likely do), that the "flaw" they mention was intentional in its design.

I also think it's interesting that Callandor takes a man and two women to properly use, and the male a'dam has two leashes on it. Especially since they mention that the male a'dam is different in many ways, more sinister feeling, black, old (there was one in Tanchico (that I think they say was the only one ever made) that the Seanchan then (as I remember it) copied when they got it). Not saying there's necessarily a link between the two, or even that they'll be used together, but I think that is an interesting enough coincidence that it could be of some import. Perhaps Callandor will have to be used with the male a'dam (i.e. Rand will have to give up control to someone he trusts), or perhaps the male a'dam was originally made with the intent of the Shadow being able to control the Dragon while he uses Callandor... or perhaps it's just coincidence. Time will have to tell. Either way, we know that Callandor is important, and probably not just for being a sa'angreal.

No, he doesn't:

Ah, thanks. For some reason, I always picture him with darker skin (if not quite as dark as the Seanchan).

I think one thing to remember about Callandor is that as much as it's a sa'angreal (and I think someone else pointed this out above), being a sa'angreal may not be it's primary purpose. Did Callandor exist before it was a sa'angreal (i.e. who made it, and why)? On that line, why was Callandor made? Where did it come from. It's possible it's primary purpose is to be a sword first, sa'angreal second. I don't think it's really flawed, however. I think (as most likely do), that the "flaw" they mention was intentional in its design.

I also think it's interesting that Callandor takes a man and two women to properly use, and the male a'dam has two leashes on it. Especially since they mention that the male a'dam is different in many ways, more sinister feeling, black, old (there was one in Tanchico (that I think they say was the only one ever made) that the Seanchan then (as I remember it) copied when they got it). Not saying there's necessarily a link between the two, or even that they'll be used together, but I think that is an interesting enough coincidence that it could be of some import. Perhaps Callandor will have to be used with the male a'dam (i.e. Rand will have to give up control to someone he trusts), or perhaps the male a'dam was originally made with the intent of the Shadow being able to control the Dragon while he uses Callandor... or perhaps it's just coincidence. Time will have to tell. Either way, we know that Callandor is important, and probably not just for being a sa'angreal.

I've never put those two together, interesting.

Perhaps the reason why Callandor requires two women to link with the man (and have a women directing the flows) is to create a synergy between the two halves of the OP. We know the bore was not sealed fully due to only the male half of the power being used. Maybe Callandor is the bridge between the two halves.

Also I still think the lack of a buffer will allow Rand (with Nyn and Alivia) to literally draw upon ALL of the OP. Either making it impossible for others to channel, or using it to completely seal the bore (perhaps destroying the One Power in the process).

Not sure though if Rand is powerful enough to take in that much power though.

Archived