DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

HUGE unoticed thing

Jblaylock

"The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again."

Okay... so, if Rand is LTT reborn, LTT and the Forsaken and all are from a past age, the age of legends, and Rand is in a new age that has "come again", then how the hell do they still know the legends of LTT, the Forsaken, and all the others from the Age of Legends? Those legends haven't even faded to myth yet, not to mention been "long forgotten," so it can't really be a new age born from the turning of the wheel, can it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that is not necessarily true as Rand is sort of an exception since he is the Dragon Reborn. No one remembers the last actual dragon before Lews Therin. We know from what has been in the books that the Dragon and Dark One have been fighting for all of time, but no one knows anything about those previous Dragons from other Ages.

It says "until the age that gave it birth comes again." The third age is different from the second age in many ways. The only real constant is the One Power. Maybe in history, the 2nd age was always the one where the enlightened people discovered a way to reach the dark one, and then they attempted it and then tried to reseal it. And then maybe the third age was always the one where they had to try again, with the reincarnated Dragon. Maybe when this is all over there won't be any more One Power until the next 2nd age occurs and the process repeats itself. Just because the Dragon isn't something that is forgotten doesn't mean he's the most important thing to happen during the turnings of the Wheel.

Plus, I love that opening sequence. Don't ruin it for me. :)

"The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again."

Okay... so, if Rand is LTT reborn, LTT and the Forsaken and all are from a past age, the age of legends, and Rand is in a new age that has "come again", then how the hell do they still know the legends of LTT, the Forsaken, and all the others from the Age of Legends? Those legends haven't even faded to myth yet, not to mention been "long forgotten," so it can't really be a new age born from the turning of the wheel, can it?

Uh, are you serious? You do know that that means an entire revolution? I.e. when the Age of Legends comes again, no one will remember the version of the Age of Legends that is described in the books. Since the books take place in the age immediately after the AoL, they're in the "memories that become legend" phase. You know, "legend" as in "Age of Legends"? You'll also notice that no one in the current Age remembers the last time the world went through the "Last Battle" Age. Seriously: you've completely misunderstood the entire Wheel concept.

Uh, are you serious? You do know that that means an entire revolution? I.e. when the Age of Legends comes again, no one will remember the version of the Age of Legends that is described in the books. Since the books take place in the age immediately after the AoL, they're in the "memories that become legend" phase. You know, "legend" as in "Age of Legends"? You'll also notice that no one in the current Age remembers the last time the world went through the "Last Battle" Age. Seriously: you've completely misunderstood the entire Wheel concept.

Ooooohhhhhhhh. I gotcha. So the turning of the wheel once contains several ages coming and passing. I always just assumed that each time the wheel turned, an age came and passed. But, I guess I should have looked more carefully into those simple words, where it says "ages come and pass".

You made a lot of sense for me here. Pardon my stupid moment.

The next sentence in the openings even explains it:

"In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose...:\"

It is saying the current age has already happen long ago and will happen again in the distant future.

there are seven ages per turning of the wheel, this is in the Big White Book. People forget that this is not common knowledge for those who have not looked at that book i just got it so i feel much more enlightened. So when the "3rd" age comes again no one will have any idea about it just like we don't know even much about the age before the age of legends

there are seven ages per turning of the wheel, this is in the Big White Book. People forget that this is not common knowledge for those who have not looked at that book i just got it so i feel much more enlightened. So when the "3rd" age comes again no one will have any idea about it just like we don't know even much about the age before the age of legends

I had it figured out long before the BWB was published.

I had it figured out long before the BWB was published.

that there were 7 ages, i always thought 1 turning was 1 age and that the numbers meant nothing

I always thought of it like a clock with just the hour hand... At the end of the second age (hour) we move on to the third. "when the age that gives birth to it..." Refers to when the proverbial clock gets all the way back around to the second age.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

there are seven ages per turning of the wheel, this is in the Big White Book. People forget that this is not common knowledge for those who have not looked at that book i just got it so i feel much more enlightened.

