DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Finni's Q&A

dreago

Actually I think that was two of his questions...specifically, he asked "How can I win the Last Battle?" (KoD page 395). And I can't remember where, but I'm sure the "to live you must die" thing came from his asking how to survive the Last Battle. I don't know what the third question was.

Actually, I think that one of the questions was how to clean Saidin, and the other one was how to win the last battle and survive. I'm not sure what the last one was, or even if it was ever revealed in the books.

The answer to the Saidin question was a riddle shared with Herid Fel, who told him that it was sound in theory (or something similar). He shares the theory with Dashiva, Narishma, Torval, Mor and Hopwil in a Path of Daggers, or at least his belief that he can cleanse Saidin.

The answer to the second one is, of course, "The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cwestervelt

I thought it was Asmodean that he shared the answer to the riddle with about cleansing Saidin with. I know the talked about if it would be possible or not.

We don't get more than that he was told how to do it in a place where the answers are always true. Enough to tell us where the answer came from, but neither the actually question or the answer.

It's possible he also got a practical answer on use of the power there, as well as a teacher.

I've been re-reading the series for what must be the 20th time, and I noticed that he lights up the ball of flame after Mat asks him if he got the answers that he wanted. Convenient timing, made my eyebrows jump a little.

Yes, you are right of course...I don't think the third question has been revealed (unless those are the three - they are three separate questions in my mind, but perhaps the finns weren't too picky and they were in a panic after all).

The "and survive" is a qualifier to the rest of the question. If he had only asked "How can I win Tarmon Gai'don?" they could have told him a way in which he did not survive.

That said, they did answer four questions for Mat because it had been so long since they last had the "savor".

Quote: The answer to the second one is, of course, "The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die." MetalMonkeyMood.

I believe that that is in the prophecies, as Rand keeps his answers to himself and those he fully trusts. The reason that I say this is that in one of the later books; he tells someone that he thought that it meant that he had to take over the land. Now Rand tried to make peace with the Seanchan as they control about half of the land, with Rand controlling the other half. That way the 2north and east are one and the west and south are one, and they are both as one.

Yes, but why would you? Do you really think that RJ will be that cheesy with Rand's destiny? It doesn't matter whether the Finns would be that vague and general and, well,...lame..with their answer; I don't see how RJ would be that lame, not with something major like Rand's death. I mean, we're not talking about Asmodean here. Surely, he wouldn't shortchange us with Rand. Light, I first started to reply thinking that your post was way off track, and now, I'm kind of frightened.

Is it at all possible to interpret:

If you would live, you must die.

As to live again in the next age or be bound to the horn, than he must die in this age, probably in TG?

~Werel Wolf

~Tim S.

It is possible. Would you consider that "surviving" though?

It is just as possible that "you must die" means people must believe he has.

Given the volume of prophecy that indicates people believing Rand to be dead while he still lives, I believe the latter to be true.

Just for a complete summarized answer to the topic question:

Rand

One question was how to cleanse saidin.

The answer was a riddle that Herid Fel says "stated sound principles in both high philosophy and natural philosophy."

"How can I win the Last Battle and survive?"

"The north and the east must be as one. The west and the south must be as one. The two must be as one. If you would live, you must die."

The third question and answer are unknown. The Aelfinn did not mention Rhuidean to him.

And for bonus points here is Mat's

"Should I go home to my people?"

"You must go to Rhuidean."

"Why should I?"

"If you do not go to Rhuidean you will die."

"Why?"

"You will have sidestepped the thread of fate, left your fate to drift on the winds of time, and you will be killed by those who do not want that fate fulfilled."

When Mat demands to know his fate, the Aelfinn continue, "To marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons! To die and live again, and live once more a part of what was! To give up half the light of the world to save the world! Go to Rhuidean, son of battles! Go to Rhuidean, trickster! Go, gambler! Go!"

Archived