You ought to have tried reading the Glossary in, say...Eye Of The World? Or any book up to Lord of Chaos:

Wheel of Time

Time is a wheel with seven spokes, each spoke an Age. As the Wheel turns, the Ages come and go, each leaving memories that fade to legend, then to myth, and are forgotten by the time that Age comes again. The Pattern of an Age is slightly different each time an Age comes, and each time it is subject to greater change, but each time it is the same Age.

That or looked at the symbol that appears on every map in the series, the title page of every book, at the beginning of many, many chapters and at the end of all of them. You know: that Wheel thingy. With the seven spokes?

there are seven ages per turning of the wheel, this is in the Big White Book. People forget that this is not common knowledge for those who have not looked at that book i just got it so i feel much more enlightened.

You ought to have tried reading the Glossary in, say...Eye Of The World? Or any book up to Lord of Chaos:

Wheel of Time

Time is a wheel with seven spokes, each spoke an Age. As the Wheel turns, the Ages come and go, each leaving memories that fade to legend, then to myth, and are forgotten by the time that Age comes again. The Pattern of an Age is slightly different each time an Age comes, and each time it is subject to greater change, but each time it is the same Age.

That or looked at the symbol that appears on every map in the series, the title page of every book, at the beginning of many, many chapters and at the end of all of them. You know: that Wheel thingy. With the seven spokes?

......................well..........but..........you got me, i admit i never looked at that entry. But, to use the picture as a reason people should know there are 7 ages is a little weak. yes that is why it has it but to expect the average or even the above average fan to figure it out just by the picture is a little much. There are a lot, i mean a lot, of things in this series and even some one who is on their 3rd read through, me, can miss things. and fyi none of my friends who read the books have any idea about the 7 ages per turning thing

my understanding is that the Age of Legends and the current age are consecutive, meaning that this is the 3rd age and the AoL is the 2nd. There has to be at least 1 more age (for those who haven't read the BWB), and we've never really heard of anything before the AoL, that is completely lost and it's only 2 ages away.

my understanding is that the Age of Legends and the current age are consecutive, meaning that this is the 3rd age and the AoL is the 2nd. There has to be at least 1 more age (for those who haven't read the BWB), and we've never really heard of anything before the AoL, that is completely lost and it's only 2 ages away.

It's not completely lost, Thom knows stories from the Age before the Age of Legends, or perhaps even older. They're referenced in the Eye of the World. The fight between Musk with his lance of fire that could reach across the world, and Elsbet Queen of All. Also Lenn who rode up to the moon in an eagle made of fire.

i cant believe some people, you ask a simple question and pretty much get told of for not knowing the answer already. the point of these forums is to discuss these books we love so much, ask questions we might have about things so we can discuss and learn from other fans, not be ridiculed because we didnt know an answer.im crawling back under my rock... just got a bit offended by a previous post that could have been worded a bit more tactful.

True on one hand, but on the other the forum has been here for an age in its own right. You have to take eye rolling with a grain of salt, some of us here have been breating WoT forums and FAQs for over two decades now.

and... are people new to the forms are supposed to know every thing that has been written or discussed on here, that kind of attitude drives people away from posting, when people jump on them for having a thought they have not heard before i don't care how many times i see Olver is Gaidel Cane, its just more people posting and joining the discussion

The question I would like answered is this: if all, repeat all, memories of any given Age fade by the next turning, how do they know that there is such a thing as the Wheel?

I've asked that question before, and never got an answer.

They don't know; they believe.

Now... how that belief system came to be, since it obviously could not have passed down by word of mouth or in writing from one turning of the wheel to another, since not even memories survive that, I do not know. Maybe they guessed? Maybe "the Creator" put it in their minds. Maybe there is no wheel, and it's just a theory they all believe for some reason, and one that they will find out was WRONG in the end. :darkone:

Archived